Castletroy Park Hotel
  • Restaurant
The Savoy Hotel(Limerick)
Great 4.5/5
  • Pool
All reviewsafternoon tealovely hotelbar foodtop classwedding receptionleisure centrereception areawould highly recommend this hotelstaff were so friendlyfrom start to finishbar stafffunction roomfood was lovelybreakfast was excellentfamily roomcar parklimerick city
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were looking for a base for our visit to Ireland when picking up my daughter from UL, and this was perfect! Just outside the university gates, it allowed us to quickly go back and forth. Despite the comments below, our two rooms (113 & 115) we're clean, tidy and had no glaring issues. Beds were comfortable with ample covers and pillows. Housekeeping always left ample supplies & a fresh and tidy room. Desk staff were both friendly and helpful, even patently helping me with my boarding passes for my next flight. Breakfast offered a good selection and the hot dishes were customized to my dietary requirements without extra charge or issues. Wi-fi is free and can be accessed throughout the hotel. The connection was strong with no dropped connections.

The hotel is undergoing an upgrade, but there are signs posted and apologizing for any inconvenience, which despite my allergies to paints, were for us ....none! The fitness centre is impressive, with more offerings than most American hotels! My husband and son are fitness buffs (my home basement is a personal gym!) and they were impressed. Parking is free and there is parking at the back and front of the hotel. If you follow the signs, you enter the back. There IS a front entrance just past the parking area where you can drop off your passengers and luggage.

The location is a few minutes drive from downtown Limerick City Center, but honestly it's not farther than 10 mins.

We had a wonderful visit and would stay again!

Sláinte!

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Mississauga-Chick
James G, Director of Sales at Castletroy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Mississauga-Chick

Firstly let us thank you for such a great review that is most appreciated from a top contributor of Tripadvisor. Our property, located opposite the gates of the University of Limerick, Is perfectly placed for both family and corporate visitors alike.
On behalf of all team members I would like to thank you for augmenting the below reviews and using words such as Clean, Comfortable and Friendly to describe both our property and staff. Thank you for complementing the quality of food on offer in our property and the willingness of your kitchen to offer personalized dishes in accordance with your dietary requirements.
We were happy to read that your family had the time to use our gym facilities, we hope that you also had time to enjoy the 20 meter pool along with the steam room, Sauna and Jacuzzi!
Our property is indeed undergoing renovations to restore it to its former pride, and we would be delighted to see you and your family return upon completion to relax in what we hope will be Limericks leading four star hotel property, for future reservations please do not hesitate to contact Lisa our reservations supervisor on lofarrell@castletroypark.ie

Kind regards

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Booked on line several months ago and read the previous comments with interest. The hotel is well appointed on the right side of the city. Good access free parking, clean well aired reception. Rooms were good size clean with good standard of fixtures and fittings. Bed comfortable and you could tell the hotel is in transition with the hotel not quite there in all areas. The leisure area was great and we used each day. Did not breakfast or eat there. The hotel was full of children taking communion on Saturday and were a little unruly, not hotels fault though. The staff are the hotels best asset they were helpful to the extreme and helped us work our way around the city, nothing was to much and like all the locals that we met great ambassadors for the hotel and Ireland. Would use the hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask if events are on that may affect enjoyment.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel does not has a proper entrance. The staff do not inform you about breakfast. The wall paper was peeling off in the room. The guest in room cooler did not work. Carpet was stained. Bathroom tiles had aweful mold. Bed was lumpy. Breakfast service was plagued with avoidance of service. Not walkable distance from Limerick.
The worst and most dangerous was the windows did not close. My son could have opened the window and fallen down.
This would be a 2 and 1/2 or 3 star in USA. No way was a 4 star. even in European standards. This was like a Motel 6 or a Super 8 motel with a little more service.
If you are American...Stay way.
I have travelled for 40 years throughout the world. I do not think I was this disappointed in a long time. It seemed no one was supervising staff how to act or behave.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dr. Sanjay S
James G, Manager at Castletroy Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Dr Sastry,

Further to our personal correspondents that I do hope helped explained and answer your observations and critique recently posted on Tripadviser. As we are currently in correspondents please do not hesitate to contact me further when I would be delighted to add to my explanation if required and apology. I hope to be able to welcome you back to Castletroy Park in the future when a newly refurbished suite and our usual impeccable standards of service await you.
Until then.

Very best regards,

L. Gregson

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed here with my colleague on a work trip from 14th-17th May 2014, I was struck by the customer service and incredible cheeriness of all the staff I encountered. The bed was sooooo comfortable, the breakfast amazing and all in all it was great. I would thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: King size bedroom was amazing
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Clare K
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Me and my wife stayed for just the one night. Looks like parts have been refurbished recently but those that not look tired and in places quite shabby.

Our room was an executive room, nicely done (although standard of re-decoration was poor, paint on door handles etc) and plenty of room and a huge comfy bed. Tv with Sky channels but some were badly tuned in. Only one bathrobe in the room, never got used anyway, but point being if thats what should be included then it should be there to use. Aircon/heating very noisy (blow air), but warms the room very quickly so no need to be on long.

Most of the circulation areas looked like they had been refurbished and also quite nice. The bar and restaurant a bit tired looking and in places look like they are in desperate need of refurbishment and new furniture etc.

Took about 5 mins to get served in the bar, not many in, just had to wait for a bar person to appear! Not the friendliest hotel we have stayed at, most staff would just walk past without even a simple smile, morning or hello, but reception staff were very good and friendly.

The only food we had was breakfast and was ok.

Parking was a bit odd, meant you had to come in the back door. Not sure it was secure either, although there is CCTV.

Good location for us being away from the city centre, and shops and a restaurant right across the way.

In our opinion not 4 stars and not value for money compared to previous stays.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple