“Dinner @ Terrain Regional Kitchen - GO CHECK IT OUT!”

Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowichan Bay
Cowichan Bay, Canada
“Dinner @ Terrain Regional Kitchen - GO CHECK IT OUT!”
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Having lived in the Bay for nearly 2 years - The Oceanfront Grand Resort has had bad press from the day we arrived. We've heard many stories of the last owners, last management and the reputation of the previous staff, the food and the decor.

As a local - I only set foot in the hotel once for delivering a wedding cake last August - before last Friday that was!

I HAVE to write this review on two counts:-

1: The wedding venue is PHENOMENAL, the views from the Wedding Breakfast room are FANTASTIC. The wedding photo's I was lucky to see (from the cake) looked as though they had spent an absolute fortune on their venue. They were simply STUNNING, the sea backdrop, blue sky, gorgeous sun. I would not hesitate to recommend the Oceanfront Grand Resort for such an event!!

2: Last Friday 27th - we decided that for our 16th Wedding Anniversary we would try "something a little different" to usual. There are lots of great "eats" in our village but as i'd seen an advertisement for Kitchen Staff at the OGR and it mentioned "butchering the whole animal", "Locally sourced foods" as well as "attitude is important" - I thought you know what - I have to go take a look for myself, the words sprung out to me that the new management really seem to know a)what they want and b) what they are are talking about!.

So we ventured down last Friday night - no reservation, we were greeted warmly by the Receptionist on duty. We were then greeted again very warmly as we walked into the Restaurant "are you joining us for Dinner" - yes please!

The waitresses pointed us to our seats, which were in a fantastic spot. We were given our menus. The short menu is ideal - YOU KNOW ITS COOKED FRESH!!!

We were given bread, water and we chose our beverages. We chose our appetizers and mains and watched the water whilst we chatted. Now if you are a foodie, you'll not mind waiting that little bit extra for your food - the wait was not long not even enough to mention really - but I must if you are thinking of popping in. Its cooked to order, the quality outstanding - therefore ease up, sip your wine and enjoy the view!.

We ordered: Brie wedges and crab cakes. The portions were very good, the plating delightful. The attention to detail was evident and it was very well executed. We swapped about a bit so we could taste each others - my Husband ate every morsal - he usually leaves tomatoes but actually made me try one as they were so "awesome". I loved the Brie as did I the Ciabatta type wafer toasts, asparagus and tomato salsa - devine and they complimented each other perfectly.

The Entrees - Steak and I had the Wild Sockeye Salmon. Again presentation was wonderful. The vegetables were very tasty, the roast potatoes creamy in the middle. The Salmon was a very healthy portion and was complimented by the Wasabi Mayonnaise. I would like to tell you about the Steak - but my Husband ate it all and wouldn't let me taste it hahah. All he would say "that was really good, sorry you missed out".

I think it is fair to say that the decor is in need of a overhaul, the windows a clean, a table cloth, side plate here and there and the ditching of the "clipboards" but if you found exceptional food at a reasonable price ($100 for 2, with plenty of drinks, attentive staff, fantastic food, gorgeous view!) - would it matter what the place looked like? I think not.

This management have made changes which are evident already - starting with their staff - I'd heard such bad things but I can't compliment them enough - very professional and attentive. I think its about time us locals gave them a helping hand to make some more changes - by frequenting their Eaterie! With that will come profit and then new decor - lets get it back to where it once was!!!!

(Quickly I must also say that they are also opening for Lunch and for Breakfast - where the butchering of the animal comes in - they MAKE THEIR OWN BACON!!!! - We are visiting Saturday to see how that fayres (with a couple of our neighbours) - i'll be back to tell you! - im looking forward to it!!).

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK OGR - TO BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CowBayInk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2011

We stayed a night to celebrate our anniversary. We found the staff to be friendly, professional and helpful, the rooms to be spacious and clean. The view and location are excellent. The hotel is obviously going through updating and perhaps one could argue the rooms are a little dated, but for us it was absolutely fine. If you are REALLY fussy, maybe you'd be better off staying elsewhere (like one of the highest-end hotels in Victoria, because you won't find anything better from Duncan north on the island!)

