“Fantastic weekend getaway on Vancouver island bc” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay

Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowichan Bay
Vancouver, Canada
“Fantastic weekend getaway on Vancouver island bc”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

This hotel/resort is located right on the beach with a marina directly in front. There is a great restaurant on the fifth floor and a spa on the first floor. The first two floors allow dogs which is why we booked this resort. There is coffee in the morning in the lobby and ice/lemon water served the rest of the day. Each room is a suite with full electric oven, microwave, full fridge and dinner setting for two. You can request extra utensils by calling the lobby. Each room faces the ocean and the first floor has walk out sun deck. The other floors have floor to ceiling windows in the living room and the bedroom. We stayed in room 210 and the bed was extremely comfortable and my son slept in the living room on a hides bed and said he thought it was very comfortable for a pull out bed. The resort is conveniently located steps from all the great shops and other restaurants.

Room Tip: First floor has walk out balcony onto the lawn.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Ucluelet, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

I chose this hotel over the many cheaper options in Duncan as I wanted a treat. I was not disappointed. It was so nice to come in to a quiet room and nice view. Check in was smooth on our later arrival on May 17. However, the girl that checked us in was having a fairly loud personal conversation on the phone upon our arrival in the lobby as well as during our in and out afterwards. We were given clear directions and she did share all the hotel ammenities which we were unable to use during our stay. The girl who checked us out was cheerful and attentive. Given the opportunity I would stat here again if I were looking for a quaint and quiet retreat.

• Stayed May 2013
Whistler
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I had read some of the Tripadvisor comments and was worried but as I was booked in for a night by the folk I was working with I decided to take a risk and stay there for the other night rather than change hotels - What a great surprise - the room was fabulous - I could watch the birds from my room and to top it all it had a full kitchen. I travel a lot and being able to eat in, is a pleasure!
The staff were amazing - The bedroom TV did not work so I hope they get a cord that can actually plugs into the wall - I was working so it was not a major issue but could be if folk are on holiday !

Room Tip: Ask for a Sea view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank anafricanincanada
West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Hotel staff were gracious and welcoming. Rooms were great, deluxe. Good a la carte restaurant. Rooms had tile and wood floors and all had views of the marina at Cowichan Bay. Enjoy our stay and suite was well worth it, with a pull out queen bed in the living room. Restaurant staff were amazing and were informed about the best places and wineries to visit. Close to Cherry Point and Maple Bay, both nice places to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for one that isn't on a bend, as there will be more delightful views.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula C
ManagerOFS, General Manager at Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Hello Paula C,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. The hotel is a wonderful small easy getaway from the lower mainland, and we take pride in providing our guests with comfortable accommodations, and warm and friendly associates.

Colin Mantell
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

I have read the reviews since the start of 2013 and presume everyone else stayed on a weekend.

We stayed Sunday and Monday nights and were most surprised to find out there would be no breakfast available on either morning. As we reviewed the hotel on the web prior to booking, it gives the impression the restaurant will be serving breakfast. When you arrive, the tv screen behind the front desk promotes the restaurant with no mention that it won't be open. The elevator has menus on the walls but no mention that this is pointless unless it is Friday or Saturday evening.

The view from the room is actually really nice but as you settle in you discover the silly little annoying things. The regular light in the bathroom is not bright enough to shave by, so you turn the timer on (switch is outside the room), to trigger a heat light. It will probably go off just as you are about to slit your throat!

The kitchenette has one garbage can which states that 'We recycle', but being the only one, you can't separate your garbage.

As someone else mentioned, you might consider using the kitchenette because of the lack of breakfast, but there aren't really enough plates and utensils to have breakfast with more than two people.

I was walking in from the car and noticed the weather forecast on the screen behind the front desk. Oh good, the weather looks promising. But no, on closer inspection, the forecast was for some days about two weeks prior to our arrival! I was told they were waiting for it to be updated!

As I say, silly little things. I don't think the room rate was bad at all. I'd sure like to know which 5* hotel in Vancouver you can get for way less than $119/night.

We would just have been happier to turn up there knowing that the restaurant would not be available. This should be on the website and not , menus and descriptions of what a wonderful atmosphere you will (not) experience!

We'd probably stay again because the location is good and Cowichan Bay is a good spot, but I'd phone ahead next time and find out for sure if we need to bring breakfast!

Room Tip: All rooms have a good view. First floor rooms have patios. The reception desk is on the 4th floor so...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank John P
Burns Lake, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

This was my 2nd stay at the Oceanfront suites in just over a year and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

My first contact was by phone with Maddy and when someone tells you first impressions are everything, listen to them. Her friendliness was exceptional. She answered all of my questions with a smile in her voice.

The room was very clean, well set out and quite comfortable. I used the fitness room, which was clean, well maintained and offered excellent views. Check in and check out went smoothly both times and I had the pleasure of having Maddy at the front desk during both of my visits as well. She was just as wonderful at her job in person!

During my March trip, I was fortunate enough to be there on a Wednesday and took advantage of the complimentary (for guests) 90 minute yoga class in the banquet room. For a first time yoga experience, it was amazing! The young woman who leads the class was welcoming and a great leader/teacher.

The positive Oceanfront Suites experience, will definitely keep me coming back!!!

Anne Currie
Burns Lake, BC

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Island Nikki C
North Bay, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

We stayed at the Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay recently for a wedding in the area. The building was a bit older, but we were warmly welcomed upon our arrival.

Our room was clean and spacious. We had an excellent view of the harbour (if you looked over the roof of the building that partially blocked our view). Our room was the first one in the hallway directly across from the front desk (4th floor). Every time someone walked into the hallway door, it closed very loudly. We could also hear every conversation that was had in the hallway, all day and night long. Not to mention that our room also shared a wall with the elevator. With a fully booked hotel, you can only imagine how many times we listened to the elevator go up and down, and up and down (constantly).

The hotel parkade was in rough shape, had leaking pipes, was dark, and very difficult to maneuvre through. The hotel did not offer any complimentary breakfast. I did see a coffee bar set-up, but when I went to grab a coffee, there was no milk or cream or coffee (all empty!)

We paid $119 as a 'discounted' rate for the wedding group. This was a ridiculously expensive rate, considering there are much smaller, more quaint and comfortable places in the area. On our trip, we stayed in 5* hotels in Vancouver and in hotels in Tofino/Ucluelet with complimentary breakfasts at a much cheaper rate than this! I had also asked about late check-out and was told it would be an extra $20 - I've never had to pay for late check-out before and can't imagine that they would be full again the next night.

We won't return. We wished we would've known the area better and had booked elsewhere. Cowichan Bay itself is quite cute, with small shops and pubs. Worth checking out, but stay somewhere else!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Ramada Duncan Cowichan Valley
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay? Share your experiences!