“Perfect for our purposes”
Review of Sea Breeze Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hornby Island
Sea Breeze Lodge
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I recently stayed at Sea Breeze Lodge as part of a larger group. When we heard about the Lodge burning down we were a bit apprehensive but I am happy to report the cabins were all fine. The fire cleanup seemed excellent, the staff were responsive to our group being onsite and the construction began at a reasonable time. We all enjoyed the using the enclosed hot tub and firepit. We stayed in a variety of cabins with different configurations suitable to 1-4 people sleeping in them. The floor beside the shower in Cabin 7 is a bit "soft" and I wish they had bathmats. We managed with the cooking utensils provided but if I was cooking I would have found them quite limited. As I know the Lodge is like an all-inclusive in the summer, I am sure most families would find them adequate. We had lovely weather and enjoyed potluck meals using the decks of several cabins. We really appreciated the arrangement as we all sat around the edge seats or on the chairs provided. We will definitely be returning as the set-up was perfect for our group. It was really lovely to sit on our deck and watch eagles soaring and hummingbirds enjoying the Red Hot Pokers and the sunsets were amazing!!!

Room Tip: Cabin 6 and 7 share a deck that easily accommodated our group of 20 people.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mary H

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Any of you, having read my other reviews will notice we tend to explore in the "shoulder season". We dont tend to book ahead, and kind of just let the journey lead us to spots we find along the way. The path on Hornby, lead us to the the Sea Breeze lodge.

We were greeted warmly, our host was accomadating, showing us a cottage he knew we would enjoy. The staff is super friendly and knowledgeable on island attractions. The cottage was clean and cozy with a great ocean view and plenty of wildlife. An explostion of life was attracted by the recent herring run. Huge golden and bald eagles pearched on a tree not 30 feet from our deck each morning.

Great place, with great staff and probably the best place to stay on hornby both for its value and its appeal to wide cross section of visitors. I recommend it.

While on Hornby... its known for fossils. Theres really cool geology here, the rock formations are unlike anything else ive seen on our coastal expeditions. It seems to have it all rock wise. You rock hounds better check it out, youll have a sore neck from staring at the ground all day. A hike around the shoreline is a must. We headed south from sea breeze and walked all the way to fossil beach, low tide is your friend.

Dont leave without hiking Halliwell, I was impressed to say the least. Hornbys coast is for the most part rugged, rocky and completely fascinating. Theres a couple of amazing sand beaches, tucked into bays, which offer a beautiful contrast to an ancient shoreline.

For my fellow architecture fans, you can spend a couple days just checking out amazing cottages. From multi million dollar west coast modern to shack in the bush, its all there. Seems the island may be cottage country for the independently wealthy, however the charm and appeal that drew its early inhabitants can still be found alive and well in its people and secret places.

Of all the places i have explored along BC's coast, Hornby island is a place I wish I could have visited 50 years ago, yet the island still holds a feeling that is timeless.

Room Tip: If you desire a bit of privacy, try to book a cottage on either end of the resort and pick your date...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jason w
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Sea Breeze staff were friendly and helpful.
This was the perfect place for a quiet weekend getaway.

The View from cabin 6 was beautiful.

We really appreciated that lots of wood was provided for the fireplace. It was heavenly to enjoy a glass of wine and home cooked meal next to it's warmth.

Love that the kitchenette had a full stove.

The cabin was very clean and the bed was incredibly comfortable.

We did take a dip in the hot tub, but it was a bit too hot for comfort compared to what we were accustomed to. The facility was lovely for the time we did spend in it.

Wifi signal was not the great, but who needs the internet when you have that amazing view! But we recommend bringing games or movies and a laptop if quiet relaxing does not quite cut it for you.

We will definitely be back!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I can't say enough good things about my son's wedding at the Seabreeze Lodge on Hornby Island, BC. Everyone who attended stayed in the cabins. The Rehearsal Dinner was enjoyed by all—plenty to eat—and the same for the Wedding Supper, yummy, tasty, fresh organic food. It was a May weekend, and we even got 80 degree temperatures.

