“Good lodge experience, probably a tad on the pricey side though”

Altitude 1260 Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Crackenback B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Good lodge experience, probably a tad on the pricey side though”
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

I was hesitant to book due to past reviews on the manager being and I qoute 'unbearable' however given I recently stayed at Altitute I did not experience anything negative or annoyance staying there. Michelle was helpful and the staff were on par to good service. I hardly saw a peep out of the staff, as we left in the morning and returned later at night.
We were asked if we were staying for dinner, and told the staff no as we wanted to check out Jindabyne. The manager gave us suggestions instead. Which was great!
Rooms are comfy, bathroom basic. Views are fantastic and just beautiful!
Short drive away from perisher.
I would probably not return during the ski season as it it pricey! Perhaps I will try this place during the summer.

• Stayed August 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The varied reviews on the website do reflect some basic truths. This is a beautiful place...crackling fires, comfortable couches, a nice little bar, a good family scene in the evenings post-ski. On the other hand, the breakfast is slightly below average with eggs cooked at 6:30 and served (cold) out of heating pans 90 minutes later. Two-day old wonder bread. The windows are dirty which makes the views less attractive. The service is Australian--friendly enough and if you ask for something extra you get it but only after some non-verbal communication telling you that they are kind of put out. The rooms are very simple--like a youth hostel. But for $500 bucks a night!!! But, everything is expensive around Jindy in August. Overall, relative to the alternatives, we would return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank vbinCBR
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This was our second stay at Altitude 1260 and once again we enjoyed the relaxed, family atmosphere. We stayed 3 nights and the food each night was fabulous. On the third night was when the manager and her staff went above and beyond for us. My daughter had a ski accident in the day and was on crutches. The staff organised ice packs, special table sitting arrangements and genuine concern for her comfort. This is a great place to stay and great to see kids enjoying ping pong, the pool table and meeting friends their own age. Thank you to Michelle and her very caring staff. We will definitely be back !!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Cannot fault this beautiful resort. My partner and I initially booked our stay for two nights. Upon arrival we were overwhelmed with the unique location and warmth of the atmosphere. Our room was made up beautifully and all staff were very welcoming and made us feel right at home. This is the exact environment I was looking for after a day on the slopes. We spent both nights in front of the fire before being seated for dinner. Both meals were beyond satisfying. I highly recommend the Salmon and the Scotch Fillet. On the morning of our last day we knew we did not want to leave. Michelle was amazing in accomodating us for another night at such short notice during such a busy period and we didn't even have to change rooms! Extremely sad our stay came to an end today and can't wait to get back. Many thanks to Michelle and staff.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Allie8719
mooloolaba
Reviewed 10 July 2013

my family and I stayed at altitude 1260 for three nights just to have a little break . i was delighted by the staff and how welcomeing michelle the manager was. After reading previous comment I have to say im apalled that some people could write such horrid things about such a warm hearted welcoming person. The lodge was so secure and beautiful it is also immequlate. my kids felt at home playin with the other kids staying there, gave me time to relax after a long day skiing. I will definately return and hope all viewers dont get put off by some of the previous comments as im sure they have been written by miserable people.

Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This was our 2nd visit to Altitude 1260. Our first visit was in summer January 2013 and we thoroughly enjoyed the peaceful surroundings and beautiful views. Having breakfast on the deck overlooking the rolling hills of Jindabyne is not to be missed. We were so impressed that we decided to stay here for our ski trip. After a warm welcome by the Manager we settled into our clean and cosy family suite. The kids went straight to the ping pong table & tv room to meet some of the other kids. This gave my husband and I a chance to have a quiet drink at the bar before dinner. As we experienced before the staff here are very friendly and they went out of their way to ensure we were comfortable. Dinner was again delicious with a good variety of dishes for both the children and adults. The chef does a wonderful job and his desserts are superb! After dinner the kids went back to the games room and my husband and I relaxed in the enormous lounge area with an open fire place. There are plenty of big comfy lounges with soft cushions to sink into after a day of skiing. This is like a home away from home. Thanks to Michelle and her team for making this another memorable stay. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrews255060
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

