“Country Surprise”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Located just north of Brentwood Bay town centre this quaint little spot really makes an effort and gives great value for money. The atmosphere is outdoor country Vancouver Island with vines growing here and there and a general helter skelter exterior with decks around the old farmhouse like bungalow building. The kitchen turns out product with an eye to local ingredients and the menu causes great delay in the evening because of numerous options. The evening soup was blue cheese cauliflower ...a daring offering that would appeal to some but not at our table. Our appetizers were salads and a gnoochi with light dressings which lead us to the scallop pappardelle which was excellent. One of the party had the cioppino which was deemed very good. The service is crisp and friendly with a knowledgable wait staff. One of the best spots on the peninsula north of Victoria.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Zanzibar

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Friends of ours took us to this restaurant as they live in the area.. We were very pleasantly surprised .. I had a 6 oz filet for 24 dollars.. this is a deal.. and it was cooked perfectly. I also had the warm pear , pecan and beet salad.. very tasty . My friends had the butter chicken and enjoyed it very much.. and my mate had the seafood chowder and it too was excellant. Service was good..and we enjoyed the casual atmosphere. Try the papadums.. they were the best I have ever had!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I have to rave about the food at the place! I am in the industry and so feel like I am the perfect judge for a restaurant like this. I completely understand what it takes to run a fine dining establishment and only judge places on claims that they make. Zanzibar meet or exceeded every claim that they make. Accommodations and ambiance were cozy, a bit funky-shabby chic and totally one of a kind, just the sort of place that I like best.
The menu was unique and filled with plenty of wonderful choices. I was there with a party of 10 and we never once felt that we were unattended or ignored, in fact the opposite was the case, we wanted for nothing. We were brought delicious bread with a zesty olive tapenade as a beginner. Lovely change from just bread and butter. Our entire party was 100% satisfied with everything. I started with a soup special, the red bell pepper soup which was a large portion in a wide-rimmed bowl. I was pleasantly surprised by an array of 4, perfectly cooked mussels, scallops and a few baby clams served in the soup. Didn't understand that when I ordered but who's going to complain about that??? I had the Pan fried scallop pappardelle with homemade red pepper pasta, bacon, nori, arugula and a sublime, ginger liqueur cream - amazing. I only wish that I had stopped in earlier in the week so that I could have enjoyed eating there more than the one time.
If you are anywhere on the island I would recommend taking the time and effort to dine at Zanzibar.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This charming gourmet restaurant was recommended by locals and it was fabulous! The food was fabulous, and I am quite particular about my dining. The service was wonderful. All in all, I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Restaurant is located at the northern end of the Village of Brentwood Bay, in a very rustic, rambling building. Even midweek this place was hopping, but we were quickly seated. They do have all day breakfast that we both chose, but a quick glance at the full menu revealed a good choice at reasonable prices. The food was excellent, as was the service.