“Food and hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Thornhill B&B and Inns
Napier, New Zealand
“Food and hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

A wonderful, friendly place with excellent food! Worth a visit! We had a lovley meal there - Best was the desert "Knickabocker Glory",,,! A place full of history and in an interesting location. Thank you for the experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

This is the second time we have had a family meal at the 'Lion & Unicorn'. The food was fairly good, tasty and enjoyable. The main thing that made the meal was the relaxed atmosphere with a log fire and no pressure from the staff to finish. They were friendly and professional. Prices were slightly on the high side but it would not put us off returning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Stirling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I've been in for a meal at the Lion half a dozen times each year for various reasons over the past 6 years and the last time was last week. This is my first review though.

The menu is classic pub fare; don't expect any surprises or gastro pub pretensions. Occasionally a dish with red pepper might make the specials board but other than that it's old school - roast beef & puddings, fish & chips, pork belly & apple, tatties with everything. This is not a bad thing.... they are done well and portions are healthy.
The food quality has varied a little over the years but the average has always been good. I've ended up repeatedly going back here because of taking people once, they loved it, wanted to go again... Top end steaks are expensive but other meals are reasonable considering the portion.

The decor and character of the place is charming. Open fires and an old building make it a nice place to visit while the staff have always been welcoming and friendly. It's a wee place so if they get busy of a sudden they can struggle but my overall impression is definitely positive.

As a filthy smoker I hesitate to add that the smoking facilities are excellent. Please don't encourage us some of us are trying to give up!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Adam_Bisset
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

This is a place that we go to maybe twice a year and normally for family occasions,anyway we had heard mixed reports recently of both great food and then terrible,so from going from one end of the scale to the other.
We were about to book a big family meal (for 16) for April 2014,but decided to go and check it out due to the mixed reports. So glad I did, the meal was terrible,really bad.I had my heart set on a fillet steak, but then upon looking at the cost 5 times to check £28.95 for a 8 oz fillet steak, + a sauce at £2.95 not inc chips or potato either I thought "what planet are they on" , even Grill at The Corner in Glasgow does not charge that and they are amazing.
Starters were just ok, but main course just not up to par.My partner had a gamon steak which was very dry, I had a Homemade Steak Burger topped with Montery Jack Cheese, which I questioned " was it home made " as it didn't look home made nor tasted home made, in fact it had a really bad after taste, I managed to eat half of it before stopping, as I didn't know if it was off or just the cheese wasn't right.
Even the tap water tasted off, it also had a fusty taste to it,
So we were both still hungry.We decided to look at the sweet menu, but when we saw christmas cake was on the menu and this was 3 weeks past Christmas we thought..eh no thanks well pass this as well.I should have realized that being a Friday night, and myself and my wife being the only ones there really did say it all.
This was a place that if you didn't book 2 weeks in advance the chance of getting a table were very slim.
What a disappointment,I was surprised that the young girl clearing our plates never questioned why I had left most of my main course, but maybe they didn't want to refund their only customers that night.Maybe the chef was having an off night,but for me, that's the last time I'll waste my money there , should have gone to Callender for a chippy !

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BillClintonUSA
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

and Unicorn. As always this venue never disappoints. On a cold January with a fantastic real fire we enjoyed a lovely meal. This is a country inn/pub with a lovely atmosphere , good menu and quality locally sourced food....

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Clair C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We decided to take a last minute trio to visit friends who live in the area and stayed two nights at this charming country inn. The food was delicious with a wide menu choice. Despite the damp weather, the welcome was warm and the open fire very "toasty". Fiona and her staff made us feel very welcome and we would recommend the hotel to anyone wanting a short break to the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

We called into this very comfortable pub/ hotel for a light lunch. Lots of choice but we decided on the home made sandwiches, which were delicious. What nearly spoiled our day was the obnoxious man at the next table. He insisted on speaking to the Chefs about what appeared to be a minor compliant about Sour Dough Bread. The Chefs were patient and polite. I think there conduct was exceptional, he just don't want to pay his bill!!

Room Tip: Two of the smaller bars have really lovely open fires, just what you need on a cold wet December day...