“Great Place To Stay For Bowron Trips”

Becker's Lodge Bowron Lake Adventures Resort
Portland, Oregon
“Great Place To Stay For Bowron Trips”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I just finished my second trip to the Bowrons and my second stay at Becker's Lodge, the first being a decade ago.

The lodge provides clean, comfortable cabins with a fantastic setting on a bluff overlooking Bowron Lake. Lothar, the owner, is very helpful and his organizational skills make sure everything runs smoothly. He has a great sense of humor and a ton of knowledge about the area.

The Trapper Cabins are very clean and cozy and a great inexpensive place to stay. The cabins with the private bathrooms, such as the Frank Kibbee Cabin which we recently reserved, are fairly spacious and also a good deal for groups.

If you are renting equipment from them for the circuit, they have excellent high-quality gear and the knowledge to help make sure you have a good trip. They also will store your valuables for free and provide long-term parking when doing the circuit for $20. The electricity is turned-off from 10pm to 6am since they are "off the grid" and use generators, but unlike an earlier review, my 5:40am shower was quite warm.

I highly recommend Becker's if you are doing the circuit. Their knowledge, equipment and organization is great and has been honed in over two decades running the lodge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cowichan Bay, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This was my forth trip to the Bowron Lakes. Once again the trip was great. The only big regret I have is that I gave a penny of my money to Becker,s Lodge. The owner is not a nice person. He treated myself and my daughter extremely rudely. I would pay more drive way out of my way to avoid this place. Rent your gear elsewhere. I wish I read the negative reviews before giving this man my credit card.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Mryupp

Travellers are raving about these Wells hotels

Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Due to a cancellation of one of the couples in our party, my family and I ended up making this trip by ourselves. We ended up needing to rent equipment for the canoe circuit and phoned ahead of time to add those bits on to our cabin reservation. The lodge itself is quite remote. Reservations are handled in a town an hour and 15 minutes away (Quesnel). There is information all over the receipt and website about the lodge not being able to take credit or debit cards. It's cash only if you're at the lodge, but if you're planning ahead, phone or email them and they'll be happy to help you with your payment.

The key is DEFINITELY to plan ahead! Because it's remote, the electricity is operated by generators. Lights (and power) out at 10, on again at 6. Plan accordingly, take your headlamp, go to bed before 10, and wake up before 6. Charge any technological devices while you have power. The office opens at 8 and closes at 6. If you have business to take care of with the owner regarding cabin rental, equipment rental, etc, plan to do it between those times.

We were concerned we might not arrive until after office hours (6pm), so we phoned the reservation line and were told that the keys would be left in our door if we arrived after the office closed.

It's $20 to leave your car at the lodge while you're doing the circuit. Plan to bring that with you in cash. We stayed 2 nights before our launch day and really had a wonderful time at the cabin before our canoe trip. Were totally surprised that our cabin had a kitchenette (no oven) and a full-sized BBQ. We would have brought real food for good meals as opposed to our gross leftovers from home that survived the 2-day road trip there in our cooler.

We couldn't connect with the owner on the morning of our launch day (so many people waiting to be helped by him!). We weren't sure how the shuttle worked to get us to the centre, so we ended up driving ourselves to the registration centre to sit through our half hour orientation and then came back to Becker's (it's a 6 minute drive - tops). We parked in long-term parking, checked in with the owner and he took us back to the centre where our canoe was waiting for us.

The owner was great. Joke with him and be sincere. He's really nice and he's been there for a long time. The place is very well maintained and the whole place is so much better cared for than the surrounding lodging options. We'll definitely stay at Becker's again should we return to that neck of the woods for another canoe adventure or trip to Barkerville, and we'd definitely recommend it to others. Remember though, PLAN AHEAD. Know what to expect before you get there (power shutoffs, cash only, etc) and you'll have a great visit. Hopefully you'll have beautiful views and good weather. :o)

By the way, we stayed in the Ole Nelson cabin. Sleep downstairs in the tiny bedroom if you want an amazing sleep. Let the children who are made of cartilage sleep upstairs in the loft. ;o)

Oh, and if you need groceries, get them in Quesnel BEFORE you head to the lodge. It's an hour and fifteen minutes from the lodge if you forget something!

Room Tip: Be sure you read the cabin descriptions before choosing one!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We camped at Beckers for one night before our recent canoe trip. Members of our group rented a canoe plus a couple of extra carts. The canoe was a new Clipper Yukon. The carts were basic but worked well on the portages.

My biggest complaint would be the terribly rude service we received. Right from our first greeting the Manager/Owner seemed to take exception with everything I said. For every comment or question I made he offered a snide or rude comeback. I tried my best to be pleasant and said please and thank you but it didn't help. While we were waiting in his office he called a staff member and berated her over the telephone. I would have walked out if I had known that there were other places to rent gear for our trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hydehaven
Reviewed 20 August 2013

A wonderful and quiet place with a great view. Lothar helped us a lot in preparing for the Bowron trip and gave useful tips for exploring Canada afterwards. If you have the guts to interact with Lothar he is a real treasure. We got along great and had a fabulous time.

6 Thank Wolfamadee
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2013

hello all. I just got back yesterday from doing the bowron canoe ciruit. let me tell you, one of the most beautiful trips I have ever been on. the water and the scenery was breath taking.

unfortunetly, a lot of this is greyed by the owner of the lodge. This individual named 'Lothar' could not have treated us more poorley. Upon our first encounter we told him we were from Vancouver. he then told us he referred to Vancouver as "fake-couver" or "hong-couver", which he then explained was due to the fact that all people from this city are either fake, or of Asian decent.

he gave zero instruction on how to canoe, how to treat a canoe, how to clean a canoe, and upon our return, yelled at me and told me how disrespectful I was for not leaving the vessel up to his standards, even though I thought I did a very good job of cleaning and caring for it. I offered to clean it again, and he told me to "get the hell out of here" and peeled away in his truck.

In conclusion, I urge you to paddle this canoe circuit, it is a trip of a life time, but never ever again would I spend one penny at beckers lodge, or send anyone body else there

hope this was helpful!

3 Thank outdoors2013
Montana
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed one night before the circuit. I asked that the generator electricity be left on so I could leave with my cpap battery full charge. Mr. Becker said no, the first night of my battery would be now. There was no toilet paper or soap in the ladies toilet. You must pay extra to take a shower and if you want one at 6 am it is lukewarm at best because the electricity has been off night and then it runs only a trickle. You pay extra for him to park your car for a week, extra to have him store your wallet for a week. I would rather pay $90 and get toilet paper! It is expensive for a cabin with few amenities.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends