“Overnight just okay”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Castletroy
Leitrim, Ireland
“Overnight just okay”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Basic 3 starproperty, Which offers a lovely welcome at reception and then fails to deliver beyond.
Rooms comfortable yet no lift access.Food in bar bland with steak tough,small portions of overcooked veg and pricey for what you get.Unkempt poorly groomed Bar staff had to be informed glasses were not clean! No pool or apparent leisure facilities.

Room Tip: Avoid checking in if Large sporting activity is in the area.......YOU WILL NOT SLEEP!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
KilmurryLodge, Son to Proprietor at Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear curaghill123,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Kilmurry Lodge. Firstly let me apologize for the lack of sleep that you received on the night of your stay, we expect all guests should have a comfortable night’s sleep and apologize that you did not. We do on occasion have groups stay with us in the hotel, whether it is for a big game in Thomond Park, a sporting activity at the University of Limerick or a tour. When we take bookings for such groups we do our best to ensure the credentials of the group reflects our own, while also expecting that they will conduct themselves in an appropriate manner. On the rare occasion that this fails to happen it can affect another guest’s stay but it is something we as management are continuously trying to improve on and implement systems whereby it will be less likely to happen in the future.
I have also passed on your comments to the bar manager and head chef. We do not have leisure facilities in-house but all guests of the Kilmurry Lodge Hotel can avail of a 10% discount at the University of Limerick Sports Arena which is a 10 minute walk from the hotel. I would like to pin-point the exact details of your stay with us in March, in order to understand further as to why and how we let you down. If you could contact me directly on 061-331133 EXT 2 or jack@kilmurrylodge.com
Jack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hillsborough
Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

We were treated to a 2 night stay by our friends to coincide with the rugby match at Thomond. The receptionist was a gem, so friendly and such a contrast to the often indifferent approach in many hotels. After the match the guys arrived back in high spirits and felt like having a roast beef sandwich, absolutely no problem the chef carved off a couple of slices and the kitchen sorted us out in jig time.
The girls were well also advised on the shopping.
All in all a great job well done. Thank you.

Stayed April 2012
KilmurryLodge, Son to Proprietor at Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear robauxgets,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a warm review. It was a pleasure to read such positive feedback and I will be passing on your compliments to all the team. We look forward to welcoming you to the Kilmurry Lodge during your next visit to Limerick.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed overnight in the Kilmurry Lodge for our trip to Thomond Park. We could not have asked for better. Every member of staff was so helpful and courtesy it was a pleasure. The hotel was very comfortable and very welcoming. There were suttle buses to the match from the carpark which was so handy. Definitely worth a return visit.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
KilmurryLodge, Son to Proprietor at Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Dee P,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a warm review. We were delighted to read your feedback on your Rugby weekend break to Limerick. It was with great pleasure to hear such great reviews about the members of our team that you encountered throughout the weekend. I have passed on all your compliments to various staff members and your personal email currently sits proudly on our notice board! We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Limerick.
Donegal Ireland
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This is my second stay in this hotel and the check in was fast and friendly. The rooms are older but very comfortable and I have to say for the weekend that was in it very quiet. Fresh towels daily if required and room serviced which is great. Air conditioning which was a blessing as I ended up sick with the flu.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone but and yes I am afraid there is a but.
On Saturday night I went into bar to order a hot whiskey as I was sick with flu, I was ignored twice and when my order was taken by the bar man he then proceeded to server someone else before me, the bar was not busy by any means. On the Sunday evening we went to the bar to have something to eat, the bar man came down asked did we want anything. We ordered food and glass of water and a sparkling water. Our starter arrived with no sign of the drinks, we waited a full half hour for them after I had to go ask the bar man. Also I had to go ask for our main meal as it seemed to disappear. I asked for gravy to be on side but it was all over plate but as we were in a hurry I said nothing.
I am sorry to say but the bar staff leave a lot to be desired and this is such a let down to a lovely hotel and the rest of the staff