After reading through the reviews I can relate to so many. I'm sure after I write my review the manager will poke holes through it to try and justify how her accommodation is actually the best thing in the world and all issues and problems are actually lies that I have created for some reason to make her accomdation seem worse than it is. But here it is for your benefit only... My stay at altitude 1260 was worse than pathetic, everything related back to a money grab. I as well as others that have written reviews here, left my wet, dirty towels on the bathroom floor for it to be replaced with clean fresh ones only to find the same wet dirty towels hung back on the rails for me to use again. It does state on a a sign in the bathroom that they are water conscious and if we want new towels to leave the old ones on the ground and they will be replaced. I guess this isn't the case. Being water conscious is no excuse for that. And if the manager tries to say "if they would have asked for one, I would have provided it" that's a cop out, because once your standing naked, cold and dirty in the bathroom getting in the shower, your not going to get dressed into your dirty clothes again for you to walk out to ask for the clean towel your entitled to. The fire is only lit at night time, more than likely to cut down costs. Even though it is only about 6 degrees at maximum during the day. I also had the heater in my room turned off. I think that if I'm paying a stupidly over priced amount of money to stay somewhere I am entitled to come back to a warm room, especially considering I left it on for that reason exactly. The hot water tap in the shower leaked so when you went to turn it off, it would burn you. The cold water tap leaked as well. Your room is supposed to be made up every day. It was if you can call it that. The bed was made to no standard. And only one bin was emptied. No new shampoos or hand towels were given. And after the first night we went without a bath mat. The bed is sooo uncomfortable. You would think that the amount you pay to stay the night they would make the beds some what comfortable. The breakfast was small and nothing to be proud of. We had French toast one morning, and I didn't want bacon. So I was given one single piece of toast, hardly a breakfast. The icing on the cake, if you book a night you have to pay for it whether you stay or not. I have a feeling that this is in place because they have nothing to offer you, so they make you stay by forcing you to pay. It is stated in the booking conditions, but things change and people need the option to not be made to pay such a rediculous amount of money if they need to change their arangements. My suggestion is to avoid people being dissapointed by your establishment, take on board the critisim, instead of getting a customer once, try and get return business and if this means not making it obvious that you are trying to cut corners and save money where ever possible, do so. You may save 50 cents by not washing towels or serving tiny breakfasts but you will never ever get me as a customer again. And if I can turn anyone away staying here I will. And to the manager, you are over bearing and you make the stay very uncomfortable and you are impossible to approach about any issues. Even people at our ski hire store told us to be prepared for you. Take it on board. All these people cannot be wrong. Whatever the managers response is to this will be a bunch of lies stating how we were the ones that were wrong and they have a great establishment. Stay if you wish. But I highly recommend you don't. You will only be disappointed. This may seem a little long winded, but believe me, I didn't even get to everything that was wrong with this place.

• Stayed July 2013
9 Thank 1234mrsr
altitude1260, Manager at Altitude 1260 Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Altitude 1260 maintains a high focus on environmental awareness and energy efficiency. With guests on the hill enjoying their skiing or boarding the fires are not lit until the afternoon – in time for everyone’s return. The fact that heaters and fires are not run continually day and night is not as much about cost as it is about considering our resources and being environmentally aware.

All beds are to a commercial standard and were purchased only 12 months ago when the accommodation wing was refurbished.

Towels are replaced whenever they are left on the floor for cleaning staff and both bins were emptied in this room each day – there was a high volume of waste to be cleared. As rooms are cleaned in the morning and towels are only changed once each day I suspect that this may have contributed to the impression that towels had not been changed, when in fact they had.

During this stay we were able to accommodate a last minute request for a dinner booking, offer to make calls to arrange horse riding and upon the request for an early departure date asked if there had been any issues for them. All requests were met and dialogue opened regarding their early departure with no negative feedback at the time.

Our pricing is competitive in the area and in line with peak season rates throughout the snowy mountains. It is unfortunate that this couple has had such an emotional reaction when they were not granted a refund on their prepaid accommodation.

Altitude 1260 enjoys welcoming back return customers regularly and is proud of the environment created for our lodge guests.

The Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crackenback
Lake Jindabyne Hotel
Lake Crackenback Resort & Spa
Pender Lea Chalets
Pender Lea Chalets
#1 of 5 in Crackenback

Been to Altitude 1260 Resort? Share your experiences!