“Finally gave it another try--glad I did”
Review of Magpie's Diner

Magpie's Diner
Ranked #12 of 77 Restaurants in Powell River
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My last experience with Magpie's was frankly one of the worst I have ever had in a local restaurant. I have not been back since. When I heard they had moved into the old Wilshire's store, though, I had to try them again because I loved that place and wanted someone to do something there again. I also view the business as local and will always support that. In any case, I am glad I did--we had lunch and it was great. I had a club sandwich of some sort and it was fresh, delicious, and huge. It was served with a nice mixed green salad, the coffee was good, and the service was quick and friendly. My companion was uncharacteristically quiet (being fully occupied with her own meal) but later told me her Reuben was wonderful. I think Magpie's may have found its fit--the place is big enough to accommodate people comfortably and they have kept much of the ambiance of the original business. I will recommend this to my summer guests.

1  Thank Neverpearl

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Went to Magpies for the first time. I look forward to going back. The food is great! Love the new location. The service was excellent and the staff friendly. Also, it was easily wheelchair accessible. I had eggs benedict, all the ingredients were fresh and the meal was reasonably priced.

1  Thank Maggie195611
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The staff at Magpies must be exhausted after just two days' operation--the place was packed both days! Day One, they ran out of the homemade soup (very good) and potatoes and had to close a little before the stipulated 3 p.m. I had to wait a good half hour for my perogies; later learned that only one burner on the stove decided to work. (So glad I wasn't the cook--what a situation on opening day!) Day Two, staff started off our conversation with a warning about he expected delay. They were right: a 40-minute wait for my bennies florentine, but damn! they were good! I'd forgotten to say, "Eggs not runny, please," but they were perfect. Sauce very tasty. Potatoes proper; spinach fresh.
I drink coffee once a week and prefer top-rated, burr-ground espresso-style coffee prepared either by french press or by espresso machine. Well, that's not here, at all; so the restaurant's generous habit of refilling the coffee cups bypassed me. Tea? There seems to be no herbal tea--at least yet--so I brought my own green-tea baggie. First day the hot water was free; second day, $2. So I guess I'm down to water, unless I want an ice-cream float.
I seldom eat out and therefore look for a health-food focus when I do. That isn't big at Magpies'. However, with 17 breakfast choices (the Big Breakfast should be called Humongous) and 18 lunch choices, plus 8 types of bennies and a slew of sides available from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., there will be something for everyone on this menu.
The old wooden floor and high ceiligns make for a less than quiet atmosphere--this is not the place for poetry readings and long philosophical discussions. For competent, filling breakfasts and just about anything for lunch, however, Mapies' is sure to please.
Expect to spend about $15 per person before tip.