“poor food in restaurant”

East Lodge Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rowsley
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We booked the restaurant Sat lunch 22nd Feb for four people.The hotel itself is beautiful and in a lovely position,the staff and service perfect.However the quality and quantity of our food was poor.Maybe we ordered wrong my sister and I had the salmon with new potatoes, at £15 one would expect more than two new potatoes mashed with their skin on(looked terrible I need to add) a very minute piece of salmon(fishfinger size)and three tiny leaves of kale.We could of eaten anywhere that day so why we chose East Lodge I have no idea.I just felt the need to put pen to paper and no we do not frequent food for the masses type of establishments but we do like quality.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank basil98
There are newer reviews for East Lodge Country House Hotel

Reviewed 12 February 2014

My daughter and son in law booked the restaurant for her 30th birthday and paid a deposit. We have eaten here before, had my daughter’s wedding celebrations here and have always been pleased. Due to there being 11 people in the booking we were asked to pre select from their menu. We received a receipt for the booking but no menu as promised; although they had totally misspelt my daughter’s name that was not a concern at this stage. When my daughter rang and spoke to the manager she received a very short response that “She” had been sent the menus as “she” had sent them herself! My daughter was very surprised and upset to be spoken to in such a way, her husband did call and give his feedback that they did not feel that they wanted to now have their celebration there and asked for a refund a full 17 days before the event. The duty manager apologised and agreed to return our deposit and tried to make amends but the original poor attention to detail and haughty manor totally poisoned our view of this hotel, I thought they prided themselves on their customer service. Time may heal but there are other places that probably want our business more.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Glyn P
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This was just a stop over for us on business, but we do like good food and this has 2 AA Rosettes so this is why we booked it - that and some good reviews.

The staff are really welcoming and attentive, the room was clean and the bed was comfy!

Parking was easy and safe.

We had room 5 that overlooked the car park but it was fine for us as it was only a one night stay, it has a sofa as well as a lovely large bed, I had asked for fresh milk and that had been put in the room ready which I thought was a nice touch.

Dinner, if I am honest was not that great to be fair, my steak was over cooked and my Husband had the Pigeon which was rather tough.

We would stay here again as we had a very good offer on the DB&B.

Good for business stop over.

Room Tip: Room 5 has a large bed and a sofa. The view is over the car park.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BonnBouche
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Excellent location in the middle of the Peak District, on the outskirts of Chatsworth estate. Service was exceptional and the food to die for. Wide choice of menu, make your choices whilst sitting in the conservatory with your pre dinner drinks. Great rooms but unfortunately the hotel is Soooo popular for weddings it can be difficult to get in, but well worth booking in advance.

1  Thank Heather H
Reviewed 17 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at East Lodge in January 2014 and I was instantly impressed by how lovely the staff were! Throughout the weekend every member of the team could not do enough to ensure we had a good stay, they even kept the kitchen open slightly later when we had got in from a day out and not eaten. Thank you so much!
The hotel and garden itself was beautiful. A real romantic getaway that is both quiet, but near enough to the surrounding villages of the Lake District via a short drive, that there was plenty for us to do. The village of Bakewell was especially lovely and full of cute little coffee shops which (surprise surprise!) sell the BEST bakewell tarts ever! It is small, but I would definitely recommend a stroll around.
In the hotel, the resturant was pricey but absolutely worth it. The food was beautiful and again the service was 5*. I think the only criticism that I can think of is that the floor boards in our room were very very noisy as we walked around - however the rest of the room, was perfect so this is just knit-picking!

Room Tip: Hint: Even in the winter I recommend visiting Chatsworth House which is right near East Lodge. You c...
1  Thank ZoeDonnaFrost
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My partner treated me to a night here for my 30th birthday. It was a surprise and what a good one it was. I was so pleased when we drove up the long driveway and I saw how beautiful the area and hotel looked. We arrived early but the staff were more than happy to accommodate us and show us to our room. All staff were very friendly and made us feel welcome. The hotel had a lovely atmosphere and the grounds/garden stunning...I can see why it is a good wedding venue. We stayed in a four poster bed room and wow! Awaiting me was some roses which my partner had requested the hotel arrange for me and he said they were very helpful about doing that for me. They brought champagne to the room also. The room was spacious, very clean and had lots of little extras such as the use of robes, bottled water in room, sky tv, a tv in the bathroom (a novelty really), and free wifi.
We dined in the restaurant and the food was lovely and again staff very friendly. Breakfast was also fantastic and very filling to set you up for the day. The hotel was very accommodating when we requested a late check out.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone...couples, families and business travellers. There are some beautiful areas nearby like Bakewell, Matlock and Chatsworth and some lovely walks. Also if you are looking for a wedding venue this hotel is well worth a look. All I need to do now is talk my partner into proposing and we would definatly look at this hotel!! Hehe :-)
A wonderful experience, 5 stars from me :-)

2  Thank Stefanie B
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We visited East Lodge for Sunday Lunch just before Christmas ( 22.12.13). As always we were very warmly greeted by the same staff we have met for many years. The professionalism and experience of the staff is very obvious, we had drinks in the conservatory reception area which is very relaxing and gives you plenty of time to study the menu. Choosing the desired courses is always difficult as they are all cooked from locally sourced produce and imaginative and so very tasty. The Hotel is always beautifully presented and very clean which we appreciate. We look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowsley
Bagshaw Hall
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel

Been to East Lodge Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!