“Thoroughly enjoy our winter break!”

East Lodge Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rowsley
London, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly enjoy our winter break!”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at East Lodge in January 2014 and I was instantly impressed by how lovely the staff were! Throughout the weekend every member of the team could not do enough to ensure we had a good stay, they even kept the kitchen open slightly later when we had got in from a day out and not eaten. Thank you so much!
The hotel and garden itself was beautiful. A real romantic getaway that is both quiet, but near enough to the surrounding villages of the Lake District via a short drive, that there was plenty for us to do. The village of Bakewell was especially lovely and full of cute little coffee shops which (surprise surprise!) sell the BEST bakewell tarts ever! It is small, but I would definitely recommend a stroll around.
In the hotel, the resturant was pricey but absolutely worth it. The food was beautiful and again the service was 5*. I think the only criticism that I can think of is that the floor boards in our room were very very noisy as we walked around - however the rest of the room, was perfect so this is just knit-picking!

Room Tip: Hint: Even in the winter I recommend visiting Chatsworth House which is right near East Lodge. You c...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ZoeDonnaFrost

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My partner treated me to a night here for my 30th birthday. It was a surprise and what a good one it was. I was so pleased when we drove up the long driveway and I saw how beautiful the area and hotel looked. We arrived early but the staff were more than happy to accommodate us and show us to our room. All staff were very friendly and made us feel welcome. The hotel had a lovely atmosphere and the grounds/garden stunning...I can see why it is a good wedding venue. We stayed in a four poster bed room and wow! Awaiting me was some roses which my partner had requested the hotel arrange for me and he said they were very helpful about doing that for me. They brought champagne to the room also. The room was spacious, very clean and had lots of little extras such as the use of robes, bottled water in room, sky tv, a tv in the bathroom (a novelty really), and free wifi.
We dined in the restaurant and the food was lovely and again staff very friendly. Breakfast was also fantastic and very filling to set you up for the day. The hotel was very accommodating when we requested a late check out.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone...couples, families and business travellers. There are some beautiful areas nearby like Bakewell, Matlock and Chatsworth and some lovely walks. Also if you are looking for a wedding venue this hotel is well worth a look. All I need to do now is talk my partner into proposing and we would definatly look at this hotel!! Hehe :-)
A wonderful experience, 5 stars from me :-)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stefanie B
Matlock Derbyshire
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We visited East Lodge for Sunday Lunch just before Christmas ( 22.12.13). As always we were very warmly greeted by the same staff we have met for many years. The professionalism and experience of the staff is very obvious, we had drinks in the conservatory reception area which is very relaxing and gives you plenty of time to study the menu. Choosing the desired courses is always difficult as they are all cooked from locally sourced produce and imaginative and so very tasty. The Hotel is always beautifully presented and very clean which we appreciate. We look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We travelled to Bakewell and spent a few delightful hours shopping, leaving whilst it was still light in order to find East Lodge. Our greeting was warm and friendly and that set the bar for our two night stay. Our room was spacious and well appointed as was the bathroom, no complaints at all. We had booked into the restaurant that night, the food was excellent, seasonal and beautifully presented. After an excellent breakfast the following morning we booked into the restaurant that night as well and were not disappointed. A very comfortable hotel whose young staff are excellently trained. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for an executive room, we had room five overlooking the car park and grounds but very spacious.
2 Thank Jane B
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at East Lodge on Monday night (not for the first time) and would just like to say that the welcome was warm as always, the room beautiful and the food delicious. We wandered around on Tuesday morning and the grounds were lovely with delightful views in the distance. The view was certainly helped by the liberal smattering of frost against a perfectly blue sky. Thank you to everybody concerned for making a memorable stay - we hope to return shortly.

1 Thank John O
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Great stay with excellent service, lots of little extra touches which really do make the hotel stand out from others. Food and wine were delicious, the room spacious and comfortable. Only slight issue, which may well have been my own fault, was professionally, graciously and generously resolved.

Highly recommended and will certainly return. Many thanks.

Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 November 2013

After a hectic, wonderful day touring Chatsworth and Hardwick Hall, I drove up the tree-lined drive to the lovely East Lodge in the small town of Rowsley. It is a charming country house converted into an upscale small hotel with ten acres of landscaping and lawn surrounded by sheep farms. Very peaceful and quiet. Paved parking to one side of the lodge.

Check in was pleasant and easy, the young staff very professional and gracious. I stayed in Room 304, a superior double, a lovely room on the second floor, overlooking the entry and across the parking area to the rolling pastures beyond. A comfortable four-poster bed with beautiful linens, a chandelier, expensive draperies and fabrics gave a comfortable elegance to the room. The carpet looked new. There is a small but adequate en suite with tub (see photos). No a/c in this room (some other rooms do have it), but I opened a window just a bit and was quite comfortable.

Before dinner I walked the property with its beautifully landscaped grounds, pool, two fountains, and gardens. There is an additional little "secret' garden area across the lawn at the back of the property where I sat for a few peaceful moments and watched a farmer herding his sheep into their pen on a distant hillside. Only in wonderful England, I thought!

My dinner of scallops and filet in the lodge's restaurant was excellent, the wine good, and the décor classic and tasteful. There were probably four other couples dining also. Breakfast was in the same room: buffet for fruit, delicious eggs benedict ordered from the menu.

The lodge is impeccably clean, quiet, with an upscale clientele. I was traveling alone, and felt very pampered and safe. My bill was 215 GBP for one night, dinner, breakfast, and wine.

The next morning, I got out my handy GPS and drove to Kenilworth and Warwick Castles with no problems as I traveled south making my way to London eventually. I stayed at several lovely hotels on this two week trip, but East Lodge was one of my two favorites (the other was Doxford Hall in Northumberland). I hope to return to Derbyshire and East Lodge one day.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowsley
Bagshaw Hall
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath

Been to East Lodge Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!