“Peace & Quiet - in comfort!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay

Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowichan Bay
Courtenay, Canada
“Peace & Quiet - in comfort!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed here during a work trip, and found it hard to concentrate on duties, while overlooking the gorgeous Cowichan Bay. The room was roomy, with all the comforts I would hope for. I would have liked a larger menu selection in the restaurant, but found the food adequate and the service spectacular. I would definately stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrea F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Burnaby, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed for second time as part of a BC Ferries vacation package. Wonderful! Loved the spacious, clean and comfortable rooms with gorgeous views of the small harbour and marina; the courteous, friendly and very helpful staff, and the delicious breakfast in the restaurant upstairs.
Weather was perfect and now that sea lions were away for the season, was worried that the humans would enjoy the beach below a bit too much perhaps. But folks seemed to go in around 9 and while we were there it was extremely quiet.
Had a nice dinner at the pub next door and loved walking through the quaint village with my two travel buddies who loved their room and their Cowichan Bay experience as well.
Hot tub was OK- not too hot or too strong; pool was quite nice.
I look forward to coming back again- I always leave this resort after one night feeling as relaxed as if I'd been there lounging for a week.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I stayed there July 3 & 4 2014 after 5 days on the west coast trail. Our room the first night was fine. We had to move to another on the second night, but were told it was identical but had one less window and two double beds instead of one. The words that comes to mind to describe the second room are - very shabby. There was no phone in the bedroom; four circular indents/holes in the wall over the bed; a long rectangle of soiled wall covering above the bed; only one rather than two bedside tables; only one small lamp for the entire room; and no working TV in the bedroom.

We got into the room when it was too late to move to another hotel. We spoke to the manager who gruffly refused to to permit a room change, provide a refund, or reduce the rate. He had no explanation for the complete misrepresentation of the state of the room by the desk manager. The words that come to mind to describe the manager's attitude are - miserable.

The restaurant was a complete contrast - excellent food and excellent service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Leo M
Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

The sales guy i work with recommended the property, generally i stay at chains to get points, however the price was right. The hotel is just a little bit out of Duncan. It was a beautiful drive to get there and there are lots of small amenities around the hotel including a number of restaurants. There was a small confusion regarding check in. They thought i was coming on sunday when my reservation was for monday. Oh well quickly resolved, they did the courtesy of calling to confirm which i did appreciate. Check in was simple and painless. They do not subscribe to any rewards program which would be nice. The hotel is all suites with kitchenettes. The view is spectacular. The bed, oh the bed! It was without a doubt one of the most comfortable beds i have ever slept in, considering i spend easily 150 nights a year in hotel rooms that is saying something. As i primarily travel for business internet is very important to me. The internet was very capable on this property. I had no problem with video teleconference and connecting all of my devices. So a big win for me.

One tiny issue the room does not have air conditioning. If you call the front desk they have fans though.

Overall i am looking forward to staying here on my next visit.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Michael P
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel and it was awful. The worst experience I have ever had at a hotel and I have stayed at many hotels across the world. I stayed there for one night and was charged $177 for the night. For $177.00 for one night I would expect my hotel lights to work properl and to have at least air conditioning at my hotel in the middle of the summer!!! I was shocked when my boyfriend went to the front desk to ask them if there was anything they could do for us because our lights didn't work. There front desk told us to fiddle with the light switches and the cords to make them work. I am sorry but I am not an electrician. Secondly I called to ask if there was anything I could do about the temperature of the room because I was hot so I called the front desk. The front desk told us we should open a window and that there was nothing they could do. So the next day I called to ask to speak to a manager. I was told I would recieve a phone call back. 1 week later I didn't hear anything so i called and spoke to a manager. The manager told me that the front desk should of offered me a fan and that she would pass on the information to her General Manager and that he would get in contact with me. Three days later no word from anyone!!!!

Have you ever heard of customer service skills or maybe learn how to train your staff to not be so rude to their customers. The light fixture should work in the room if you pay $177 a night and if a fan is avaliable it should be at LEAST offered to the client!!

Welcome to the 21st Century people it is called air conditioning!!

DO NOT STAY HERE EVER!

Room Tip: Do Not stay in room 404!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Dugaro
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

stayed with my teenage son for a little R&R. Everything was fantastic (rooms was totally redone and quite nice, only downside was hairdryer -- quite old and needs to be replaced).

I have to get in a pool on a regular basis (car accident) so this was very convenient altho I must say the pool & changing room were a bit musty. Perhaps opening a window would help.

Room Tip: if you can get a room with a view, that alone is worth the price!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Vancouver, B.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at the Oceanfront Suites for one night while visiting friends on the Island. We booked 3 weeks in advance through booking.com and paid $186 for a "one-bedroom suite with ocean view."

Check-in and out were both quick and efficient. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The suite was extremely spacious and met all our needs.

The kitchen would have been convenient, although we were only there one night and didn't use it, other than the fridge. The appliances were somewhat dated and the room certainly would have been on the low half of any scale measuring how modern it looked.

We would lean toward staying here again if we were in the area. The price was a little more than we would have expected to pay, even giving the location, the bay view and the size of the suite. But it wasn't outrageously expensive, and it did include parking and Wi-Fi with no additional charge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ramada Duncan Cowichan Valley
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay? Share your experiences!