“The plough-excellent”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I visited the plough with my friend and our two children the service was great and the food was the best id had in a while. Me and my friend sent compliments to the head chef. I had the goats cheese salad which was delicious followed by the belly pork which was cooked to perfection and the kids had sausage and mash and loved it will defiantly be going back to the plough :)

Reviewed 22 March 2014

My wife and I had booked for dinner last night, it being my wife's birthday.
We have been to The Plough a few times, including having Christmas lunch there twice and a previous birthday meal.
We had looked at the web site and believed that the sample menu shown was similar to on previous visits. We were very much looking forward to sharing a selection of "small plates", enjoying a main course and then maybe a selection of the interesting cheeses. But what did we find on our arrival? A totally different menu, much more basic which it seems is served from 12-9pm. I have to say that our waitress was excellent and very patiently answered all our questions. We asked when the menu had changed and were told it was several months ago - so why is the more up market menu still shown on line? Apparently it's due to them having problems with the people that run the web site ie. they can't/won't remove it! Other reasons given: there was too much wastage (in other words not much fresh produce is served), the chef was 2nd in charge at their sister hotel (The Punchbowl at Crosthwaite) and will be changing the menu soon, they cater for a different clientele (passing trade who want a quick meal and go) and so it went on.......
We really did struggle to find anything we fancied from the menu, who wants fish and chips, gammon and chips etc. when they are out for a celebration? My wife's starter could have been put together by one of our young grandchildren - a small pile of baby leaves,cold pre packed beet root, cold pears from a jar/tin, barely warm crumbs of goats cheese. The menu stated "truffle honey dressing" - there was no dressing at all. My wife said it was the most boring starter she had ever had!
Our main courses were botched up from the special of Stone bass and a risotto. Not good, really small fillet of fish and large chunks of chewy sun dried tomatoes in the risotto - totally overpowered the flavour of the fish. We had a side dish of green veg. and some onion rings, my wife said the onion rings were the best part of the meal even though they were on the greasy side.
We looked a the sweet menu, the usual thing, I opted for sticky toffee pud which was ok but nothing special. My wife chose a selection of 3 cheeses, ok but a bit boring and the Brie was so under ripe it was inedible.
We asked for 2 cuppa chinos in the bar area but we're told the machine was broken! This seemed to top the lot so I went to the bar to pay where another member of staff asked If everything was ok. When I had told her, she disappeared only to return saying that our comments would be passed on. As our waitress had already mentioned the problems to the chef, we have no idea why she said that. When my wife visited the ladies room, she spotted, what we presume was a manager of sorts sitting in front of his PC. It seems that it was perhaps too much effort for him to walk the few yards to speak to us.
When you reach mid age it is fairly obvious that on occasions you have to mention when things are not up to scratch. We can honestly say this is the only time that no recompense was offered, not even a complementary drink.
3 years ago we also visited The Plough, for a joint birthday celebration. When the lady in charge found out, she bought out 2 plates with hand made truffles and "Happy birthday" piped in chocolate on each plate. It seems such touches have long gone.
We have eaten at The Punchbowl a few times including a wonderful Christmas lunch last time round. There is no comparison between the 2 restaurants. We will return to The Punchbowl soon but not to The Plough and as we are local, we are telling our friends not to visit either. We feel that if the chef is used to working in the kitchens of The Punchbowl he must be very disillusioned with his working day now!
A final warning: check the menus on the web site before booking as looking on there today there seem to be 2 completely different ones!
We feel it is such a shame that things have changed so much. People will not return if things are not up to scratch.
Once again, we really appreciated the help given by our main waitress, we feel sure she has had to answer the same questions many times already.

3  Thank gerrardCumbria
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Mid week so quiet but well looked after and the lunch was well cooked and presented. Spacious and comfortable with comfy sofas in the lounge or the dining room. Would go back again if in the area

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We live locally and pop in occasionally for a drink. Apart from Christmas day 2013, this is the first time I have eaten here. I didn't review Christmas day as I never think that is a fair representation of any pub or restaurant, much like Valentine's day etc. Not that our experience on Christmas day was not a good one, it's just not representative of day to day eating out.

We had starters and main courses and all four dishes were delicious. The service was a little bit slow, but I don't think this is a bad thing - in fact, I prefer not to feel rushed. When we did ask for more drinks, we were served quickly. The one thing I think is really worth commenting on is the Sunday roast. I ordered roast beef and, without exception, this was the very best roast beef I have ever had. It was as soft as butter and served in thick slices with great veg. I would say that the potatoes were deep fried rather than roasted, which is a bit of a shame, but overall this was an excellent lunch and good value for money.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Menu,service,food and service. Second to none wonderful wine menu and prices reasonable even have a children's menu. We were allowed entry on an afternoon with three soaking wet muddy children and it was so good my wife and I came back for an evening meal superb