“The "Special Occasions" Place in Cowichan Bay Village”

Masthead Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 14 Restaurants in Cowichan Bay
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I had an enjoyable evening at the Masthead.

The food was well presented. I enjoy the neatness and tidiness that comes with a well presented plate, and you get that here. As to quality and flavour, well you get that too.

I very much enjoyed the asparagus soup, which came with a small wafer like slice of bacon, a bit of brie and creme fraiche. A beautiful contrast and compliment of flavour and texture. Creamy, crispy, silky and even fatty, all at different times and each a delight.

My wife enjoyed the crab cakes especially, which were presented accompanied by a very nice sauce.

The main courses were served on piping hot plates. My wife had the duck, I enjoyed chicken, which I found moist, with crispy skin. Both dishes were nicely put together and accompanied by a pot au feu with carrots, peppers, potatoes and so forth. Desert of chocolate ganache followed, with raspberry sauce, mint and tiny little cream puffs.

Service was outstanding. The staff here know how to serve and do it well. Competent and yet unobtrusive is how I would describe it.

The meal was a delight and it capped our special day.

For our pocketbook, the Masthead is expensive. Yet for that, I think it gave good value for the money. Special occasions only then, but worth it.

1  Thank Erik d

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Before we arrived at Cow Bay we were told that local people go here for a special occasion, so we assumed it was good. We weren't disappointed! It's in a lovely position at the end of the village and right down on the dock. Excellent service and imaginative menu choices. I started with perfect scallops; my halibut main was excellent too and the sticky toffee pudding was all I'd expect. I'm sorry we live in Wales otherwise we'd be regulars here.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We just dined at masthead Monday evening. All I can say is "wow" our server was amazing. The Caesar salad she made at table side was spot on as well as her company and conversation during that time, what a lovely young woman. The dinning room impeccably spotless and appealing. The food was perfect, hot, tasty, beautifully presented. The veggies also deserve an honourable mention. You people are doing everything right, this was our first visit, we came all the way from nanaimo. We will be back very soon...

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Had a lovely meal here, which was great value for money. Very delicious, with lovely presentation. Staff were friendly and the restaurant is nicely decorated. A pianist and double bass player added a lovely atmosphere to the restaurant. Highly recommend eating here.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

First impression on walking into the restaurant is the pristine cleanliness of everything. We ate early so were able to enjoy the views of the marinas and boats tied up. Probably one of the best meals we have had in years. Everything was of a high caliber as was the service. Pianist on Saturday nights only unfortunately, but we'll just have to come back for that.
Well down Masthead staff. Definitely a return ticket for us.