“Luxurious, restful base for touring the Peak District”

East Lodge Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rowsley
Rochester, Minnesota
“Luxurious, restful base for touring the Peak District”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

After a hectic, wonderful day touring Chatsworth and Hardwick Hall, I drove up the tree-lined drive to the lovely East Lodge in the small town of Rowsley. It is a charming country house converted into an upscale small hotel with ten acres of landscaping and lawn surrounded by sheep farms. Very peaceful and quiet. Paved parking to one side of the lodge.

Check in was pleasant and easy, the young staff very professional and gracious. I stayed in Room 304, a superior double, a lovely room on the second floor, overlooking the entry and across the parking area to the rolling pastures beyond. A comfortable four-poster bed with beautiful linens, a chandelier, expensive draperies and fabrics gave a comfortable elegance to the room. The carpet looked new. There is a small but adequate en suite with tub (see photos). No a/c in this room (some other rooms do have it), but I opened a window just a bit and was quite comfortable.

Before dinner I walked the property with its beautifully landscaped grounds, pool, two fountains, and gardens. There is an additional little "secret' garden area across the lawn at the back of the property where I sat for a few peaceful moments and watched a farmer herding his sheep into their pen on a distant hillside. Only in wonderful England, I thought!

My dinner of scallops and filet in the lodge's restaurant was excellent, the wine good, and the décor classic and tasteful. There were probably four other couples dining also. Breakfast was in the same room: buffet for fruit, delicious eggs benedict ordered from the menu.

The lodge is impeccably clean, quiet, with an upscale clientele. I was traveling alone, and felt very pampered and safe. My bill was 215 GBP for one night, dinner, breakfast, and wine.

The next morning, I got out my handy GPS and drove to Kenilworth and Warwick Castles with no problems as I traveled south making my way to London eventually. I stayed at several lovely hotels on this two week trip, but East Lodge was one of my two favorites (the other was Doxford Hall in Northumberland). I hope to return to Derbyshire and East Lodge one day.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We made a very last minute half-term decision to visit the peak district with 3yr old and 18mth old in tow. The hotel is located minutes from Chatsworth House and a great launchpad to the many wonderful activities in the peak district.

The hotel suggested the dinner, bed, breakfast which we highly recommend. Furthermore, they arranged a private dining room so that the kids could run around in peace (and also avoid bothering the other guests). We enjoyed our first night so much that we extended our stay.

The staff were beyond helpful; offered great suggestions for places to visit, helped entertain the kids, incredibly flexible with our needs and generally excellent ambassadors for Peak District hospitality.

We would definitely return

Room Tip: Executive rooms have a second double bed in the form of a sofa bed.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Inkeyinc
Matlock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

I got married at a East Lodge on Sunday 6th October 2013. The venue, setting, surroundings, staff, food,need I go on, we're truly wonderful. I could not have asked for more from anyone. My wedding day was perfect and the biggest contributing factor in making it perfect was East Lodge. I would highly recommend as a wedding venue, if a civil ceremony is what you are looking for. Excellent value for money, I had the silver package, with nothing skimped on, even the breakfast was amazing, right down to how the tables were laid in the morning. I simply cannot find a single fault with a East Lodge and nor do I want to.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Marystone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

After a few delicious afternoon teas at this beautiful hotel, I'm always very happy with the service from the staff they are always very warm and welcoming and can't do enough for you. Wherever sat in the comfy conservatory or outside in the beautiful gardens both are the perfect setting to enjoy the fabulous food.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ragdolls35
Peak District
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Could find no faults with this place, the food was excellent, service with a smile, clean accommodation and our wedding party thoroughly enjoyed it all. Wonderful gardens for the wedding photos and the whole place to ourselves meant that everything was controllable, even the weather behaved.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank the.kes
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Other than being woken at 4 30 am by someone stocking up the bar (next door to our room) it was a really lovely stay and somewhere we would recommend. Our room was lovely other than the rude awakening, the hotel and it's grounds were second to none and the chef is to be commended, the food was delicious, the breakfast menu was extensive and all guests we spoke to had nothing but praise. We did have a problem with the tv sorted immediately by the staff and nothing was too much trouble. The staff were friendly, professional and just excellent. A big thank you to all at the hotel.

Room Tip: We were in room 15 a lovely ground floor room disabled friendly, comfy beds, large sitting area, tw...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kath C
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Just returned from an overnight stay at East Lodge. Whist I've had Sunday lunch there before, it's the first time I've stayed and it won't be the last! Room 14 was very comfortable with great views across the rolling fields. Bathroom was enormous!! Dinner on Saturday night was great, plenty of choice, very tasty and with great service. Indeed, the service from the staff was top notch from the moment we arrived until the moment we checked out.

Breakfast on Sunday morning again was superb.

Great location, nice gardens, great staff and we will be back.

Thank You!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spinner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowsley
Bagshaw Hall
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hathersage
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell

Been to East Lodge Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!