“Business with pleasure” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Peacock at Rowsley

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rowsley
The Peacock at Rowsley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rowsley
Baslow, United Kingdom
“Business with pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

The Peacock Hotel is the epitome of understated English style and from the moment you walk through the main entrance you know you have arrived in a true oasis of calm.

I was only at the hotel for a meeting with a prospective new client, so my review doesn't cover their rooms or food, but it was the perfect place to talk shop over coffee and perfectly baked shortbread biscuits. The coffee pot held at least 4 generous cups of coffee and just about lasted the hour-long meeting. As for the price, at £4.50 per person I thought that the price was good value for money, especially considering where you are and that you're served at your table.

The service was unfalteringly professional but never stuffy. I have never understood why staff at high-end hotels and restaurants are sometime more 'sniffy' than any of their guests; remember who is paying the wages.

Add in free WiFi and you have a place that you could happliy work from all day -- or at least think about work as you survey the opulent surroundings, whilst you plan your next visit.

• Stayed September 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

Gorgeous 350-yr old building built at the time when Cromwell was Lord Protector. Smallish windows but just the right atmosphere inside. Hunting rifles on the wall and a book of anglers' catches as you walk in. Absolutely wonderful way to while away a wet winters day or late summertime evening.

Staff were courteous and falling over one another to help. Be it giving advice on local attractions or carrying bags. There is a selection of DVDs to be loaned out, and the rooms are well-equipped with all the necessary mod-cons. The rooms are spartan and well-maintained.

Dinner was good and imaginative. Breakfast was adequate. Trendy fruit juices and bread. But a cooked breakfast is extra.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We are just back from a one-night break at The Peacock after years of intending to visit.
I'm 7 months pregnant and this was a quick chance to get away for our 7 year wedding anniversary without our daughter. We were both exhausted and in need of a night off.
The Peacock is just lovely - set in a charming Peak village and treading a clever line respecting its age yet balancing modern styling. We had booked the Sunday night deal (bar dinner, bed and breakfast for £200) and I felt this was great value for such a cosy, relaxing place.
We were led to room 17, right at the top of the building and up a tricky staircase, especially with my centre of gravity being quite off, but I managed and the room was charming, cosy and quiet even though it overlooked the road. (The secondary glazing did a great job.) My husband managed to break a tap whilst shaving yet the staff arrived immediately to fix it and even offered to move us to what we were told was their best room. However, we elected to stay in room 17 because my husband fell in love with the spa shower. When I tried it out later, I was pretty glad we stayed put! (although I never got to see the room we were offered - the hotel did offer to give us a look, but we were very happy in our cosy, comfy room.)
The bar is fantastically quaint with books and stone walks, the restaurant sleek and the lounge small yet inviting. Every member of staff we met with was extremely friendly - nothing was too much trouble and any glitches (like the tap and some forgotten tea) were rectified immediately with charm and grace. The hotel even have us an anniversary card!
I was only sad we stayed for one and not two nights: the bed was incredibly comfortable and I left so relaxed I just wanted to spend the day asleep in my room there!
Thank you, we will definitely be back x

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
1 Thank KerryFox
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Had not visited the Peacock for some years, this was due to the first manager (after the estate took back this hotel) being so bad mannered and unhelpful, just over my request about the head waiter Terry who the new manageress obviously had not got on with and seemed to think I needed the same treatment.

As I say 49 years, the Managers, Waiters , Sommeliers, helped me in learning the art of dining and about cheese, wine, service with their knowledge and discrete advise, the Peacock was special

On our visit after about 10 years away we had Sunday lunch it was Ordinary I am sorry to say. The meat was good but I could have read the paper through it and a Gravy so thin?. the Peacock now is trading on the last 50 years reputation.

Lunch was about the same price 10 years ago but you had a Lunch then, also you had to book even on the worst day to get in, If I say not much point in £100+ for a btl of wine if you don't have someone who understands wine to serve it, they need a head waiter all the time during service.

Yes it is just pleasant now but it has lost its atmosphere, its special dining, its flowers and I am sorry to say I will not be booking room 5 after this visit a great pity.

Room Tip: Room 5 was always my wifes choice
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank rowland1
Denbigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights on their Summer package which includes bed and breakfast (not hot dishes), one dinner in the bar, one in the restaurant and tickets for entrance to Chatsworth and Haddon Hall.
We lived in the Peak District for many years and have eaten at the hotel before but never stayed there until now.
I must admit to being a little worried about our choice after reading some poor reviews lately but in our case the staff were very friendly and helpful and all the meals were delicious. The food took quite a long time to arrive for our bar meal but we were in no hurry.
We stayed in room 12 which was towards the back of the hotel and facing the garden. I am a light sleeper but had two good night's sleep with the windows open and no need for ear plugs. The room was pretty and showed no signs of wear as others have experienced.
The bathroom was very small but everything worked and there were two shelves for your toiletries.
We were joined by friends for our dinner in the restaurant. We all commented that some of the combinations of food seemed a bit strange. For example, crayfish and belly pork. The food we chose however was excellent and I enjoyed probably the best and most tasty vegetarian meal I have ever eaten which was a vegetable tart with a side dish of tomatoes and courgettes.
One of our guests had previously enjoyed the selection of mini desserts which was not one of the menu choices on this occasion but when we asked the waitress if it could be done the chef kindly agreed and this made our friends evening.
The breakfast buffet was a bit limited with the hot dishes all available at a supplement. As others have said we thought this a bit unnecessary.
We enjoyed our trip this time as tourists to the Peak District and the tickets for Chatsworth and Haddon we thought was a great idea.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

First time at the Peacock and we were celebrating a birthday. Lovely old building, tastefully decorated.

Peter our host was excellent, he was knowledgeable and attentive to our every need. Very impressive young man that knows his stuff. In fact all of the staff at the peacock were excellent too.

It was pricy but in the same way good value! Everyone in our party enjoyed everything they were served.

For us, it is more of a special occasion place than an every weekend. However we will return soon to try the lunch and Sunday lunch. Basically I couldn't fault a single thing! We had a cracking night.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Retford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Very old Hotel in the Derbyshire countryside.Ideal for visiting Chatsworth House,Bakewell and Matlock areas.Peak Railway - steam train - within short car ride
Stayed for 4 days with grandchildren aged 6 & 10.
The Hotel found us a suite where the children could be put up in a bed settee at short notice.
The staff went out of their way to assist as we had been let down with prearranged accommodation at the last moment.
Good sized suite with large bathroom area.Very quiet and peaceful at night.
Decent size breakfast room which backs onto large rear private garden and river where you can sit out on pleasant days.
Breakfast is of cereals,Toast etc.Hot breakfast is at extra charge.
Rates quite expensive to say hot breakfast not included
All staff friendly & helpful.
We felt however that the hotel was not for children,catering more for couples and the single mature traveller.
Good position for touring in the area

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite which was very comfortable. The hotel is only 2 stories in height
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank John H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowsley
Bagshaw Hall
#2 of 2 in Baslow
The Maynard
The Maynard
#1 of 1 in Grindleford

Been to The Peacock at Rowsley? Share your experiences!