“wonderful experience”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Powell River
Campbell River
“wonderful experience”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This beautifully appointed hotel is a comfortable oasis in a historic community. Restored with taste and whimsy, the place was sparkling clean and felt cosy. Lots of cool, eclectic memorabilia make this destination unique. We had a wonderful time and the owners took great care of us. The restaurant below serves breakfast to a lively local crowd.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

In my profession I travel a fair amount and stay in many hotels. After a few unpleasant stays at other hotels in Powel River, I thought I would try something a little different. After just a couple of stays at The Old Courthouse Inn, I look forward to going back each time I leave.
I find that the little thing are what count the most, for example...the sheets are changed to flannel in the winter, they have very good water pressure, comfortable beds, and very friendly staff that make you feel like you are at home.
Like I said, I have stayed in many hotels....and this is the first time I wanted to give a review:)
Thanks JP! See you in 3 months!
Paul

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul T
Mission, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2013

For our first ever bed & breakfast experience, we chose The Old Courthouse Inn in Powell River where we spend a long weekend visiting family. I knew we were in for something different when I made the reservation and JP asked for our names, including our 3 1/2 year old daughter's. We were warmly welcomed on our check in process. When we couldn't figure out how our door lock worked, JP took the time to immediately show us the trick to getting it working properly, and we even enjoyed some "family style" joking around it. Every time we saw any staff member, we were greeted with warm smiles and a sincere interest in our days events and experience at the b&b. They staff was also very knowledgeable about the area and pointed us in the right direction when we asked about beaches to check out. We left on a holiday Monday and although Edie Rae's cafe was closing at 9:00 am so their staff could enjoy time with their family, we were offered breakfast. I have already recommended the OCI to anyone who will listen and we will definitely make a reservation the next time that we head up to visit family.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sheriff's Office and although our window was at the very end of the outdoor pat...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
North Vancouver
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Wonderful times! we want to thank you two for being so gracious and warm with our Stay at the Old Courthouse, the personal connections to the building + the area really made our stay an adventure.Everything from the decor ,the artwork and the great food in Edie Rae's cafe[not to mention cocktails on the patio]. Really was one of the summer high lights for us,keep up the good work ,your hospitality does not go unnoticed.
- Mike + Debbie Wakefield North Vancouver.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed 11 September 2013

What a wonderful warm experience we had at the OCI in Powell River. From the genuinely friendly greeting of JP to the careful attention at dinner and breakfast, we were treated like stars! Our room was very comfortable and quaint. The Tapas menu for dinner was just right and the food beautifully presented and so delicious. Try the dates stuffed with goat cheese, wrapped in bacon! Breakfast was another delicious treat with many tasty offerings. It was difficult to choose. Large portions well prepared and the pint of orange juice - amazing! We will definitely be back for another taste of this beautiful inn with more time to explore Powell River.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Fort Langley, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My husband and I have stayed at a few places in Powell River and this was by far the BEST. We really enjoyed the old world charm mix with new world amenities in our room. JP and Kelly have done a great job with this old place. From the choice of carpeting to the fabulous bed linens, they have really hit it on the mark for us. We enjoyed the breakfast we had in Edie Rae's. Good home style food. We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My 2 teenage sons and I arrived via ferry from Vancouver Island at around 9pm without a booking. I looked at my car's GPS for accommodation locations nearby for one night as we were on route to Lund for a kayaking trip starting the next day. Even though it was 10 mins from town, I chose the "Old Courthouse Inn" because of the inherent mystique attached to the name. I love historical places which display their individuality, and this wonderful Inn was the old courthouse located in the old town centre, decked out in interesting artifacts and antiques recalling days gone by! (further down the road we found the "Old Jail Café" and had a yummy lunch there in one of 3 jail cells!)
Fortunately they had room 1 available which had one queen bedroom along with a separate large living room where they were able to make up 2 beds for my boys. There was a private bathroom for our room across the hallway which was small but perfectly adequate. This is not a modern hotel cookie cutter format, which I found refreshing and much homelier. The extra attention to details in the rooms was definitely appreciated by us!
The host also phoned around local restaurants for us to find one which was still open at such a late hour for our dinner, and we went across the road to the bar and had a fine meal with great views of the Inn and beyond.
Breakfast which was included was delicious with amazing a la carte choices, and we had it out on the deck overlooking the view back to Vancouver Island. Yes there was the working old Paper Mill to our right, which we were told is the oldest in BC. It is now steam though and there is no smell. Do not let the factory put you off staying at the Old Courthouse, it is part of the history of the area!
WE would have stayed here on our return but unfortunately they were booked out and we had to stay at an adequate but boring cookie cutter hotel in the new town centre instead! Next time we will book ahead!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 7 in Powell River
Beyond Bliss Suites
Beyond Bliss Suites
#1 of 19 in Powell River

Been to The Old Courthouse Inn? Share your experiences!