“Little gem in the countryside.”

Fat Lamb Country Inn and Restaurant
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Little gem in the countryside.”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights b&b through the amazon voucher scheme. The whole experience was nothing short of outstanding. The hotel staff are very efficient, very pleasant and are keen to please and make your stay enjoyable. The bedroom was very clean and tidy, with more than enough room. The food in the dining room was something special. We had the four courses and could hardly move when we finished. The only comment I can make about the reviewer who said the portions were small is, "glutton". We will certainly be returning here for another stay and would like to extend our thanks to the staff for a lovely stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philnumberone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I would like to be able to give a review about the Fat Lamb as a whole but unfortunately I can only review the service. The Fat Lamb advertised through Amazon Local a discounted two night B&B break for two to be taken before the 31/03/14. To take advantage of this offer I had to purchase a voucher through Amazon Local which stated in the terms and conditions could be used any time up to the 31/03/14 with the exception of between 20/12/13 and 02/01/14. This was perfect as I intended using the voucher for a weekend stay over the 24th/25th January 2014 to celebrate my wife's birthday. I phoned the Fat Lamb who confirmed they had the rooms available and that I could use the voucher as part of my booking so I purchased the vouchers and phoned them back to make my booking. Unfortunately in the hour it took for the vouchers to be confirmed by Amazon when I phoned the Fat Lamb back there was no one who could take my booking and I was told to call the following day. At 9.30am the following day I did and spoke to a lady who without any explanation said she would have to phone me back and promised she would later that day. She didn't! The next day I called and spoke to another lady. This time I was told she didn't know anything about the Amazon vouchers and she would phone me back later that day. At 5.30pm over 8 hours later she hadn't so I phoned the Fat Lamb again. When eventually I got to speak to the lady I'd spoken with that morning it was apparent she was about to leave work without phoning me back and that she hadn't spoken to the manager for confirmation that I could use the vouchers. I explained that I knew there was available room and that there was nothing in the terms and conditions agreed by the Fat Lamb management which would suggest I couldn't. It was at this point I was told it was unlikely that I could use the vouchers as the weekend I wanted to book was included Burns Night and the hotel ran packages for that weekend.
The following day the lady phoned me back and confirmed I wouldn't be able to use the vouchers as it was Burns Night and the hotel only ran packages on that night. This rendered the vouchers useless to me and when I asked what I did about a refund I was abruptly told to speak to Amazon and hung up on.
Unless the Robert Burns celebrations are a new thing never celebrated before which obviously isn't the case, then the management at the Fat Lamb should have honoured the terms and conditions they agreed too when they advertised on Amazon, whilst teaching their staff a degree of good manners and returning calls.
I can't review the hotel itself but the terms and conditions agreed to in their advertising are legally binding and with this in mind if the service and manners of the management and staff are anything to go by I would steer clear.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
14 Thank Stephen I
cowbank, Guest Relations Manager at Fat Lamb Country Inn and Restaurant, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
We're in the process of requesting that Trip Advisor remove this review, as we believe it is in breach of their own guidelines as the reviewer has not actually stayed with us, and as they point out above this doesn't allow them to fairly rate our property.

In case the review has to remain, we'd just like to say we're sorry these people have been so frustrated with being able to book their stay. Our manager is away at the moment for personal reasons and there have been times when workload has meant our reception has not been staffed as well as usual in the evenings.

We politely pointed the guests back in the direction of Amazon as they are very good about issuing refunds for vouchers (the refund has to come from them no us). We flatly contest that we "hung up" on them.

We do think it reasonable for prospective customers paying just £99 for a two night stay for two people to expect there to be some restrictions. Admittedly Burns Night was not specifically mentioned as a restriction on the voucher, but the terms and conditions allow us to set availability for vouchers on given dates and we are in now way in breach of any legally binding terms.

We're sorry things didn't work out in this case but we feel receiving a black mark like this on such a public forum is out of all proportion.
Bolton
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My friend and I stayed two nights B& B and were impressed with the warm welcome and very clean bedrooms. Just unfortunate that we didn't see the nature reserve at it's best, as it was very windy and water-logged during our stay. Food was above average and very tasty.
Only drawback was that the decor in the lounge area and dining room was somewhat dated. But a cosy little bolt hole for anyone. Dogs welcome too.