Room Tip: I stayed in 507 smallish room but very very quiet
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
KilmurryLodge, Son to Proprietor at Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Sligojo33,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Firstly let me apologize for the poor service that you encountered at the bar during your stay. In light of your comments I have spoken to the Bar Manager and asked him (Anthony) to look further into this matter. Although quiet obviously standards had dropped on this particular occasion, we quiet often receive compliments about our team in Nelligan’s bar.
It was nice to note that aside from the aforementioned incidents, you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay with us. I have passed on your compliments to everyone at the front desk. We truly value all our customers and in particular guests who repeatedly avail of the Kilmurry Lodge. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Limerick. Should you feel the need to contact me in relation to any of the above, my email is jack@kilmurrylodge.com or my direct line is 061-331133 Ext 2,
Newcastle
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in March 2012. I thought it was fantastic. It isn't a swanky five star place, but I don't think anybody claims that it is. However, it has a comfy bed, a spotlessly clean bathroom and a quick, reliable, free wireless internet connection, and generally that is all I want. Suprisingly big room by British standards. However, it has a great bar. Its a real bar, where locals go to drink (which means it is priced very reasonably unlike most hotel bars), and I had a good chat with a few. I ate in the bar 2 nights, and the food was great for the price, and I liked Mary the waitress. (On one night I just nipped over the road to the good chipper....but what on earth is "Square Fish"?) The buffet breakfast was delicious and I loved the pudding. When I'm next in Limerick there is only one place that I'll be staying.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear RexyRoo,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a warm and lovely review. It was particularly satisfying to note that your review made glowing reference to such a wide variety of departments & amenities within the hotel, while also taking into account the value for money that was on offer. I have passed on your compliments to all department heads and also Mary in the bar. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Kilmurry Lodge during your next stay in Limerick
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We stayed in the Kilmurry Lodge Hotel recently for just one night and found it ideally situated for Limerick University, which is easily within walking distance if required. Although parts of the hotel could do with a little redecoration, the staff couldn't have been more helpful, and the room we stayed in was very clean and fresh. We also had an evening meal at the hotel, and found the food very good, and well served. Breakfast the following morning was also very good, the staff again very relaxed but efficient. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Kilmurry Lodge.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
KilmurryLodge, at Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Hi wynkin,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a warm review. It is with great pleasure to note that the hotel staff that you dealt with were both friendly and efficient. I will be passing your comments onto the various department heads and I shall speak with the owner in relation to the redecoration. Finally we appreciate your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you to the Kilmurry Lodge in the near future,
Dunboyne, Ireland
Reviewed 10 February 2012

There really isn't much good or bad to write about the Kilmurry Lodge. Its very predictable, kinda like a Holiday Inn. The last room I had there was on the ground floor, so I couldn't leave the windows open and it was stuffy. Its close to the University. Another reviewer said it was close to the airport. Shannon airport is 45 minutes away, not close in my book. The bar is good. A classic Irish pub.
On another stay, a few years ago, someone had climbed to the roof and was attempting to enter my room via the window. When he saw It was occupied, he fell off. I rang the desk, who rang me back after I had fallen back asleep, to tell me it was a drunken student and I shouldn't worry! Ah sure, it'll be fine.

I'd say, unless the the location is important, there are many other fine hotels in Limerick, some at a lesser price.

Breakfast was buffet with dried scambled eggs - ah, come on, gimme a decent fry-up, will ya!

You can do much better for the price

Room Tip: None of he rooms I've ever stayed in had anything resembling a view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
KilmurryLodge, Son to Proprietor at Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Hi DublinBanjoMan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. However I am somewhat disappointed in reading the account of your stay with us. We take great pride in offering value for money here in the Kilmurry Lodge, while also offering a distinctively unique hotel experience, one in which provides our customers with a sense of warmth and friendliness in addition to quality food and comfortable accommodation. I am concerned as to why and how you didn’t encounter these experiences, with the exception of your visit to Nelligans bar.

In relation to Shannon Airport, the development of the new motorway and the Limerick tunnel has decreased the journey timeframe from Shannon to Limerick significantly. 25 to 35 minutes from the airport to the hotel, by car, has come to be the norm.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is through such reviews that we try to evaluate our position within the industry and gain a greater consumer insight. Should you at any stage wish to contact me in relation to your previous stays or upcoming stay, please email me at, jack@kilmurrylodge.com
Jack
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castletroy
Castletroy Park Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick
Woodfield House Hotel
Woodfield House Hotel
#11 of 20 in Limerick

Been to Kilmurry Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!