“What a magical place looks and feels like..”

Brentwood Lighthouse
Canberra, Australia
“What a magical place looks and feels like..”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Nancy and Alan are a most glorious hosts, friendly and very accommodating.
We arrived straight after the Rocky Mountaineer experience and thought that nothing would surpass that adventure tour. We were wrong. The Brentwood B&B is a most delightful place to spend time at after an adventure train trip. Quite and relaxing with views to unscramble the brain of the hectic traveling tourists.
Pleasant walks, delightful semi private restaurant, Buchart Gardens and Butterfly Farm are all within easy walks of the Brentwood B&B.
Accommodation is most comfortable, and breakfast is a pure delight of mixed gourmet cups of coffee, food fare and great conversation to go with it.
Would we stay there again? Absolutely.

Room Tip: Either rooms are delightful. But ask for the room that looks over the small harbour.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zzangl

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Hebrew first
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed with Nancy and Alan for five nights this past August, and couldn't have been happier with this choice. There are only two rooms for guests, both with their own separate access doors on a walkway right off of the driveway. Each room has an extremely comfortable king bed, flat screen TV, mini fridge and coffee maker, and an electric (or maybe it was gas?) fireplace, plus a full ensuite bathroom with tub and shower. So on these amenities, the room rated right up there with a very upscale motel/hotel room. Upstairs from the two guest rooms was the kitchen, breakfast area, and sitting room, all available to the guests. The house is absolutely beautiful. Large picture windows give a lovely view of Brentwood Bay, and there is an outside patio through sliding glass doors. Outside the house, and around a pathway to the back, is another area that guests are welcome to use, with a very private area to sit beside the fish pond with waterfall. I spent a couple of hours one day reading in this little oasis, and Nancy came out to offer me something to drink. OK, on to Nancy and Alan. We felt we really were on a first name basis after our five days here, and really you could not wish for nicer, friendlier, more welcoming hosts. And I must disagree with a previous reviewer who said breakfast were not exceptional. We may have put Nancy to the test, but every morning she had made something different and delicious. We had opted for the light breakfast option, and it was more than enough for us! We had grown up in the area, so didn't need any help with local attractions, but Nancy and Alan were still making helpful suggestions. And if there are any fishermen/women thinking of a fishing trip, Alan is an expert and would know how to arrange whatever you wanted for a fishing trip. As for refreshing the room, Nancy asked us several times if we needed anything, or wanted her to changed the bedding, etc. I really cannot understand where the previous reviewer was coming from, but I couldn't disagree more strongly him.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rob_Anne
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Nice location close to Butchart gardens. Plus points: the room was nice with a direct access, good sea views, the bed was very, very comfortable, a bathroom which had a decent size bath. Breakfasts were good but not exceptional although the hosts were very friendly and helpful. However, we had to ask for the bins to be emptied, the coffee machine to be re supplied and some milk, all of which we thought should have been done without asking. Lovely bath but no bubble bath, so we had to go out and buy our own. There was nowhere to sit except the bedroom which sort of defeated the object of staying in a B&B - we could have stayed in a decent hotel for less money and better facilities. Alan was shown to be really helpful though in that he regularly runs guests back and forth to various things, which is very good and above and beyond.........

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Absolutely LOVED this delightful B&B and the wonderful owners and hosts, Nancy and Alan! We had a perfectly wonderful stay and feel that we have made two new friends in the process! The Brentwood Lighthouse is lovely on all levels - beautiful property with fabulous view of Brentwood Bay, the rooms are pristine and beautifully appointed and the bathrooms offer superb soaker tub/shower! The real gems of this diamond property are the hosts, Nancy and Alan. Very kind, pleasant and enjoyable folks who truly care about making your stay memorable! We are looking forward to coming back again... and soon!!

Room Tip: Both rooms are the same and offer lovely views of the bay. A tad more privacy in the north side roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Bartlesville, OK
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Due to unfortunate air delays, instead of arriving around 4:30 pm on Wednesday, we arrived at 1:00 am the next morning. I called Nancy and Alan, as soon as I knew our plans were changing, to let them know of our misadventures and they took it in stride. We rented a car at the airport and had no trouble finding the B & B with the GPS. We awoke the next morning (or rather later that morning) to find a beautiful view of Brentwood Bay out our window. Nancy and Alan are wonderful hosts and are very knowledgeable about the area. The rooms (we stayed in both rooms, one when we arrived and the other when we came back from the west coast of Vancouver Island) were very clean and comfortable. They did have coffee and tea fixings in the rooms but we didn't use them. There is also a small fridge if you need it. Each room has it's own outside door as well as an inside door leading upstairs to the main part of the house where you will eat breakfast. Be sure to spend a little time just relaxing on their secluded back patio with the koi pond. The breakfasts were absolutely wonderful, something different everyday and always delicious. We spent time each morning talking with Nancy and Alan while we ate breakfast. They are delightful hosts and always gave us good advice regarding where to visit and where to eat. They even made restaurant reservations for us. Butchart Gardens is very close and absolutely worth a visit. Be sure to go back at night to see the Gardens lit and ask Nancy and Alan about the summertime evening entertainment at the Gardens. There is also a Butterfly Gardens nearby with resident tortoises, parrots, turtles, canaries, and flamingoes, which you might miss if all you look for are the butterflies. Victoria was only about 25 minutes away and we spent a day at the Inner Harbor and also rented bikes and rode along the Galloping Goose trail. We would absolutely stay here again and have no trouble recommending this delightful B&B.

Room Tip: Only two rooms, but both are exceptional. Area is quiet and beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2013

A pleasant meet and greet by Nancy and Alan set us up for a great stay. Their friendly and professional manner; Nancy's special blueberry pancakes and real maple syrup will be long remembered. We spent two glorious days and with Alan's helpful directions we visited the Butchart Gardens twice. Re-entry the next day cost us just $3.50 well worth it from the B&B. Will definitely stay there again. They even kindly took us back to Victoria to connect with our ferry.

Thank you Nancy and Alan for a great stay.

Hilary and Peter

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hilary E
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This was my first B&B experience and I traveled alone. After the hosts picked me up from the airport we traveled through winding roads to their beautiful seaside home. I was amazed at the quality and beauty of this B&B which was only surpassed by the charming and supportive hosts, Nancy and Alan. My room was modern, clean and comfortable and the bed was especially luxurious. I enjoyed the deep soaker bath and the quiet comfort. As to the breakfasts, Nancy made kind efforts to meet my unique dietary needs where possible and the meals where delicious. I felt so welcome and so taken care of. I enjoyed the sitting area in the backyard where small birds visited to bathe and scenery transported me away from my thoughts. For 6 days, I walked to the Butchart Gardens- I am a garden lover, to drink in the healing of such floral splendor.  I also walked to the Brentwood bay area to have the freshest mussels that I have ever eaten in my life! I am totally ruined now to go to any other B&B I am sure, and I will return  again and again to Brentwood Lighthouse as this was the most restful holiday of my life.  Thank you to both of you!   Bobbi- Edmonton, Alberta.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Luella room but both are lovely.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
#3 of 52 in Victoria
Magnolia Hotel And Spa
#2 of 52 in Victoria

Been to Brentwood Lighthouse? Share your experiences!