“Close to Barkerville, a lot of little extras that made it great.”
Review of Hubs Motel

Hubs Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wells
Abbotsford, Canada
“Close to Barkerville, a lot of little extras that made it great.”
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here with our 2 kids aged 6&7. We stayed in one of the suites with a kitchen. The place was clean and comfy. There are a few dated things in the room, like slight staining in the tub, older counter tops and cupboards but it was very clean. There were a lot of little touches that made this an extra special place to stay. There is no cell service but there is wifi! There are only 3 tv channels but there are hundreds of DVD'a to choose from. There are always cookies (I think I ate 4 in our 2 nights we were there). There is a ping pong table set up and 2 other games you can play. The service was great. Don't forget to try the fish and chip place on the property, sooooo good :) We would defiantly recommend this place to friends.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Lisanee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Salmon Arm, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We have stayed at the Hubs Motel each summer for several years while attending the Artswells Festival. Dianne is a great ambassador and her cookies are such a nice touch. The fish and chips were really good. Really good. The accommodations are comfortable and spotlessly clean. The location is good. I really can't say anything negative about it. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank peggy56
Wiliams Lake, BC
Reviewed 7 August 2013

No hot tub, but the on-site fish and chips, run by Big H., are superb. More fish than batter; crisp and tasty. Dianne goes out of her way to make her guest comfortable, even found a cane for my husband to borrow when his went missing. I've stayed in Wells every summer for a decade, and wouldn't stay anywhere but The Hubs. Not fancy, but the hospitality (cookies every day; videos to borrow for free) and friendly atmosphere can't be beat by any five star hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms have full kitchens, great if you are traveling with a family and need to cook. There aren...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Our family was planning a trip to Barkerville and stayed at the Hubs Motel. We were immediately greeted and offered a homemade cookie and told that we could use any of the DVD's we wanted for the night. We found the rooms to be clean and very comfortable. Don't be turned off by the physical appearance, it is well aged, but also well taken care of. There is a large screen TV, DVD player for the free movies and, as we were in a kitchen unit, there was stove and fridge that appeared to be new. Best of all, the owners are attentive and will make your stay remarkable. My only regret is that we didn't stay longer...

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed at the Hubbs for 8 days in July 2013. It was a great experience. From the sinker tub to Dianne's cookies. The warm friendly atmosphere and reasonable prices will keep you coming back. Nestled in beautiful Wells, BC this IS the place to stay when you visit.

Room Tip: Ask to have the external lights turned off if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Hope, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We decided to do an impromptu trip to Barkerville and while I knew that it probably was going to be fairly difficult in finding accommodations, primarily due to the popularity of the historic site, it was also Billy Barker Days in Quesnel. After reading the reviews on here for the Hubs Motel, I zipped off an email and received a prompt response from Dianne. While she didn't have anything at that time, she had someone that was possibly leaving early and if I was interested, she'd let me know. I had resigned myself to thinking that would be the last to hear from her. By that evening, I had another email saying that in fact the other folks had cancelled and all 3 of my requested nights were available. I replied to let her know that I'd have my answer by morning, only to find another email the next day sharing that she could offer us a unit with a kitchenette; we grabbed it up!

After a long drive we arrived in Wells; easily found the Hubs Motel and were quickly checked in by Dianne who was super friendly offering fresh baked cookies :) While the room was basic it was very clean, updated and well equipped. As for the most important, the bed, I slept like a baby! This being highly odd for me!

We spent 2 full days at Barkerville, seeing and experiencing everything it had to offer but were very grateful to come "home" to our room, ready to flake out and relax.

The Hubs Motel is a great choice.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Noelle H
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

My family of 5 went to see Barkerville and stayed in nearby Wells, BC at the Hubs Motel. This may be a basic motel but it was one of the best stays in a hotel/motel we've had. Check in was very quick and easy and owner, Dianne, always has a smile on her face and fresh baked cookies! What other motel provides fresh baked cookies? None that I've seen. The room was definitely big enough for all five of us (including a playpen) and spotlessly clean. Dianne has dishes and utensils you can borrow if needed and even a crockpot if you feel like cooking. One of the days was quite cold and rainy (yes even in July), around 6 degrees Celsius. We asked if there was a place open where we could buy some hot chocolate. Dianne went into her own kitchen and handed us a big, unopened jar of hot chocolate and said to bring it back later that night or the next day. It's personal touches like this that makes this motel stand above the rest. Also, if you like fish and chips, you must try the fish and chips from the trailer on site. Harold, Dianne's husband and motel co owner ( who is just as friendly and nice as Dianne), makes excellent fish and chips. If you are going to visit Barkerville and don't want to stay on site or are exploring the beautiful area around Wells/Barkerville, I strongly recommend staying at the Hubs Motel. When we have the opportunity to go back we will definitely be staying at the Hubs Motel without question.

• Stayed July 2013