“Peaceful, quiet, lovely spot”

Banning House Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Two Harbors B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I went to Two Harbors for the first time last weekend thanks to Catalina Express's birthday deal. Two Harbors is a lovely place, very quiet at this time of year, just locals and a couple of other tourists.

We stayed in room 1. It was quaint, comfortable, and clean - perfect for our stay! There's ample sitting space around the property to relax, read, and take in the beautiful views. The staff are so friendly - when we arrived, Salvador was waiting at the dock with a van to drive us up to the lodge, and then showed us around the property so we could get our bearings.

The daily breakfast, as well as the access to the fridge and microwave, are wonderful to have. One day we missed the lunch hours at the town's sole restaurant, but were able to purchase food from the general store and heat it in the lodge's microwave, thankfully!

The restaurant menu and watersports equipment rental prices are posted at the lodge, so you don't need to walk all the way down the hill to check the price for a kayak or dinner. But if you do like exercise, you'll get a great workout walking up and down the hill between the town and your room!

Overall I was impressed by the solitude, beauty, and tranquility of the lodge and Two Harbors environment - it was so quiet that we could actually hear birds' wings flapping as they flew overhead - I never realized until this weekend that I'd never heard that sound before in my life. It's nature at its finest, without having to sacrifice all the comforts of home.

Room Tip: Room 1 (and 2) are right near the van stop and kitchen area, so though we weren't bothered by an...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MegMcRam

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed in the crows nest & loved the bedding & views from private balcony. Staff was knowledgeable of eagles & activities in area. We would definitely stay again. Felt very welcomed by Tyler as host. Just beware Buccaneer days very rowdy crowd shooting cannons.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 16 October 2013

After hiking back from parsons landing and not having showered for a few days this was the perfect ending to the perfect weekend on a girls trip. The views were stunning the rooms were so comforting. The employees were sooo nice and drove us up and down to the little village. I would recommend this place to any couples or friends looking for a quiet stay

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jen B
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My wife and I spent our honeymoon here. We loved our escape from all the world's stress. The Banning House staff and facility helped make our honeymoon perfect and better than we could have ever dreamed of. From our amazing view of Cat Harbor to the amazingly refreshing water in the shower to the wonderful views at breakfast to laying at the foot of the bed and seeing the stars each night and all things in between make the Banning House an ideal Great Escape. We kayaked, hiked and snorkeled and loved them all and all areas were recommended by the staff at the Banning House.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank HOPEINAHOOPER
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Fifth stay at the Banning House Lodge- yes! Just returned this month for my fifth stay and it was delightful as ever. Started coming in summer of 2011 with my husband, then fall with a girlfriend, introduced the Banning House & Two Harbors summer of 2012 to my two grown daughters and two ten year old grandsons, returned this summer in Aug. with my girls and grandsons, and in Sept. came back with friends to celebrate a birthday. All of us enjoy the Banning House because it is clean, full of old world charm, great views of the two harbors, nice buffet breakfasts in the 103 year old dining room, delightful rooms, relaxing, and even a buffalo last year out back! The staff, Salvador, the manager and Tyler, the assistant manager, are very friendly, professional and helpful. The housekeepers are very nice and helpful too. Every time I come back, I get misty eyed because it feels like coming home, and every time I leave, I get extra misty eyed! We all can't wait for our next trip to the Banning House, and to enjoy all the water and beach fun at Two Harbors!

Room Tip: They're all nice. We've stayed in many different ones.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandy A
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is the best kept secret of Southern California. I would just as well like to keep it all to myself. Unfortunately I can't afford to be the soul supporter of this fabulous lodging spot. I always want to have it available for my next return. They have a wonderful staff who were very accommodating. It was like stepping back in time and being part of an old time Hollywood set. The views are captivating and the ambiance is charming. Its quite a hike up the hill for the feigned naturalist. It would be a shame to be unable to hike around the magnificent vistas and harbors. No TV or internet distractions. Just lots of fun and EXERCISE!!!

Room Tip: all rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kituwah
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful two day stay at Banning House in Two Harbors. What an amazing place. The staff was excellent. Sal, Sara and Tyler were our hosts and they couldn't have made us feel more welcome. We will definitely come back to this special place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
#15 of 20 in Avalon
Casa Mariquita Hotel
Casa Mariquita Hotel
#16 of 20 in Avalon

Been to Banning House Lodge? Share your experiences!