“Relaxing”

Oceanside Resort Motel
Fort McMurray, Alberta
“Relaxing”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We have stayed at the Oceanside resort three times now. My boyfriend and I grew up in Powell River and come home as often as we can. At least twice a year. We stay at the resort because it is so dog friendly and our two bulldogs love it. I love the rustic cabins, that are very clean and cozy. The workers are friendly and helpful. We always feel like our privacy is respected. All the regulars that live there are friendly and respectful. It is a nice quiet place. I love the convenience of having all the kitchen supplies I need all I have to do is pick up some food. We will be staying at the resort every time we come to town and know that we will enjoy it.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Edmonton
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel for four long days. I did not even feel comfortable leaving my belongings when I left for the day.
Its a trailer park.... children are running around unsupervised. Parents are drinking and smoking pot. The staff were also drinking, and driving around in a golf cart under the influence.
The bed and bedding was disgusting!! I think the mattress are 50 years old. It smelled like urine.
I would never stay here again, nor would I recommend anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: do not shay here
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Loriarndt
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Clean, great service, real people, locally owned and run, beside a small regional marine park.
Diverse accommodation, not just like every other place! refreshingly real, inexpensive if shared, on par for solo travelers

• Stayed August 2013
Uk
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Past eviews have been very mixed, and I can understand why.
It's a rather strange place, and you may love it or hate. Entering the site down a narrow lane, it's somewhat difficult to tell which cabins belong to it.

It's a crowded site with a play park, games room, Indoor pool, and a mix of cabin types very close together. Some renovation is underway. The. Bright and breezy lady on reception was very helpful and showed us to Cabin N which had a partial ocean view.

The cabin was very clean and comfortable with a mix of modern and vintage furniture, and rustic decor, which may or may not be to your liking. The shower had no curtain so we needed to cope with a very wet floor. The kitchen area was well equipped.
It seems to me that this is not just a "resort".....it appears to be semi residential. the vehicles parked outside the cabins were mostly pickup trucks, so maybe it's used a lot by contractors ??
There's a certain untidiness about the exterior, with a lot of boxes, DIY materials etc sitting around.
Previous reviewers mentioned that they saw people smoking pot etc.....we did not , but there were a few colourful characters around....though that does not constitute a problem or a complaint.

Depending on your attitude, you might describe this place as........colourful and quirky, ??
organically grown, ? delightfully rustic, ? a DIY nightmare, ??
a haphazard arrangement of accommodation ?..or....well .....chance it and let us all know .

Room Tip: Check out the options......there could be a lot of variation
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I have been coming to Oceanside since 2007, after having a very bad experience at the Lang Bay Motel. I was traveling with my eighteen month old son. I felt very safe staying at Oceanside, as everyone was so friendly, even the residents that stay for months at a time. Unlike recent posts, I have never experienced any of the residents smoking pot or drinking, as this would not be acceptable in the presence of my now seven year old son. We have been coming back every year, sometimes twice, and have had a great experience every time. Oceanside is a private, clean, affordable, home away from home, the staff are respectful of your privacy but will go out of their way to help. My son and I love going to the private beach every day and they are very dog friendly, which is hard to find! My son and I are big fans of this place and will be coming back for years to come! P.S BeautifulBCGirl, Teenas3, and Loriardnt......go to a spa retreat!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Mission, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We recently stayed at Oceanside Resort in one of the oceanfront cabins. Our cabin was clean, fully stocked and So roomy. My husband commented that our mattress was even more comfortable than home! I have a bad back and I had to agree. We loved sitting out having our coffee in the morning on our deck and watching the seals, and eagles. When we mentioned the eagles Joan the owner went and got a fish head and threw it out on the beach. Within minutes the eagle swooped down fast, grabbed it in its talons and off he went with a flock of angry ravens behind. The owners were friendly quite helpful and knowledgeable about the area. We went hiking, fishing and kayaking and know we will be returning. There are so many more things we want to do! Thank you Oceanside!

Room Tip: Loved the view from the oceanfront cabin. Glad we had binoculars with us.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

The cabin was dirty smelly house keepers Didnt come to ur cabin to see if u needed anything very much only one time and I stayed there for a week really expensive for not having much in the cabin and lazy staff members sketchy people outside that live there drinking smokin weed and just a bunch of dirty people i wouldn't recommend this place to anyone worst place I've ever stayed at

• Stayed August 2013
#8 of 10 in Powell River
Westview Centre Motel
Westview Centre Motel
#4 of 7 in Powell River

Been to Oceanside Resort Motel? Share your experiences!