“Aussie Fawlty Towers”

Elsinor Motor Lodge
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The Elsinore is one of the worst places we have ever stayed, considering the $200 pn charge. Everything other reviewers have said was right. The water pressure is appalling, resulting in a very long wait for any, even luke-warm, dribbling water.
The Executive Spa Suite is way out the back with a view one way into a small area with a high brick wall and the other way towards the laundry. Right outside the window next to the bed, is a table and chairs for the other guests to smoke and make loud phone calls. It was as if you were sharing a room with the smoke and the talk!
The room is old and shabby with a hideous pink bathroom. The air conditioner is unbelievably noisy, but has to be used as opening the door results in loud traffic noises. We didn't hear the noisy fridge over the air conditioner! The wardrobe looked as if it was a leftover locker from BHP, plonked in the middle of the room.
We, also, experienced the phone that falls off the wall on arrival. The door was opened by a very shabby fellow. On leaving, we could not find anyone. This does make it hard to talk about the problems of the place in person (as management has requested on other TA reviews).
I would drive anywhere rather than stay again at this dreadful place.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on the Executive Spa Suite
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wanderer039
ElsyDapto, Manager at Elsinor Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Guest,
I apologise that you had a terrible time when you stayed here. The phone does NOT fall off the wall, the handset will fall off if you do not put it on properly. We are working managers so as the sign says at reception "if the door is locked pick up phone and wait till someone answers" the air-conditioner is new and is NOT noisy. You could have complained to us about the other noisy guests and I could have done something about it. I will post photos of the room so people can see for themselves.If you want 5 star motels then book into one but do not expect 5 star when you are only paying for 3

Reviewed 25 December 2013

We stayed here in early December. The service was friendly and the owner was very nice. We were dying for a cup of tea but when we got to our room, found the kettle didn't work. It was a nice easy swap for a working one. We wanted to watch the a-league game since they have foxtel, that wasn't a bother at all for them. They switched one of the other foxtel sports channel for the one we wanted. The pool was lovely and warm and the kids and I enjoyed a nice swim. There was even a spa which was really warm (read - hot), perfect for when you want that. The room itself was functional enough, although the decor was a little from the 70's which didn;t bother us. We would stay here again if going down South again soon.

Room Tip: We got room 14, opposite the the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This motor lodge is a VERY pricey motor lodge for the services and the rooms that offers. In my opinion, the overprizing of they rooms and services is at least 75%.

The room where we stayed had an outdated ambiance: it comprised a queen double bed, a huge non-functional wardrobe; there was no sink in the bathroom and only in the room; the fridge was possibly a sibling of the old wardrobe and it was noisy and providing us with clicking and shrieking noises all night [I was lucky to have earplugs with me]; the overall darkness of the room was intended to be corrected by artificial lighting all around; the overall impression was were very much of outdated curtains and furniture, dark carpets with unknown ‘content’ … and I felt that I was visiting my old grand-aunty back in the fifties, and the latter impression made my stay, kinda ok.

The managers of the motor in tried to compensate' the lack of renovation friendliness, new outlook or fresh feeling with some pillow arrangements on the bed and good quality shampoo and soap.

Clean sheets and bathroom were plus, but these fail to outweigh the overall grim impression of the overall environment of the rooms and the extremely overpriced room and …no service.

There were no services such as:
- Wifi;
- DVD and books/newspapers.

There was no food discount in the restaurant – the restaurant food in the associated restaurant was also proportionally overpriced.

There was lack of any combination with other services such as breakfast or free newspaper to sweeten the dark rooms and grim impressions of the motel.

It is a mystery to me why would Elsinor motor lodge customers would return there, unless they DO NOT have much choice, or they don't care about their money, standards or they do no have anywhere else to go.

Room Tip: You may to try calling before you book and ask for a room that is faraway from the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Poppy M
ElsyDapto, Manager at Elsinor Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Dear Poppy,
I would to like to apologise for your negative experiance when staying with us.
Firstly wifi is available. I do not believe that we are overpriced,Our meals are large portions and seeing you did eat dine in the restaurant you would not have known that, also our prices are fair and a lot cheaper than other restaurants( we are not a pub)We also do breakfast starting at $3.00.
Rooms are serviced daily if you stay more than one night so I am not sure what you talking about the service. We work hard to make sure our guests are well looked after, as far as the furnishings go that is up to the owner but the room you were in is one of our oldest, the fridge is yet to be replaced in that room, most of the other rooms have newer fridges. I would really love guests that are not happy with their stay to tell us face to face and give us a chance to make it a happier stay

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Definitely not worth the $295 per night for the so called Bridal Room.Very outdated hot water took 1/2 an hour to come through in the shower.Price of room included flowers,chocolates & champagne.You would expect for the cost you would receive a boxed flower arrangement a nice box of chocolates & a decent bottle of champagne.Not the case at this motel.Instead a bunch of flowers in a vase some roses chocolates placed around the base of the vase & a bottle of non alcoholic Spumante .Was told after complaining that all they could offer was a free nights accommodation and a bottle of wine . No chance of any refund as the normal cost of that room is $200 per night as it has a spa in it.NOT IMPRESSED !!! The flowers wine and chocolates not worth the extra $95 charged.Would not recommend this motel

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dorothy C
ElsyDapto, Manager at Elsinor Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

I would just like to state that you did NOT stay in the room,you booked it for someone else.
You also went into the room after the flowers and chocolates and wine was put in the room and if you were not happy you could have complained at the time. Instead you rang me a week later.
I thought an offer of a free nights accomodation and a bottle of wine was fair.
The room is a lovely room that has a kitchette, a large spa bath etc and a courtyard
It is not fair to write a nasty review when you did not stay here at all.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My wife and I stayed for 1 night recently.The motel is showing it"s age but it"s ok if you just want a bed for the night.The room we had was not flash but it was comfortable.I gave this motel a very good rating based on the helpful staff.After attending a function and returning around midnight the manager arranged access to our room.(only 1 key was available).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holtipsfrombagz
Reviewed 14 August 2013

After reading the reviews on this motel I was not sure if I should book to stay here or go else where as the reviews were mixed.. So I must say I was rethinking as we were driving down... Upon arriving we were greeted by a very nice, happy, friendly gentleman who was more than happy to ensure we had a comfortable stay.. We stayed in the QS spa suite and it was very very clean and comfortable.. I must also say the room temperature was nice and warm, no electric blankets on bed (wasnt listed that there was ) but we didn't need them anyway as it was warm in the room.. Bes was very comfy!! Bathroom really clean, pool lovely!! The man from reception even delivered our dinner to us in our room Now if that's not good service what is... The only minor thing I found was the shower had extremely low pressure, a but hard to wash shampoo out... Other than that great value for money, staff were very friendy.. Definitely bring the family back again!! Go there and see for yourself!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Bed was clean & comfortable, but no electric blankets as advertised and nights were very cold. Internet was non existent and no assistance given to provide same. Did not use spa as not confident of the level to which it would have been cleaned after previous guests. Ample towels provided daily. Carpet with large stains. Covering on couch ripped. Room decor very dated. Small freezer section of fridge was totally ice bound and milk froze on first night. Traffic noise high from nearby freeway. Overall a very average stay in a room charged at very high price. Would not recommend.

Room Tip: Avoid this motel if internet connection is important to you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dapto
Sovereign Inn Wollongong
#15 of 15 in Wollongong
Harp Deluxe Hotel Wollongong
Harp Deluxe Hotel Wollongong
#6 of 11 in Wollongong

Been to Elsinor Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!