“Way more than what you may expect!”

The Old Courthouse Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Powell River
Reviewed 18 July 2013

This place has to be seen to be appreciated, very quaint facility for sure. The owners were incredibly hospitable and made us feel very welcome. The included breakfast was a multitude of choices including eggs Benny! Where else can you find this? Overall a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We picked this Inn from a web review, and were thrilled that we did. The whole inn, including the rooms, were decorated with antiques, and is located in an historic district. Yes, it is located next to the papermill, but so was the historic townsite,and at is a part of the history! We were welcomed by JP, one of the owners, who was a pleasure to meet - lots of information and suggestions. In fact, the cafe in the hotel is named after his mother, and the food was excellent. We would certainly stay here when we are back in Powell River.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We enjoyed this lovely old hotel - clean, friendly service, good breakfast on the large deck. The location worked well for us - a short trip to the lovely Lund and back, and mere steps away from the renowned Townsite Brewing and a funky little restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed one night at the Old Courthouse Inn in Powell River. The hotel itself is great. It's an old-fashioned interior, great decor with lots of vintage items. It has a restaurant as part of it with a nice deck you can sit out and eat on. The owner and all the people there are friendly, helpful and the service is excellent. Room was very clean and nice and thoughtfully put together. Everything worked fine. Dinner and breakfast were great. Dinner was very reasonable.
BUT, all of this was offset by the fact that instead of the great view of the sea that I expected as my room and the restaurant deck face out on the sea, there was a large, fully functioning wood pulp plant with large chimney stacks belching steam day and night and with the rumble, albeit fairly quiet, of machinery going on through the night. I would like to have been warned of this before going to the hotel. I would probably have chosen somewhere else. I had imagined a beautiful view of the British Columbia coastline. There is an all-pervading smell of wood pulp being processed. It's not noxious or anything but it is there most of the time.
So, I don't like criticizing but I do feel that visitors should be warned of the setting of this hotel and some people may be very happy with the history of the pulp mill etc. But it spoiled it for me. At least you should know before you get there.
I could add a photo of the pulp mill but it would not really be fair as I don't have photos of the inn itself to go with it and the inn is really nice.

Room Tip: I don't know what the other rooms are like. Mine was fine.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank davidcp10
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Spent a night recently on our vacation. Located in the Old Mill Townsite.. the hotel has a history, the rooms were decorated in yesteryear antique furniture. High ceilings ..10'... Very clean..and the proprietors were warm friendly and helpful. The hotel is also pet friendly.. and the food at the restaurant is reasonably priced and delicious!.. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Pet friendly
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My sisters had stayed at this Inn three years ago when the previous owners owned it and loved their experience. We booked the "Sweet Suite" which turned out to be like a large sized apartment, fully furnished with full kitchen. When we got their our charming Host JP gave us a tour of the Courthouse Inn which has been recently renovated and decorated with very tasteful antiques. The nostalgic cafe was a highlight as well. The food was great and the staff were super friendly. Our whole experience was top notch. After staying here for one week all four of us didn't have one negative thing to say. We all agreed that we would never consider staying anywhere else and we will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Yes, some people may not apprectiate the distance of the pulp mill. I for one find the history of the Pulp Mill fascinating.
I love the fact that The Old Courthouse Inn brings one back in time.
The history and old memories made me feel as though I had gone back in time.
I love looking at the old war ships ( Hulks) and having all the essentials in walking distance.
This was my second stay but thanks to the new and fabulous owners it was by far the best experience.
I have been visiting Powell River for the past 33 years since I moved away. I had the best breakfasts at The Old Courthouse Inn and by far the best menu to choose from ever!
The experience of staying at the O.C.I. If full of loving memories I will hold close to my heart always.
The originality of the cafe is so beautiful!
Thank you to all the staff!

Room Tip: The Sweet Suite is perfect for family get togethers. So much room, privacy and includes everything o...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 7 in Powell River
Westview Centre Motel
Westview Centre Motel
#4 of 7 in Powell River

Been to The Old Courthouse Inn? Share your experiences!