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank mummaz50
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We decided to stay at the Fat Lamb for an overnight stay after reading positive comments on tripadvisor. However, we were very disappointed. Having booked the £25 per head restaurant meal we had a pre dinner drink in the bar to discover the only snack to go with the drink was a bag of crisps. We went into the restaurant and our order was taken straight away but then had to wait 35 minutes before a bowl of soup and a cold starter were brought out. The main course came and was very disappointing - very small portions and not good quality. We were the only people in the restaurant the whole evening and the atmosphere was terrible - bright lights and uncomfortable chairs. Breakfast was therefore as expected - very basic. The bedroom was clean if a little dated.
From our experience it was not worth the money to eat in the restaurant and overall an expensive b&b.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Gingerdotty
cowbank, Manager at Fat Lamb Country Inn and Restaurant, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
We're sorry to hear these guest did not enjoy their stay. We would like to point out for the benefit of other customers that we offer a full bar menu, with snacks and nibbles such as olives, garlic bread, cheese melts, etc, which many people have in the bar before heading through to the restaurant. We do only have crisps and nuts on the bar itself however. This is all in addition to our three course restaurant menu, which is changed daily, so most guests are very happy with the range and quality of the menu.

We also apologise for the waiting time these guests experienced - ordinarily we encourage guests to wait in the bar area until their table is ready.

All in all we seem to have been at crossed purposes with these customers, got off on the wrong foot so to speak, which is a shame, as I'm sure in other circumstances they would have enjoyed their stay (and the food).
yorkshire
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We travelled to the Fat Lamb in Ravenstonedale on the 25th October 2013 for 2 nights. It was a lovely break away with my family.

We arrived about 2pm & we just sat by the fire cosily with our magazines/books and whiled away the hours until the rest of the family arrived at half 4. It was a paticularly windy/rainy day so we sat inside watching the world go by. The biggest thing about this hotel is it's setting. It is truelly beautiful. The views of the fells are magnificient! With the local nature reserve just a few strides away it is a perfect spot for those who are interested in wildlife & walking.

Whilst this hotel is not the ''fanciest'' hotel in the world is has all the quirks of a local country pub inn. My grandparents have been travelling here yearly with frequent visits through the year. They love it.

We were on a half board basis - the food did not dissapoint. I don't normally eat lamb but my fiance persuaded me to & it was delicious! All the deserts were yummy. My favourite was the chocolate mousse. Drinks were quite reasonable. We also had a bacon & brie baguette when we were a little peckish after a long day out & it was amazing!

The room itself was quite dated, but it was comfortable and did what it said on the tin. We were on the ground floor & the views were still spectacular. Being in a quiet spot this not bother us. The room has tea & coffee facilities and a digital TV. It was spacious enough for both of us & our luggage. The showers were fab! Hot & powerful - perfect combination for an autumn day!

This hotels location is in the middle of nowhere so if you are thinking of staying be mindful that if you wish to eat in neighbouring Kirkby Stephen or other villages it will be a ''alcohol free'' evening or look to be ordering a taxi! Whilst it's in the middle of nowhere for the hotel it is in actual fact a perfect spot for those who wish to enjoy the Yorkshire Dales &/or The Lake District. We travelled on for an extra night at Lake Windermere on our final night.

Overall it is a perfect spot for that ''getaway from it all'' feeling. Somewhere for you to unwind & forget about the world, I can completely understand why my Nana & Grandad have fallen in love with this cute, quintessential pub/inn.

This will by no means by our last trip to the Fat Lamb & we look forward to staying again soon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

A lovely stay at the Fat Lamb, food delicious and the staff friendly and welcoming. A nice relaxing visit with very comfortable beds. The scenery in the surrounding area is spectacular in it own way, open and a little bleak with fantastic hills. The use of local products for the menus adds to both the taste and difficulty in making a choice, we were not disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carole_lovett
manchester
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The Fat Lamb is in a great location with fabulous views but it's 5 miles to the nearest town so if you fancy eating somewhere different it's an alcohol free night. The room was comfortable if a little small but it was well appointed and the room and bathroom were clean. Had one night eating out at The Mango Tree Indian restaurant in Kirkby Stephen (well worth the visit) and one bar meal which was so big we didn't finish it all. Breakfast was adequate but, as usual, it was one rasher of bacon, one egg, one sausage, one slice of black pudding, half a tomato and a few mushrooms. Maybe there could be a choice for an extra egg or sausage, especially if you don't like black pudding. I know it seems as if I'm moaning but I'm not, I enjoyed my stay and I would go back. It's a nice B&B in a very nice location and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kazal22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravenstonedale
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa
#3 of 5 in Ravenstonedale
Brownber Hall
Brownber Hall
#1 of 2 in Newbiggin-on-Lune

Been to Fat Lamb Country Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!