“Good pub grub”

Ranked #9 of 54 Restaurants in Albany
Price range: US$6 - US$29
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are a family owned business who are passionate about great food, delicious drinks and wonderful service. Join us for your next occasion. Adjacent to Westfield Shopping Mall, Albany. Opposite the Albany Lake on Civic Crescent.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

A large group off us met here for dinner, almost all of us had something different. I had the salt and pepper squid which looked great but had no real flavour to it. My husband had steak which he enjoyed however one of the group had a salad which she said was way over priced for a salad. There was a long wait for our food but I suppose as there was 14 of us that could be expected Drinks weren't cheap either. Another of our friends asked for two bourbon and drys and were charged $39. They couldn't believe it and asked my husband if he could check the price when he went to the bar and sure enough that's what he was told. Wow that is amazing. Don't think we will be back.

There are newer reviews for The Merchant Bar and Kitchen

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Merchant bar is situated at the Albany Mall, so is not a location you would head to if you are looking for character or an interesting environment in which to dine. However there are very few places to eat in this area which would fulfil that criteria, and as a bar to enjoy an evening meal in, this worked well for us. We were seated promptly and, while busy, we didn't feel rushed and were able to enjoy a decent conversation without shouting at one another. The meals were generous in size (we couldn't finish the ribs!), salads fresh, service efficient and timely, and things weren't over-priced - especially if you take advantage of the offer of the day. Rib lovers please note - Thursday is ribs night at the Merchant!

1  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Great on a sunny day; good any day.
Service is consistently terrific.
Pizzas, salads & burgers good options.
Often meet friends here.
Noisy at times.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The food was served in a reasonable time and service was good.
We ordered a platter of seafood which across the board was good food and good value.
The dissapointment is the management allow cigar smoking at the tables on the patio which is the largest dining area?
Very dissapointing!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I been here twice and each time it's been a great experience.

The first time I went there with my friend for dinner and they had a quiz night on! It had a great atmosphere and I had a good laugh at some of the answers and team names. It took me a while to order because I just wanted to order everything on the menu! :D I had the steak (which was amazing) and my friend had one of the woodfire pizza's (also just as amazing). There was also a table next too me, who had the beer battered fish and chips, and that smelled SO good. I also managed to squeeze in a chocolate fondant, which was cooked to perfection and not too rich.

Second time, I came here again during the afternoon and they had live music on. Very talented singers and again great atmosphere. Overall, great place to come and hang out with some mates, or unwind after work.