“Spellbinding!!!”

57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Spellbinding!!!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

very beautiful area overall in the lap of mother nature.the waterfalls are amazing.a day trip is enough to explore the area.

Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Shanghai, China
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Beautiful, but is that enough?”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The falls and area are beautiful. I came expecting a great day away from the hustle and bustle of cities, but that expectation was foolish. Being a Chinese tourist destination, the crowds are tremendous, pushy, rude, and overwhelming. The falls, walk, and garden area are all beautiful, but that wasn't enough to make it worth my time to visit again.

Visited May 2014
Perth, Australia
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“A little out of the way”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

An exhausting day trip from Anshun to a site with minimal english. This place took a little navigation but at least you could walk behind the falls if you were happy to elbow people and do the Chinese penguin most of the way. I would not want to be visiting at peak time.

Perth, Australia
126 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 172 helpful votes
“A little out of the way”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

After getting here you have to then figure out how the park operates. Minimal english everywhere and you could easily get lost. The one plus for this place was you could walk behind the falls if you were happy to elbow your way through the masses who continuously stop making the small path impossible to walk on at times. This place is disorganised but a good day trip from Anshun if you have the time.

1 Thank Richard P
Chicago, Illinois
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Impressive falls & Bonsai treat”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The HuangGuoShu Falls scenic park consists of 3 attractions: the big falls itself, the smaller DouPoTang cascades; and the TianXinQiao karst area.

First, some tips from my experience: (1) The admission is 180Y, whether you choose to visit just 1 or all 3 places. If you are 60 or older, you can show your ID and get 50% off the admission ticket. (2)The whole place is vast and you need to take the bus (50Y each, no discount for seniors) or hire a taxi to go between the attractions. Travel by bus is easy and dependable; whereas if you hire a taxi, you would need to haggle for price and conditions of ride.(3) There is a large bonsai collection right inside the entrance to the big falls. Don't miss it. (4) Bring some snacks and water with you so that you can replenish your energy at your favorite spot. It is not convenient to find food inside the parks. (4) IF at all possible, plan 2 days to savor the sights. Do not try to rush through with a day trip. A couple hours for each site is just too short, you will end up skipping some spots or getting too tired to enjoy the natural wonders.

Now let me share what I like about each of the 3 attractions:
1. HuangGuoShu falls - this is the "largest fall in Asia". It is not as tall or impressive as the Niagara falls, but is very scenic in its own right. I walked clock-wise from the entrance gate towards the fall. The fall showed its different faces as my viewing perspectives change. The frontal view shows the width, as well as the water that comes tumbling from the top. The views of the fall slightly off-center are more elegant. As I approached the "water screen" cave, I got to watch the fall upclose from its right, listen to the thunderous sound and feel the heavy spray. The water screen cave is a natural cave behind the falls. I entered the cave to enter from its right side and exit on its left side. Although I was somewhat prepared for the spray. I was OK to fend off the water dripping from the ceiling, but was wet all over as it was too hard to resist the temptation to get an intimate view of the fall. It is well worth it. On the day of my visit, the sun came out in the afternoon. I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of rainbows near the bottom of the fall. Awesome. In addition, the big falls areas has a bonus treat offered by the bonsais.
I must say, this park has the most gorgeous bonsais amongst all the bonsai parks I have visited. It takes time to savor the beautiful forms. Even if you are in a hurry to visit the falls, do save some minutes to visit this area.

1. DouPoTang cascades: this is the least known attraction amongst the three, so some guide books simply ignore it. While it may be "small", it is beautiful too. From the entrance way, I walked along the path towards the fall. I could see the distant fall from the crack of trees and heard muted thunder. As I got closer, the cascade gradually showed more of its face, until it was totally in front of me. So wide, so white, so utterly beautiful. I watched in awe, my eyes kept following the water cascading down to the pond. When I watched closely, I could even see the water droplets like strings of pearl gently caressing the smooth rock beneath. I love the video taken here.

3. TianXinQiao: this area has lots of variety like the "birth stones" path; "rock forest", gorges, karst caves, turquois pools hanging bridges and cascading fall. It also requires a lot of walking to see all the 20 scenic spots inside. Due to its vastness, many visitors only get to see the first part and exit; miss the more attractive spots of the second part. The biggest attraction in the first part is the birth stone path. This is a path on water where each day of the year is represented by a stepping stone, some with names of certain famous person born on this date. If you were born on Dec 31, well, you get to walk the entire path to find yours:-) This path can get quite congested on a busy day. While I don't care much about the path, I found the big, dry cactus that grew alongside the ferns on the stone forest interesting. As most tourists exit in the mid-park, more attractions unfold in the 2nd half of the park. The hanging bridge is probably a man-made arch connecting 2 hills over a gorge. You won't feel the scare until you walk past the bridge and then look down the straight cliff! Beyond the bridge is my favorite spot: TianXin Cave. This is a limestone cave that has all kinds of stalatites, stalamites, limestone columns, cones, and "curtains" hanging from the ceiling. It is an impressive sight to behold.

I spent 2 days in the area: on the first day:2 hours at the DuoPoTang & 5-hours in TianXinQiao. The next day, I spent a whole day in HuangGuoShu falls + its bonsai park. I feel the time was well spent. I would not want to squeeze the trip into a single day.

1 Thank amy2k