Having lived in the Bay for nearly 2 years - The Oceanfront Grand Resort has had bad press from the day we arrived. We've heard many stories of the last owners, last management and the reputation of the previous staff, the food and the decor.
As a local - I only set foot in the hotel once for delivering a wedding cake last August - before last Friday that was!
I HAVE to write this review on two counts:-
1: The wedding venue is PHENOMENAL, the views from the Wedding Breakfast room are FANTASTIC. The wedding photo's I was lucky to see (from the cake) looked as though they had spent an absolute fortune on their venue. They were simply STUNNING, the sea backdrop, blue sky, gorgeous sun. I would not hesitate to recommend the Oceanfront Grand Resort for such an event!!
2: Last Friday 27th - we decided that for our 16th Wedding Anniversary we would try "something a little different" to usual. There are lots of great "eats" in our village but as i'd seen an advertisement for Kitchen Staff at the OGR and it mentioned "butchering the whole animal", "Locally sourced foods" as well as "attitude is important" - I thought you know what - I have to go take a look for myself, the words sprung out to me that the new management really seem to know a)what they want and b) what they are are talking about!.
So we ventured down last Friday night - no reservation, we were greeted warmly by the Receptionist on duty. We were then greeted again very warmly as we walked into the Restaurant "are you joining us for Dinner" - yes please!
The waitresses pointed us to our seats, which were in a fantastic spot. We were given our menus. The short menu is ideal - YOU KNOW ITS COOKED FRESH!!!
We were given bread, water and we chose our beverages. We chose our appetizers and mains and watched the water whilst we chatted. Now if you are a foodie, you'll not mind waiting that little bit extra for your food - the wait was not long not even enough to mention really - but I must if you are thinking of popping in. Its cooked to order, the quality outstanding - therefore ease up, sip your wine and enjoy the view!.
We ordered: Brie wedges and crab cakes. The portions were very good, the plating delightful. The attention to detail was evident and it was very well executed. We swapped about a bit so we could taste each others - my Husband ate every morsal - he usually leaves tomatoes but actually made me try one as they were so "awesome". I loved the Brie as did I the Ciabatta type wafer toasts, asparagus and tomato salsa - devine and they complimented each other perfectly.
The Entrees - Steak and I had the Wild Sockeye Salmon. Again presentation was wonderful. The vegetables were very tasty, the roast potatoes creamy in the middle. The Salmon was a very healthy portion and was complimented by the Wasabi Mayonnaise. I would like to tell you about the Steak - but my Husband ate it all and wouldn't let me taste it hahah. All he would say "that was really good, sorry you missed out".
I think it is fair to say that the decor is in need of a overhaul, the windows a clean, a table cloth, side plate here and there and the ditching of the "clipboards" but if you found exceptional food at a reasonable price ($100 for 2, with plenty of drinks, attentive staff, fantastic food, gorgeous view!) - would it matter what the place looked like? I think not.
This management have made changes which are evident already - starting with their staff - I'd heard such bad things but I can't compliment them enough - very professional and attentive. I think its about time us locals gave them a helping hand to make some more changes - by frequenting their Eaterie! With that will come profit and then new decor - lets get it back to where it once was!!!!
(Quickly I must also say that they are also opening for Lunch and for Breakfast - where the butchering of the animal comes in - they MAKE THEIR OWN BACON!!!! - We are visiting Saturday to see how that fayres (with a couple of our neighbours) - i'll be back to tell you! - im looking forward to it!!).
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK OGR - TO BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay is idyllically nestled in the Cowichan Valley, between Victoria and Nanaimo, in the seaside village of Cowichan Bay. With its eclectic collection of shops and restaurants and the wharves filled with, sail boats, fishing boats and floating homes it is one of the most picturesque, secret locations on Vancouver Island. The Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay offers 56 spacious suites, all facing the ocean. Each is equipped with a master bedroom, bathroom, and a comfortable living and dining area. Most are equipped with a complete kitchen. Whether you’re looking for an outdoor adventure, romantic getaway, family vacation or a special wedding destination, The Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay can deliver in comfort and style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oceanfront Suites At Cowichan Bay Hotel Cowichan Bay
- Oceanfront Grand Resort Marina
- Oceanfront Grand Hotel Marina
- Oceanfront Suites At Cowichan Bay Vancouver Island