“Oceanside - our home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oceanside Resort Motel

Oceanside Resort Motel
Fanny Bay, Canada
“Oceanside - our home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

After years of travelling from hotel to hotel with my husband, I consider myself a pretty good judge of travel accommodations. I'm very picky about housekeeping and customer service issues. I'm hard to please, just ask my husband!

I'm incredibly surprised by some of the reviews for Oceanside, as after four years of visits here, several times a year I have yet to experience any of the issues some previous reviewers have cited. In fact, we consider Oceanside our home during our visits in Powell River. So much so, that after many visits this was our only choice of venue when we got married last year.

We had an EXCEPTIONAL experience - the staff worked day and night to have everything perfect for our special weekend - they accommodated every one of our whims and desires and even brought us a special gift back from their personal trip to Thailand, which we loved as an addition to our party! We filled every nook and cranny on the resort they had available to us and EACH AND EVERY one of our guests continues to tell us what a great time they had during our wedding weekend. So much so that our one year anniversary party this year turned into a five cabin extravaganza - now it's not our little secret anymore!

All the staff and local residents make us feel like family. It's a GREAT venue for kids, as they can never get bored with miles of beach and well equipped playground to keep them busy. We've attempted to find something in the same price range with similar amenities closer to home so we could get this kind of experience more often and NOTHING compares. Similarly outfitted venues in other areas are priced at least $100-$200 more per night.

I'd say if you choose to listen to some of the angrier reviews you'd be missing out on a really wonderful experience. Your choice though I guess, just more dates for us to be there ;)

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I'm surprised at some of the comments on this site regarding Oceanside as I have personally stayed at this lodge 5 times now in the last 3 & 1/2 years.
Just returned home from a 4-day stay, this time in cabin H and couldn't wait to check-in.

I have personally stayed in 3 of their cabins on the water now and cabin H is the best so far.

The cabin was perfectly cleaned for our arrival, the kitchen area and bathroom were spotless.
The beds were nice and firm and I slept like a rock each and every night.
Wood provided under the deck was great for our beach bonfires we had each night to watch the sunset and chat with our family and just spend time roasting some hot dogs.
The waterfront cabins look out to Myrtle Rocks which, when the tide goes out, can be walked to and enjoyed. When the tide is in, you can see many seals as they hunt and catch the fish/salmon in the bay. On check-out day there were about 20+ seals hunting right in front of us. Quite amazing!
There is also breakfast included in the price which was just lovely. Fresh coffee and a lovely breakfast that you can go dine and make for yourself at your convenience. There is nothing but freindly attitudes here and no complaints.
The room had a flatscreen tv above the fireplace. Fireplace not needed this time as we ended up having beautiful sunny and very warm days this time. Last time we were here was January and it was windy and rainy so the fireplace was wonderful!
The rooms also have free wifi and very fast wifi I would like to add. We had quite a few devices connected (phones, ipad, laptop) and no connectivity issues at all.
Cabin H does not have the patio doors to the deck just windows, big lovely windows that look out to the water and tides and most gorgeous view you could ask for. 4 great big comfy chairs for us to sit in or take to the lower level in the sand to circle our bonfire.
The walls of our cabins do not share with another cabin so we didn't hear anyone or neighbours at all. In fact, we heard nothing but ourselves. It made for very peaceful and relaxing sleeps.

I would recommend Oceanside to pretty much anyone. It is beautiful.
Very friendly staff on hand in the event you need anything, just ask.
I will always book with Oceanside for my return trips.
Thanks.

