“Nice and homey, and I would stay here again”
Review of Hubs Motel

Hubs Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wells
Seattle
“Nice and homey, and I would stay here again”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

What a friendly place to stay. I chose it because of other reviews on Trip Advisor, and I'm glad I did. I'm assuming most folks staying here, like me, do so because it's near the gold rush town of Barkerville, just five miles away at the end of BC Highway 26. This is another family-run motel that was built many years ago, but it has been very well maintained

I was there before 11 a.m. and stopped to complete the check-in process before heading into Barkerville, even though I wasn't expecting my room to be ready. However, it was ready, and I was able to put my bag inside. The room was clean, cozy and comfortable, with a decent-sized bathroom. Diane made me feel at home right away. The small office has a large supply of books and videos free for the borrowing, and a big plate of homemade cookies.

There's not much to Wells -- it's essentially a place to stay for those visiting Barkerville, where I very happily spent nine hours of the course of two days exploring every nook and cranny. The Hubs is definitely a good choice, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

One FYI: I was not able to get cell phone reception in Wells, but that's apparently the norm. I like to check in with my 79-year-old mom every couple of days while I'm on the road to make sure everything is good with her. Diane told me it was only 35 cents a minute for long-distance calls (mine was to Seattle). So I did make a quick call (and I would have made that call no matter what the price was). When I went to check out the next morning, I asked how much the call was so I could pay her for it. She said, 'Oh, I looked, and it was only 60 cents. Don't worry about it -- enjoy the rest of your trip.'

For me, that's the kind of thing that wins my loyalty -- and kudos on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank muskrat88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Great value, nice rooms, delicious homemade cookies, excellent DVD selection, good location for heading to Bowron Circuit or Barkerville. Make sure to try Big H's Halibut and chips, located in the parking lot!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Salmon Arm
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Well, the Hubs Motel was pretty good, especially when you consider price and location! It's reasonable, and there really isn't a lot to choose from around there, so you are pretty limited. The cookies were very good, and nice touch upon arrival, and our room was ready early which was a great thing since we took less time driving there than we planned on!

A few things to ask about (and know about) though....1) if you are there when it is hot, try and ask for one of the rooms facing the road, the one we were in got REALLY hot in the afternoon and there is NO air conditioning - luckily we brought a fan so it was a little better (not great though) 2) the room we had had no screen on the window, so we couldn't open it to get a breeze, although we noticed that most of the other rooms had their door open during the day so we thought we'd try that, it was ok. 3) the bugs. I noticed quite a few no see ums (biting midges) in the room I didn't think much of it, we squished them and that was that. But after trying to get a little bit of cool air in there by having the door open it seemes like they multiplied by the thousands, and they bit. We went out and put on bug spray just so we could get some sleep :( 4) the fish and chips isn't open on Wednesdays, so we didn't get to eat there, and there isn't much to choose from in Wells, and only one way overpriced "grocery" store (2L of milk for $4.50!) so there is nothing to buy and eat either. 5) not a big deal, but there are only 2 stations that come in on the tv, there are DVD players in the rooms and some DVDs to borrow though, not a huge selection so you might want to bring some from home!

I'd stay there again, if we were going through, but I would make sure which way my room was facing, that there was a screen in the window, that I brought a fan, and I brought food with me from Quesnel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road get much less sun than the others, and since there is no A/C, this would be he...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JenwaC
, Owner at Hubs Motel, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Info is always there for the asking!
Thank you so much for your review, it has given me the incentive to learn how to reply to reviews.

First of all, I would like to thank you for the positive note on the cookies. I am so sorry that your experience in our town wasn't positive and knowing that you were unhappy is why I didn't charge for leaving prior to your booking period.

To respond to your concerns:
1) You have a valid point of the afternoon sun hitting the unit you were in - the heat wave we had while you were here is very uncommon for our area and air-conditioning is very rarely necessary - definitely not to the point of installing them. I do however have fans that I provide our guests upon request. 2) I am very thankful that you informed us of the missing screen in your window - upon you checking out I inspected the window and someone had indeed ripped out the screen. We have since ordered more screening and should have it next week. 3) This is the worst year our locals have seen for no see ums. As I mentioned to you the morning you were checking out - we had spent an hour the night before we went to bed vacuuming them from our home and office, which we have never had a problem with before. The no see ums even manage to get through the screens. As I had also mentioned to you, if you had called me, I would have fixed the situation immediately but you informed me you didn't want to bother me at that time of night. I would prefer my guests to let me know their concerns right away so that I can make things right for them and ensure they have a great stay. One thing we are especially known for is going above and beyond to make sure our guests are happy and their needs are met. 4) Harald runs Big H's Halibut & Chips on his own with a little help from Danielle and I. He has stayed consistent every year with his hours - open Thursday to Tuesday 12:00 noon to 8:00 pm and closed Wednesdays in order that he can get stocked up on supplies. I am so sorry you missed out on his fish & chips as well as the other fantastic eateries in our area. There were several places to choose from while you were here. 5) I agree that we have a limited selection on TV. There is no cable into Wells and to have a separate satelite machine for every room would cost in excess of $20,000.00. We do have a chose of 3 channels that I can change up, upon request from our guests - for instance if they want the hockey playoffs etc. We have put in new flat screen TV's and DVD players into all the rooms and have in excess of 300 DVD's in our continually growing and up to date DVD collection which we provide to our guests free of charge.
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Highly recommend staying here , clean rooms, good rates and awesome service!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
, Owner at Hubs Motel, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you so much for your review.. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you another time.
Westlock, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2012

These are the BEST hosts you can find anywhere. They go above and beyond to make your stay the best. You may not find the fanciest room but you will find clean comfortable rooms. They accomodate everyway and anyway they can. The cookies are the best!! Great way to start and end your Bowron Paddling Experience!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
, Owner at Hubs Motel, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and the cookies and look forward to seeing you all again!
Ryley, AB Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Wow now this is a real home away from home. Very nice hosts Diane and Harold, and love the cookies and a must to have the halibut from Harolds Fish and Chips. Very recommended and worth the stay. Nice clean rooms and very affordable. A+ in our books. Will certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: King size bed has a fireplace and was awesome to come home and just turn that on for a bit and took...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at Hubs Motel, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Wow - thank you for such nice compliments. The positive reviews really make our day! We hope to see you again!
Williams Lake, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2012

A group of us have taken to staying in Wells every winter, Dianne & Harold the owners are so welcoming and accomodating, we look forward to seeming them every year. The beds are so incredibly comfortable and some rooms even have a fireplace, a nice cozy addition in the winter after a stroll through the town. The sledding is spectacular and you can ride from the motel, Harold and other members of the local sledding club have been wonderful guides. The Bears Paw Cafe is right accross the street and we've yet to have anything but great meals, they even pack us a lunch to go, doesn't get much better than that. Walking through a snow covered Barkerville is like a step back in time, such a beautiful and unique area.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a fireplace which is lovely in snowy winter evenings.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
, Owner at Hubs Motel, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Sorry it took so long to respond to your review - I have just figured out how to do it. Thank you so much for such a great review. I totally agree with how spectacular sledding is in our area as well as all the other winter activities - I love our winter wonderland. We look forward to seeing you again when the snow flies.