I travelled to this hotel with my husband and two kids (age 7 &10) after booking a nice package on Living Social. We were on Vancouver Island because my husband was doing the half Ironman race in nearby Shawnigan Lake, and the location worked out well for us. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and check in was easy and efficient. Nice that there was no charge for parking or WIFI. We enjoyed the location on the main strip in Cowichan Bay with some fun shops and restaurants, and nice areas to walk along the water.
We stayed in an end suite (room 414) and the views were fantastic. The kitchenette was really nice but sparsely equipped; we were easily able to get extra cooking implements from the lobby though. The pull out couch worked out well for my two kids, and we appreciated the separate bedroom and comfy king sized bed and separate TV. They don’t have flat screen TVs and the bathrooms could use some upgrading, but that wasn’t an issue for us and thought the rooms were nice and spacious.
We spent a bit of time playing on the rocky beach area directly behind the hotel; the kids had fun exploring the tidepools and looking for seashells. Watch out for the very steep drop off on the way to the beach though… there are no railings (or even warning signs) and the drop is huge. We took advantage of the indoor pool and hot tub (basic but good, nice water temperature) and the spa services (decent quality and prices). We didn’t go to the restaurant in the hotel but another family we were travelling with found the food to be overpriced for basic quality, and thought the nearby restaurants offered better value.
We didn’t spend much time in Shawnigan Lake itself, but if I were to go back I’d look into whale watching and/or kayaking excursions. The town of Duncan is only 10m down the road and there are options there for basic shopping and there’s an old theatre there playing first run movies.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay is idyllically nestled in the Cowichan Valley, between Victoria and Nanaimo, in the seaside village of Cowichan Bay. With its eclectic collection of shops and restaurants and the wharves filled with, sail boats, fishing boats and floating homes it is one of the most picturesque, secret locations on Vancouver Island. The Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay offers 56 spacious suites, all facing the ocean. Each is equipped with a master bedroom, bathroom, and a comfortable living and dining area. Most are equipped with a complete kitchen. Whether you’re looking for an outdoor adventure, romantic getaway, family vacation or a special wedding destination, The Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay can deliver in comfort and style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oceanfront Suites At Cowichan Bay Hotel Cowichan Bay
- Oceanfront Grand Resort Marina
- Oceanfront Grand Hotel Marina
- Oceanfront Suites At Cowichan Bay Vancouver Island