“One of my favorite places”

Banning House Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Two Harbors B&B and Inns
The Hague, The Netherlands
“One of my favorite places”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed here for the first time five years ago. There was a wedding party, and only one huge room left in one of the side houses. It was cold and windy, and not very clean, but we decided we'd go back one day because we really liked the place in general. This time we stayed in the main house, in a smaller and cozier room. The location of the lodge is spectacular, and Two Harbors is the perfect place for a romantic getaway - no nightlife, no TV, just the sound of seals, maybe the sight of a dolphin or two (not to forget the bison!), beautiful countryside,a handful of interesting people in search of peace and quite, and you and whoever you're spending quality time with. The sunsets and sunrises are absolutely gorgeous and you can even watch from inside the lodge when it's nippy. The lodge seemed cleaner this time around and the furniture, well it's still very used and should be replaced at some stage, but replacing it would take away a lot of the place's charm. I'll certainly keep going back.

Room Tip: The main house is a good good choice if there's only two of you - the side houses have bigger ro...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diane M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I've been coming to the Banning House Lodge each February with a group of quilters since 1999 and have seen the ups and downs of the lodge. The current management, Sal and Tyler are absolutly wonderful and have the lodge running the best I've seen! They cheerfully dote on our group during our stay, which I know isn't an easy job (there are anywhere from 20-30 quilters on the retreat). The rooms are clean and comfortable, with updated furniture and bedding. There are 2 refrigerators and a microwave available to guests. Coffee (really good coffee!) is available all day. A continental breakfast is served every morning, with low carb options. The view from the lodge is the best feature. You are on a hill and look both to the west, toward Cat Harbor, and to the east, looking at the poor, unfortunate soles on the mainland.
The Banning Lodge is one of my favorite escapes.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sue P
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I went to Two Harbors for the first time last weekend thanks to Catalina Express's birthday deal. Two Harbors is a lovely place, very quiet at this time of year, just locals and a couple of other tourists.

We stayed in room 1. It was quaint, comfortable, and clean - perfect for our stay! There's ample sitting space around the property to relax, read, and take in the beautiful views. The staff are so friendly - when we arrived, Salvador was waiting at the dock with a van to drive us up to the lodge, and then showed us around the property so we could get our bearings.

The daily breakfast, as well as the access to the fridge and microwave, are wonderful to have. One day we missed the lunch hours at the town's sole restaurant, but were able to purchase food from the general store and heat it in the lodge's microwave, thankfully!

The restaurant menu and watersports equipment rental prices are posted at the lodge, so you don't need to walk all the way down the hill to check the price for a kayak or dinner. But if you do like exercise, you'll get a great workout walking up and down the hill between the town and your room!

Overall I was impressed by the solitude, beauty, and tranquility of the lodge and Two Harbors environment - it was so quiet that we could actually hear birds' wings flapping as they flew overhead - I never realized until this weekend that I'd never heard that sound before in my life. It's nature at its finest, without having to sacrifice all the comforts of home.

Room Tip: Room 1 (and 2) are right near the van stop and kitchen area, so though we weren't bothered by an...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MegMcRam
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed in the crows nest & loved the bedding & views from private balcony. Staff was knowledgeable of eagles & activities in area. We would definitely stay again. Felt very welcomed by Tyler as host. Just beware Buccaneer days very rowdy crowd shooting cannons.

• Stayed October 2013
Claremont, California
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

After hiking back from parsons landing and not having showered for a few days this was the perfect ending to the perfect weekend on a girls trip. The views were stunning the rooms were so comforting. The employees were sooo nice and drove us up and down to the little village. I would recommend this place to any couples or friends looking for a quiet stay

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jen B
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My wife and I spent our honeymoon here. We loved our escape from all the world's stress. The Banning House staff and facility helped make our honeymoon perfect and better than we could have ever dreamed of. From our amazing view of Cat Harbor to the amazingly refreshing water in the shower to the wonderful views at breakfast to laying at the foot of the bed and seeing the stars each night and all things in between make the Banning House an ideal Great Escape. We kayaked, hiked and snorkeled and loved them all and all areas were recommended by the staff at the Banning House.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank HOPEINAHOOPER
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Fifth stay at the Banning House Lodge- yes! Just returned this month for my fifth stay and it was delightful as ever. Started coming in summer of 2011 with my husband, then fall with a girlfriend, introduced the Banning House & Two Harbors summer of 2012 to my two grown daughters and two ten year old grandsons, returned this summer in Aug. with my girls and grandsons, and in Sept. came back with friends to celebrate a birthday. All of us enjoy the Banning House because it is clean, full of old world charm, great views of the two harbors, nice buffet breakfasts in the 103 year old dining room, delightful rooms, relaxing, and even a buffalo last year out back! The staff, Salvador, the manager and Tyler, the assistant manager, are very friendly, professional and helpful. The housekeepers are very nice and helpful too. Every time I come back, I get misty eyed because it feels like coming home, and every time I leave, I get extra misty eyed! We all can't wait for our next trip to the Banning House, and to enjoy all the water and beach fun at Two Harbors!

Room Tip: They're all nice. We've stayed in many different ones.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 20 in Avalon
Aurora Hotel
Aurora Hotel
#6 of 20 in Avalon

Been to Banning House Lodge? Share your experiences!