Room Tip: Cabin H is now my new favorite.
1 Thank Mike B
Langley City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

My family has made it a priority to all come together on the May long weekend at Oceanside for a few years now. This was the first time my husband and I along with our 2 kids aged almost 4 and almost 2 decided to stay on site with everyone. In saying that, we did join them last year for my cousin's wedding which I should add was perfect!
When we arrived Saturday around 11 am, I went to check in and I was helped by the most friendly, bubbly great lady! She made a point of noticing we were in a bachelor style room and took the time to say that just wouldn't do with 2 little ones so she offered us a 2 bedroom waterfront cabin instead as she had a cancellation...yes please!!! For $105 per night we could not go wrong!. After poking her head in our van and saying hello to my husband and kids, she proceeded to walk us over to our cabin, open the door and wish us a wonderful stay. Thank you, we will!!
We started un-loading into our 2 bedroom, oceanfront cabin with our own deck with outdoor furniture, fire pit, dining table, fully equipped kitchen, tv and couch...aaahhhh heaven to someone who just wanted to leave the city behind!
We spent our weekend flying kites, watching the eagles and sea lions, hiking to the island when the tide was out, looking for crabs (my daughter did a lot of that...in fact, the dirtier she was, the happier she was), digging for fresh clams and oysters...nothing beats Uncle Larry's recipes and Richard's clam chowder! We ate together as a family, we visited and had a fantastic time re-connecting with no other distractions...we didn't even see the staff at Oceanside unless we needed something. They were always happy to help...oh and did I mention new this year was the continental breakfast with hot waffles! Nothing beats that topped with strawberries and syrup, sipping a Bailey's coffee while watching the tide slowly roll out.
Listen, if you are looking for a high end, pretentious, hoity toity beach front cabin this is not your place but if you want a place where you can go and relax and unwind from all the day to day stresses nothing beats this. Coffee on the beach with your pajamas still on....a glass of wine and fresh seafood over a campfire or watching your kids have a ball at the playground with all the toys they could ever imagine....that is a little slice of heaven!
We are already booked for next May Long Weekend and I cannot wait..counting down the days! Thank you Oceanside for reminding me to slow down and enjoy!

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the oceanfront...nothing beats the view!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

For the discerning traveller, interested in the real parts if life, great people, gréât service, clean respectable rooms, not just same old drywall and paint! Unique, not for the bourgeoisie! Situated beside a gem of a regional marine park- tidal flats, island, good swimming (July/august), walking, campfires!

• Stayed May 2014
Duncan, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We saw a brochure for this place while on the evening ferry. The price for a room, which is all we needed for the night, looked reasonable for off season, and the photos promised a middle of the road sort of place in an extraordinary setting. Everything in the room was steeped in tobacco, The floors were grubby and sticky, When I pulled back the comforter a spider hurried off from under the blanket. A frog woke us up in the morning, he must be living in the corner behind the fridge. All the furniture is beyond redemption and the toilet rocks when you sit down. No toilet paper holder, bugs in the shower and the entry door can be chained but doesn't stay shut. Thick tobacco smoke oozed from the neighboring room on one side, from the other direction somebody snored loudly all night long. All the seaside cottages seemed to have boxes of garbage or ??? sitting along the walls. Our path to the door was littered and the outdoor furniture hadn't been wiped in months. Enough said?

Room Tip: Don't get a room here.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank elri2014
Joan6099, Owner at Oceanside Resort Motel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, I'm sorry our establishment did not meet your expectations. The maintenance crew has been made aware of the issues in the cabin that need immediate attention. Cleaning staff has been shown where improvements are required. At the time of your stay we had a large crew of tree planters staying with us, they have been staying with us twice a year for the last ten years. The boxes against the cabins were the seedling trees waiting to be planted. Thank you again for your concerns.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I went there with my husband and 2 year old son. Although it seems a little run-down (like it's heyday was a few years ago), we thoroughly enjoyed it. The location is great (right on the water). We stayed in a 2-bedroom unit (with loft). It was very comfortable. Our son liked the playground and we spent a lot of time in the central area which was fairly contained and quiet (no need about worrying about our son running into traffic). The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Fort McMurray, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

We have stayed at the Oceanside resort three times now. My boyfriend and I grew up in Powell River and come home as often as we can. At least twice a year. We stay at the resort because it is so dog friendly and our two bulldogs love it. I love the rustic cabins, that are very clean and cozy. The workers are friendly and helpful. We always feel like our privacy is respected. All the regulars that live there are friendly and respectful. It is a nice quiet place. I love the convenience of having all the kitchen supplies I need all I have to do is pick up some food. We will be staying at the resort every time we come to town and know that we will enjoy it.

• Stayed December 2013