Our friends and family talked about how great the wedding was for weeks afterwards. Thanks Jeff and your team for a spectacular event.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank beehoo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We were a small group with three cabins rented for our week's stay. From Medicine Hat, AB, Vancouver, BC and Victoria, BC. It was such a welcome departure from the regular hustle-bustle of daily life. From the relaxed check-in (no keys? OK...), to the wonderful atmosphere provided by the owners and staff - all first class. The grounds and beach speak for themselves. GORGEOUS! We have been to Hornby many times over the decades, but have never had the pleasure of having our own private beach to explore and visit. Located very close to both Whaling Station Bay and Tribune Bay. The HUGE grounds with the grassy lawns and playground were perfect for our children - bike riding all day! We can't say enough about Jeff & Steve, owners who are very proud of their property, but also willing to invite us into their annual staff party! It is often said that, good or bad, "it all starts at the top". It is evident that Jeff & Steve's relaxed demeanor trickles down to their staff, as all were eager to assist in anyway possible. We will be back!!

Room Tip: We stayed in cabin #12 - excellent location. Beautiful view, tucked away in one corner of the prope...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank basil7575
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I have thought long and hard before making this review. We had mice in our cabin. Running, digging, scratching and keeping us awake almost all night. We love Hornby it is a beautiful island but I could have camped enjoyed the same beauty but not slept with mice. When I spoke with the owner the response was defensive. Your in the country, thank you for your thoughts,we all work hard, the only way would be to remove all mice from the island. I live in the country (not with mice), they were not thoughts they were facts I saw the mice (we had no food in our room), I had expressed how hard my husband had been working and looking forward to this weekend (his response is that everyone works hard), again defensive saying the only way to ensure we had no mice in our room would be to remove them all from the island. The cabin itself had not been cleaned vey well. Dirty tissues under the bed, pens, papers and dirt. Around the fridge, in between it and the microwave dirt. Yes the view is beautiful and the food satisfactory but not worth $300 a night. The owner made an offer of a night in a cottage during the winter. Well we stayed during the summer, we stayed for two nights and during the winter there is no food provided. So very disappointing was our stay but worse was the owners response. I am a travel consultant and can not recommend these cottages.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 007Laurie007
Suzie B, Owner at Sea Breeze Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

So sorry to read of this just now:( We do appreciate all feedback that we get as it helps us to grow, learn and work at providing all of our guests with a positive and happy experience. Please note all other 2013 reviews have been favorable and hope to attribute it to us trying hard to make our family lodge the best that it can be.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were meant to stay at a friend's cabin that turned out to be too 'rustic' for our wants so we ended up driving around Hornby Island looking for other accommodation. We stumbled across Sea Breeze. The owner kindly listened to our story and happened to have an annex available. We LOVED the cute little annex. Even though the ground level deck was set back a bit from the house it was attached to, the view was stunning. We were lucky to get great quiet neighbors as if they were noisy at all or into late night parties, it would have ruined our experience as we are attached. Our 5 year old loved the closeness of the beach for fires, walking, and exploring. The playground is safe and fun. The grassy area is such a nice addition to play on as well.
The owners and staff were kind and helpful.
The atmosphere here is very laid back. Some people would want constant attention ie. towel service regularly, finding someone to help with a problem when needed, regular room cleaning, but we loved the solitude and just being left alone to enjoy ourselves.
We did not use the food service and are not interested at all in buffets 3x a day. I would feel like I went on vacation to eat. We want more freedom than that as having to show up for meals (and I would feel obliged because I paid for it) would ruin our daily excursions of biking and exploring.
I wish there was an option to just have the dinners but they like you to pay for the all inclusive during the high season. They gave us a break because of our situation.
The surroundings made it one of the best vacations I have ever had. We will be back. (if I don't have to eat 3 buffets daily)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Union Bay
Qualicum Beach Inn
Qualicum Beach Inn
#1 of 10 in Qualicum Beach

Been to Sea Breeze Lodge? Share your experiences!