“Happy Hogmannay”

Lion & Unicorn Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Thornhill B&B and Inns
“Happy Hogmannay”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We decided to take a last minute trio to visit friends who live in the area and stayed two nights at this charming country inn. The food was delicious with a wide menu choice. Despite the damp weather, the welcome was warm and the open fire very "toasty". Fiona and her staff made us feel very welcome and we would recommend the hotel to anyone wanting a short break to the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cambridge
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We called into this very comfortable pub/ hotel for a light lunch. Lots of choice but we decided on the home made sandwiches, which were delicious. What nearly spoiled our day was the obnoxious man at the next table. He insisted on speaking to the Chefs about what appeared to be a minor compliant about Sour Dough Bread. The Chefs were patient and polite. I think there conduct was exceptional, he just don't want to pay his bill!!

Room Tip: Two of the smaller bars have really lovely open fires, just what you need on a cold wet December day...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MrsHCambridge
UK
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Was recommended this wonderful little pub by a friend.....so glad we listened to him.
Lovely surroundings, with log fires on the go!!! Service was fast, courteous and friendly. The food was delicious, the adults had scampi and our son had the kids burger - all portions were huge and beautifully presented. Decent prices too!!!
Will we go back.....most definitely!!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Xeriod
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I was on my way driving from Aberfoyle to Edinburgh and saw this place on the side of the road. I was famished having just finished a go ape adventure and saw a sign that said home cooked food. A very charming atmosphere, wonderfully nice staff, and the best meal I've had in awhile. I had the steak burger with fries and salad. I had read about toffee pudding but never had any. I don't know if I'll try it anywhere else, it was so good I would like my memory of the dessert to not be changed from the way they made it. Delicious meal and divine dessert. I will return on my next visit to the country.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Frequented the Lion and Unicorn a few times as my girlfriemd introduced me to it as her gran was evacuated to Thornhill during the war. Never stayed over but deserves a 5* all round based on the meals. Beautiful steak pie and roast beef awesome homemade soups and fresh seafood. Please visit great place for a meal. Staff really friendly and helpful such a cosy place to relax especially during the winter days when the coal fire is roaring. Latest visit 1/9/13

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank awb2187
Stirling
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We just had a fantastic meal at the Lion and Unicorn. The baked camembert and wafer thin croutons to share stuck to our lips and were a delight to our taste buds. Local Scottish mussels in white wine and garlic were immaculately prepared for my fussy son. Our mains were oven baked skate in caper and lemon butter sauce, chicken breast stuffed with haggis and served in a creamy whisky sauce which were cooked to perfection and very tasty. My son rated his home made steak burger an 8/10 due to his suspicion of vegetables! in the home made tomato sauce which I finished off my chips with. I just managed to finish my knickerbocker glory with amaretto cherries and fresh peaches and the cranachan and chocolate brownie were met with gusto by my family. I live close to this pub/ restaurant and regularly eat here. I have always enjoyed the food thoroughly and have met many happy tourists and locals who would rate their experience as absolutely top notch.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Visited the Lion and Unicorn for a bite to eat whilst on our way to doune. We only had about an hour to have lunch which we thought would be plenty of time. Turns out we only had time for a starter. There only seemed to be one waitress serving tables, even though there were 3-4 memebrs of staff walking around. We were seated and got a drink and ordered a small starter each. This took 20 minutes to arrive. We did both really enjoyed it but thought this was very slow for what it was (one bowl of soup with a roll and a small chicken salad.) We then sat with empty plates for 10 minutes before they were cleared and asked if we would like a dessert - which we did. But it wasnt until 15 minutes later the waitress came back with the menu. By this time we didnt have time for a dessert so asked for the bill instead. 10 minutes later we still hadnt had our bill so we had to go to the bar to pay for it there. So all in all we were in for 50-55 minutes and only managed one course. It's a shame because it is a very nice little pub with nice decor and nice food, just wish we had had the chance to try more of the food!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 33292013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornhill
The Stirling Highland Hotel
#2 of 7 in Doune
The Old Tram House
The Old Tram House
#5 of 59 in Stirling

Been to Lion & Unicorn Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!