“5th Stay at the Banning House- Yes!”

Banning House Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Two Harbors B&B and Inns
San Luis Obispo, California
“5th Stay at the Banning House- Yes!”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Fifth stay at the Banning House Lodge- yes! Just returned this month for my fifth stay and it was delightful as ever. Started coming in summer of 2011 with my husband, then fall with a girlfriend, introduced the Banning House & Two Harbors summer of 2012 to my two grown daughters and two ten year old grandsons, returned this summer in Aug. with my girls and grandsons, and in Sept. came back with friends to celebrate a birthday. All of us enjoy the Banning House because it is clean, full of old world charm, great views of the two harbors, nice buffet breakfasts in the 103 year old dining room, delightful rooms, relaxing, and even a buffalo last year out back! The staff, Salvador, the manager and Tyler, the assistant manager, are very friendly, professional and helpful. The housekeepers are very nice and helpful too. Every time I come back, I get misty eyed because it feels like coming home, and every time I leave, I get extra misty eyed! We all can't wait for our next trip to the Banning House, and to enjoy all the water and beach fun at Two Harbors!

Room Tip: They're all nice. We've stayed in many different ones.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandy A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Orcutt, CA
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is the best kept secret of Southern California. I would just as well like to keep it all to myself. Unfortunately I can't afford to be the soul supporter of this fabulous lodging spot. I always want to have it available for my next return. They have a wonderful staff who were very accommodating. It was like stepping back in time and being part of an old time Hollywood set. The views are captivating and the ambiance is charming. Its quite a hike up the hill for the feigned naturalist. It would be a shame to be unable to hike around the magnificent vistas and harbors. No TV or internet distractions. Just lots of fun and EXERCISE!!!

Room Tip: all rooms are excellent
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kituwah
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful two day stay at Banning House in Two Harbors. What an amazing place. The staff was excellent. Sal, Sara and Tyler were our hosts and they couldn't have made us feel more welcome. We will definitely come back to this special place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 30 August 2013

friendly staff, great service, very nice breakfast buffet. The rooms are clean and simple, huge bathrooms amazing views of the harbour. No TV no Wifi no Radio, but a great place to enjoy peace and quiet and disconnect. There is a library with games books etc.

Room Tip: Room 1 and 2 are right next to the front desk and the shuttle stop. If you are going to bed early yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Internationalgotoguy
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 August 2013

When we decided to get married last fall, we chose the Banning House Lodge for our wedding! I had only been there once before but my husband had been there often since childhood, as he and his family are sailors!
We got married mid-week in early March, with just our families present. Although there were staffing changes which sometimes made immediate communication a wee bit difficult, all-in-all, it was gorgeous setting, GREAT staff that really accommodated us, and wonderful and romantic accommodations. We rented the newly renovated Casa as well as several different rooms in the lodge. We got married in the Lodge with the gorgeous Cat Harbour as the backdrop. We even had a rainbow!
Tyler Smith, who performed our ceremony, was absolutely perfect and a real pleasure to work with! We provided him "background material' and he was the perfect "unionizer." What a beautiful and romantic place, and the ceremony was perfection.
Oh, and we "shared" the Banning House Lodge with the "quilting ladies," a wonderful group of women who have been coming there for years---they were just great!
We would not hesitate to recommending the Banning House Lodge at Two Harbors.

Room Tip: The Main House is great! Also the Cliff Rooms and the Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa homes are perfect fo...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Just stayed one night at the Banning House Lodge this August. I was scuba-diving for two days in Two Harbors. The Lodge is charming and very nicely decorated. It has a wonderful view from the hill top and it is an easy little hike to and from the pier, restaurant and grocery store in Two Harbors.
A few reviewers mentioned that they didn't like the service, but I found the service to be great. I accidentally fell off the boat before we departed from MDR and they were willing to let me wash and dry my clothes on the evening I arrived because everything was soaked. They don't serve breakfast until 8AM, but there was a very nice gentleman in the kitchen/dining room by 7AM and he made us coffee and also gave me a little to-go carton of ham/cheese and bread since I had to leave by 7:30AM.
The building is very old (part of it's charm), so you can totally hear your neighbors walking around on the wooden floors in their rooms. There's also no insulation under the door connecting your room to your neighbors either, so you have to hope for quiet neighbors. But Two Harbors is pretty rustic, campground type of environment, so everyone seems to shut down for the night fairly early.
I would definitely stay here again, a perfect place to for a night or two if you want to unwind and be peaceful, or you are for diving, boating or fishing.

Room Tip: There's one room that is upstairs and has a balcony overlooking the harbor. Probably costs more...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Malea
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I run a non-profit group and take a group of teens each year on a trip. This year we went to Two Harbors. We stayed in one of the beautiful homes of Banning Lodge. The house had 4 large beautiful rooms and was decorated in a gorgeous beachy motif. The kitchen had all the essential items that allowed me to cook for our group of 10. We had a beautiful deck with BBQ and a large out door table too. The home was just a few minutes walk to the water front and the little store and restaurant of Two Harbors. It was just a perfect home for our group. All the staff of Banning Lodge were incredibly helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 20 in Avalon
Aurora Hotel
Aurora Hotel
#6 of 20 in Avalon

Been to Banning House Lodge? Share your experiences!