“VERY GOOD FOOD, VARIABLE SERVICE”

Prairie Inn Neighbourhood Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We've dined at the P.I. many times over the past six years and have never had a bad meal there. Servings are large and are for the most part, well prepared. On Fridays and Saturdays the place can be extremely busy and on occasions, service suffers a bit but on weekdays we've found the service acceptable at worst and very good more times than not. The place has a very steady clientele - we might include ourselves - which is indicative of good food, good service and above all, reasonable prices. It is, remember, a pub and not "five star" dining. We'll be back again as will many others. Our recommendation is that it is best to avoid Fridays and Saturdays as it is literally SRO and service can suffer a bit but it is always fair value for money and they keep their taps in top condition and pour a good pint!

Reviewed 25 October 2013

This was my first visit, and quite frankly, I see no reason to repeat the experience. I was having dinner with a friend, and since she lives nearby, we decided just to walk to the pub for a quick dinner. I think our first mistake was visiting this restaurant on wing night - our 2nd mistake was choosing to suffer through it!

I don't like wings, so I ordered a halibut burger off the menu. While edible, it was a little mushy & overly moist. I prefer it to be crisp. My friend ordered wings, and while she found them a little dry (something I would have preferred in my burger!), she managed to get through them.

I realize wing night in EVERY pub is crazy-busy, but since I doubt this was their "first rodeo", so to speak, I would have assumed they would have had enough staff to accommodate the rush. They didn't. We waited. And waited. In order to get a glass of water, I almost had to dance on the table! That being said, the staff were friendly & certainly receptive to our requests. Eventually..... They just seemed to be run off their feet, which wouldn't have been the case if staffing had been appropriate.

I don't see myself in a hurry to return!

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have been going to the Prairie Inn since it used to be a corner store (my grandparents lived up the road). We now go about every two months as it is out of the way for us, but normally love the food. This last time was awful. I ordered a salad with grilled chicken, not deep fried. Our server neglected to put my order in at the same time as my hubby's so his ended up sitting under the heat lights while they put together mine. Food arrived, my chicken was deep fried. I had to send it back as I cannot eat the deep fried foods. It came back a few minutes later with microwaved chicken on the salad. Needless to say, it was gross. The only thing our server said was "Oh good, I got a free lunch today". Don't think we will be back for a while.

3  Thank maskedbee
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I have eaten at the Prairie Inn many times for lunch and each time I find the food excellent and very friendly service. When I have gone with a party of people usually about twenty five we are always served quickly and what always impresses me is we all get our meals at the same time and
I have never heard any complaints from the whole group.
So keep up the great job you are doing and we all will be back soon, and hopefully this review will
help someone out there who has never tried the experience and will read this.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Very neighhood pub feel to the place. One of our unique jewels on Lower Vancouver Island. Very near local police station so have one person who does not drink alcohol.