All reviews roll top bath huge bathroom fish and chips gastro pub bar area for sunday lunch pudding comfy sofas main course varied menu specials board ate here lovely pub torsin room lamb south lakes stayed one night
Reviewed 27 February 2017 via mobile

Have been looking forward to going for meal for a long time as it always seemed busy. Went for a family meal to celebrate my birthday.
Nice ambiance and that's about the best I can say. Took ages for our order to be taken Didn't get get we asked for eg asked for mash got chips etc etc. Gammon steak was very salty could not be eaten. Lamb was nice. Daughter had three sorbets which were disgusting, other desserts were poor. Service was not great. Did complain and was not charged for a meal. Would not recommend this place or go again.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank dianakJ3542AF
Reviewed 27 February 2017

We booked in for lunch for my husbands birthday after a couple of our friends had recommended it and we were not disappointed. We loved the decor of the place, a mix of modern and traditional. We ordered 3 courses and the food was amazing! The service was great, staff were very friendly and attentive. We would definitely go back, in fact we are planning to return with our parents soon.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2017

We drive past this hotel so often, now that we live nearby, the car park is always busy, and every time we pass we say we must try there sometime. Well today was the day, being my own and a friend's birthday, we thought it would be a good place for ourselves and partners to have a birthday lunch. Having already looked at a sample menu on line and noted the prices, not cheap, our expectations of having good food were quite high. Sadly, we were disappointed to say the least. My partner and I had fish pie, thinking it was a safe option. First impression when served was that they were rather small portions for the price. But that was actually a good thing as we struggled to eat it. The fish was just smoked haddock, which fair enough, was as the menu described, but my expectation was that there would be other types of fish mixed with it. No. The mashed potato topping was very dry and solid. I will not comment on the samphire and sea asparagus served with it as a veg. My friend ordered mac and cheese with comfit of duck. She had to ask for it to be heated up as it was almost cold. When re-served it was only just acceptable. Just not good enough. I think the fourth member of our party enjoyed the rabbit pie. He ate it all anyway. Given our disappointment we decided against pudding. On a positive note the coffee was really good. We won't be going again. Such a shame as the place itself is really very nice. I do not think that we are particularly difficult to please when dining out. I just would like to be served food that is at least as good and preferably better than we have at home. I was hoping not to have to cook a meal this evening being my birthday but hey ho.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Liz B
Reviewed 16 February 2017

We were lucky enough to be giIfted 2 nights in this wonderful relaxed place. Big, comfortable room well equipped and tastefully furnished. Downstairs, the bar and restaurant delightfully quirky, a mix of big sofas, scrubbed tables & cosy corners. Big breakfasts and delicious dinners using fresh, local ingredients. The staff, helpful and welcoming, genuinely wanting us to enjoy our stay - and we did!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

I have visited several times and have not been disappointed.
The beer and the food are excellent.
A meal plus pint may cost from as little as 12 pounds.
British Pub food plus more elaborate dishes if you prefer.

Trip type: Travelled solo