All reviews roll top bath huge bathroom fish and chips gastro pub bar area for sunday lunch pudding comfy sofas main course varied menu specials board ate here lovely pub torsin room lamb south lakes stayed one night
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Nice food and lovely place. Called in on spec twice lately and impressed with the food service and decor. Relaxed feel and not hurried. We only ate here- would love to stay but too close to home. Believe it is the same chain as the punchbowl at crossthwaite? Never been but hear good reports.
Give it a try

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2017

Very large bedroom & bathroom but the latter has no heating & the shower cubicle could be dangerous as it has a smooth floor with no bath mat.There are some nice touches with lights in the floor at the ends of the free standing bath & a torch - an item we have never found in our numerous hotel/motel rooms previously.
The breakfast was huge - my wife had porridge which filled a large bowl meaning she could not eat all her cooked breakfast - who needs lunch!
The staff were friendly & helpful however I think it is slightly overpriced.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

On arrival we thought we'd found a gem. Lovely deco and comfy atmosphere. My sister in law didn't want a full meal and asked what cakes were available to have with a coffee. She was told they didn't have any cakes and it was only 3.30 - 4.00 Sunday afternoon. We ordered drinks and ask for the menu. Drinks came but no one took our food order. We had to ask if we order our food at the bar or if someone takes our order. A young girl eventually took our order. The place wasn't busy at all and staff were standing around chatting with each other. The meal seem to take an age to come. My husband ordered cheese and onion pie chips and beans and I ordered a small monumental ale battered haddock chips and crushed peas. The cheese and onion pie on arrival looked very nice. However once the top was taken off it was like cheese soup with vegetables - not what was ordered. The haddock looked like a cheap piece of battered fish triangular in shape the type you get from somewhere like Iceland. We were not impressed at all. A man came over after we had finished with our plates and asked if we wanted to see the dessert menu. My sister in law was upset at this as this was not mentioned to her when she asked for cake and was told there wasn't any. We didn't complain as we just wanted to get out of there quickly. We will not return nor will we recommend to anyone. Such a shame. If the food and service could be sorted this could be a fantastic place.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Nicola D
Reviewed 13 May 2017

This is a great looking place, interesting decor and warm atmosphere. Having eaten lunch here on a number of occasasions I took my family for an evening meal. Although the food looked good, some of the items were hot when served and others on the same plate were only luke warm. We should have sent them back, but didn't.. None of us felt too well the next day. Had to ask for the bill three times over 20 minutes

Reviewed 10 May 2017

My wife and I had a stopover here on our way south. Our bedroom was astonishing and the bathroom even more so. The bedroom was very spacious and tastefully decorated with ample storage. The bathroom was huge with a bath, a superb shower cubicle and lots of shelf space. It beat anything I have experienced in a 4 star hotel! Unfortunately we had a dreadful night's sleep due to excessive heat in the room even with the window open. In the end we took the cover off the duvet and slept under that. The lounge/bar areas downstairs were also very tastefully decorated with a lovely atmosphere throughout.
It is such a shame that the food lets the hotel down badly. The breakfast was disappointing with no fresh fruit and dinner was also very disappointing. If the Plough employed a top quality chef it would be simply unbeatable.