“Top Notch, if not for a few things...”

Kilmurry Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Castletroy
Co Tyrone
“Top Notch, if not for a few things...”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My impressions from a one night stay were generally very good, but with a few relatively serious drawbacks. The staff were friendly and helpful, (something the hotel should pride itself on), it was close to the University of Limerick, and to the motorway, which was extremely handy.The room was comfortable, if not slightly bare. The free WiFi worked fantastically,and most of all, the room service food was among the best I have ever tasted,(this detail alone was what just about bumped it up from an 'Average' to a 'Very good'). The breakfast buffet didn't have a great variety of foods, but the food they served was good, but the buffet room was cramped and generally lacked atmosphere, and was poorer than most I have experienced. The WORST problem was certainly the bathroom, easily the poorest aspect of the the stay.It was unclean with limescale spotted fixtures, the cracks in the tiles were filled with mold and mildew, and the shower flowed badly and was absolutely CAKED in limescale. It was DISGUSTING. Obviously this shocking lack of hygiene damaged the review. Otherwise, great hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary M
KilmurryLodge, Son to Proprietor at Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Mary M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review of your stay at the Kilmurry Lodge. For the most part I was delighted to read such positive feedback in particular your mention of our friendly & helpful staff. You are spot on, in that we absolutely pride ourselves on the warmth, friendliness & helpfulness of our staff who are key in helping us deliver that home away from home type atmosphere & ambience.

Please accept my sincere apologies in relation to the cleanliness of the bathroom. We do perform regular checks in relation to limescale build up, nevertheless I accept that it wasn’t at an acceptable standard on this occasion. I have since had maintenance carry out a deep clean to all bathrooms throughout the hotel, with more frequent cleaning schedules in place to ensure this problem does not arise again.

Finally, thank you for taking the time to write such an open & honest review; it is through this type of feedback that we can continue to improve our product & standards. I hope we can welcome you back to the Kilmurry Lodge on your next visit to Limerick,

Warm Regards
Jack Hoare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We often stay in the area due to the fact that my husband is from Co. Limerick. This month we stayed in The Killymurry Lodge twice.
The customer service is of the highest standered . Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The bar food was very good , served promptly and any fussy request met with a smile and a "no bother at all" reply. Very busy all evening and through to closing. That alone is a good indication of good food/drinks and service. People only return if all the boxes are ticked.
Breakfast each day was a great start of the day. I can say hand on heart that Eileen makes the best tea in any Hotel in the world . She is a treasure. The reception staff were a delight and Phila's
smile and friendly help will have us back again.
We just loved our two stays in The Kilmurry Lodge.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms 200plus. Not fit for the fitness or pool due to food and hot Whiskey !
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Nora W,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay at the Kilmurry Lodge. I was delighted to read that we ticked all the boxes in relation to your stay but most importantly that the warmth & friendliness of our staff sincerely resonated with you. I have passed on your feedback to both Eileen & Phila, needless to say they were thrilled with your comments. We look forward to welcoming back to the Kilmurry Lodge on your next visit to Limerick,

County Clare, Ireland
Reviewed 7 November 2013

last night my friend and I ate in the bar of this hotel and it was the first time I was in this hotel as well.
we just had two main courses - the salmon that I had was excellent and cooked perfectly, a white wine cream sauce with a hint of lemon coming through it was tasty, fresh vegetables came with it and a potato cake underneath the salmon and a small side salad.
my friend had the lasagne with home made chips and in it was some vegetables going through it which also looked very good too.
the menu overall was impressive with dishes such was plaice, burgers, steak, pasta, supreme of chicken and curry and it had some nice starters on it like brie cheese etc. A main course costed between 9-13 euro maximum.
I would call back to this place again as it is nice a bar and had a nice crowd coming and going all evening either for eating or drinking and the girls on the floor serving food were pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear nisior87,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your experience at the Kilmurry Lodge and in particular Nelligan’s bar. It was a pleasure to read such a warm review and I was delighted to share it with our head chef & her team. We look forward to welcoming you & yours back to Nelligans bar in the near future,

Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel is well equipped: the rooms are good, the bathrooms clean and the free wifi works well. So far so good.

The restaurant is only average - definitely in the "freezer to microwave" category. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but I thought it quite expensive for what it was.

The heating in the bedroom was bizarre - from being really cold during the afternoon to boiling hot at 3am.

The staff, however, were all excellent, and it's actually a decent place to stay. It could be much better with a little more effort.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear christobm,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Kilmurry Lodge. I was very pleased to read all your positive feedback in particular your reference to our excellent staff. I acknowledge that on this occasion perhaps we only delivered an average meal however I do not accept your freezer to microwave categorization, as all our food if freshly prepared each day, which is sourced from local produce.

In relation to the heating in the room, it is on a timer whereby it turns on in the afternoon at 4pm and turns off again at 11pm. The heat would only be on at 3am if a guest requested to have it turned on outside of the timer’s hours.

Once again thank you for your review and your recommendation; I do hope to see you returning to the Kilmurry Lodge on your next visit to Limerick,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stay in this hotel for all home games in Thomond Park. The hotel staff are always so friendly and helpful and make our stay enjoyable. Food and drink are excellent and the rooms are always very comfortable.The Limerick Park&Ride adds to the hotel as it makes travelling to and from the games so easy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
KilmurryLodge, Son to Proprietor at Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Julie M,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a warm review of your stay at the Kilmurry Lodge. I was delighted to read your comments about our helpful & friendly staff and I look forward to sharing your feedback with them. It is also pleasing to read that you feel our Park & Ride service on match day adds value & convenience to one’s stay. Your recommendation is very much appreciated, as is your repeat custom and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Kilmurry Lodge for Munster’s next match in Thomond Park,

cheshire
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on many occasions while travelling with my husband on business, I cannot fault it in anyway the rooms are clean and spacious the breakfast is plentiful and the bar food is good quality home cooking at a reasonable price.
I will definitely stay at this Hotel again.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the ground floor so you don't have to carry your cases up or downstairs I could n...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
KilmurryLodge, Son to Proprietor at Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear orangeCheshire,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay at the Kilmurry Lodge. We are delighted with your recommendation and most appreciative of your repeat custom. I was also thrilled that you described our hotel as ‘homely’, as creating a home away from home type of environment for our guests is really what the Kilmurry Lodge is all about. Once again many thanks for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Limerick,

Maynooth, Ireland
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed in the Lodge the weekend of the Leinster v Munster Rabo Direct game in Thomond Park. Great location as the local park n ride bus to the game runs from the hotel. Lots of TV screens showing sport whipping up the excitement both before and after the game. Great atmosphere, great carvery and buffet breakfast great pint of Guinness and great craic. We'll be back.

• Stayed October 2013
KilmurryLodge, Son to Proprietor at Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Dear Dermot_Patricia_99

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your stay at the Kilmurry Lodge. I was delighted to read that you really enjoyed the match day atmosphere in the hotel both before & after the Munster vs Leinster game in Thomond Park. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Kilmurry Lodge on your next visit to Limerick and once again thank you for such lovely feedback,

Jack Hoare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castletroy
Castletroy Park Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick
Woodfield House Hotel
Woodfield House Hotel
#11 of 20 in Limerick

Been to Kilmurry Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!