The restaurant is still closed for renovations, but apparently will open soon. The pool and weight room areas have been recently renovated.

We stayed in a corner one bedroom suite - has a full kitchen, although as others have mentioned, no microwave yet.

Although Cowichan Bay is less than an hour from Victoria, it feels like a world away. We'll certainly return to the Grand Resort for other mini-getaways.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DRSouthern
ManagerOGR, General Manager at Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Dear DRSouthern,

Thank you very much for sharing your great experience with us! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to continuing to welcome you back to Cowichan Bay!
We are pleased to let you know that we are currently undergoing some exciting and refreshing improvements to the hotel. You will soon see some updates to our guest room furnishings & bedding, including microwaves in all of the kitchenettes. Our restaurant in the hotel is now open! Terrain Regional Kitchen is a regionally inspired dining experience where all of the dishes are made from locally sourced ingredients. We also have OceanGlo Wellness Spa opening June 1st in the hotel. You will be able indulge in unique therapies of wellness and relaxation in the spa or soon to come the oceanside cabana.

Best Regards,
Lisa McCormick
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We stayed here even after reading some horrible reviews (choices are limited in the area). I have to say that our experience wasn't bad at all. The staff were very pleasant and helpful (not that we needed a lot of help, but recommendations for and directions to dining options were appreciated). We had a 1 bed suite. The only criticisms would be that somebody should turn the heat on the day guests are arrivine...it was pretty chilly and with the marble floor took a while to warm up. I also found it odd that there was no microwave...but certainly not a deal-breaker. The layout of the kitchen/dining area was a bit strange..lol..there was this triangular area off to the side that was completely unused...I'm not sure what you would use it for though...seems like a lot of wasted space. I will warn people that cell reception is sporadic at best with complete loss of service for 1/2 an hour or so at a time...that's beyond the hotel's control though.
The king size bed was very comfortable, the room was quiet, the bathroom was very clean.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerOGR, Manager at Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay, responded to this review, 2 February 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad to hear that the Front Desk Staff were pleasant and helpful, and that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am disappointed to hear that your room was not at a comfortable temperature when you arrived however, as this is a standard procedure for us, and I will certainly follow up with my Housekeeping staff to ensure this does not happen again.
As mentioned in my previous manager response, we are now operated by a new management company and are in the process of updating certain amenities in each guest room including microwaves.

We look forward to having you stay with us again, and hope that you will enjoy the positive changes soon to come!

Regards,

Rachel Quesnel
Hotel Manager
Oceanfront Grand Resort & Marina
Comox, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Yes we asked for a pet friendly King room but the bedroom did not have a door. We also asked for an efficiency kitchen and got one but without a microwave. No bottled water supplied. Not a napkin to be found.
The best thing about the room was the decent mattress but the red duck tape holding the dust ruffle to the bed was a decoration we could have done without. The alarm clock supplied annoying feedback all night and the barking seals in the bay were loud enough to be heard through my earplugs.
Very bare essentials and not a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ValleyDlite
ManagerOGR, Manager at Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay, responded to this review, 20 January 2011
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not a pleasant one. With respect to the kitchenettes, each of our guest suites does offer a kitchenette with a full size fridge, stove/oven but unfortunately no microwaves, and this is something we hope to change in the near future. I do like your suggestion regarding having napkins in the guest suites, and am now in the process of implementing this - thank you.
Being an Ocean Front Hotel, we do on occasion have some "noisy" visitors (the sea lions that you refer to) in the marina as well as other marine life such as seals, otters, whales and eagles.
As of Jan. 1st, 2011 the Hotel has acquired a new management company, and there are many exciting changes happening with more to come over the next few months.
We hope to see you back here in the near future!

Regards,
Harbour House Hotel
Harbour House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Ganges
Best Western Plus Chemainus Inn

Been to Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay? Share your experiences!