“Peace and quiet, great ambience, good food and service, superb location, and no kids!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel

Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holme Lacy
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

Stayed four nights end of August, booked an "Historic" room and chose the "a la carte" restaurant. Very nice room, excellent food and superb service. Located in beautiful grounds, ideally situated in the middle of Herefordshire - all local must see's within 30 minutes drive. Enterainment each evening and many activities available every day including Shooting & Archery. Recommend this hotel to any over 40's.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank howard_poskitt
SergioRodrigues, Manager at Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to gives us feedback on your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enoyed every aspect of your holiday including our gorgeous gardens and getting up and out there exploring the local beautiful area.

Come back and visit us soon.
Holme Lacy Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

Went to the hotel for the Bank Holiday weekend, with some sense of fear and trepidation. I had loved the Warners idea of adults only but my first experience at one of their other establishments had not gone very well and I was unsure what I would think to this hotel.

We had upgraded to a historic room and the room was very large with comfortable chairs and very comfy beds, we also had a massive bathroom with both a large walk in shower and bath. There is a lift to our area of the hotel but due to the nature of the building we then had to go down some stairs to actually get to our room and so if you have mobility issues you would need to check this out. You would also need to check on what sort of view you had, we had and were excpecting a partial view of the grounds but some of the Historic rooms on the 3rd floor had views of the turrets and balstrades on the roof and so you might be disappointed.

We chose to eat in the Courtyard for 2 nights as it seemed brighter and we were able to get a reasonable table, although in all honesty I still feel that the tables are too cramped together and I don't like having to eat so early. As we were in an Historic room we had an upgrade to The Orchard restaurant for one night and breakfast and this was fantastic, with excellent service and really far more my sort of thing. Although there is nothing wrong with the food in the other restaurant.

The entertainment is not really improtant to my husband and I, although we did quite enjoy the comedian on the Friday night. The resident band were ok but the entertainment team were not that good, there tribute to Abba was torture to any real Abba fan. I think that due to our age, being somewhat younger than the majority present, we have different priorities. Most people seemed to be there for the entertainment, whereas my prioroity would be leisurely eating!!

The grounds were lovely and we were able to go out in them on both days. My husband used the gym one day and the pool on two days and I had a luxury pedicure and massage which was excellent.

We had paid quite a lot for this weekend and we were both questioning whether it actually gave us value for money. As we quite liked this hotel, we decided that we would try visiting a couple of other Warner hotels next year and so booked whilst at Holme Lacy. That is definitely the way to do it as we got two weekend breaks for the cost of this one.

Room Tip: Take care re views on higher floors in old house
3 Thank yellowhippo
chelmsford essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

having stayed at many warners hotels in the past and found them to be very good I cannot fault the accomondation and facilities the food is mostly help your self carvery , I now find them pricing themselfs far beyond the daily cost of going on a cruise ,you can go on a short cruise for less than the price they quote for a three/four day break

Room Tip: look at short cruise cost its cheaper per day than staying at a warners hotel they need to look at t...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank brianChelmsfordEssex
SergioRodrigues, Manager at Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to gives us feedback from your recent visit to Holme Lacy house Hotel. I am happy to hear that as a returning guest that you enjoyed our product and services. In regards to pricing, Warner Leisure Hotels have done several offers throughout the years including up to 50% discounts on brochure prices and launched the Concierge Club where new and existing guests once a member get terrific benefits including holiday discounts, free cancelation plan, free room allocation, special events for members only and 10% discounts on all products purchased on any of the 13 Warner properties just to name a few.

Borehamwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

A few weeks ago we stayed at Holme Lacey House which is a large historic estate house leased by Warner Holidays.

We had stayed there before and had loved it's ambience and relaxing atmosphere and friendly staff who were always eagre to help make our stay a pleasurable one.

The complex has a lovely smallish lake in its grounds so I managed to fit a light float rod and reel plus a few bits and pieces into the boot. I couldn’t take much as the car was full of holiday baggage. Unfortunately I wouldn’t get much time to fish anyway. but the little fishing I partaked in was superb with quality Roach and the odd Carp being landed (see photos attached).

The room we stayed in was a Signature Room with a Patio which was between the shop and the ballroom and was very comfortable and well furnished.

The food was fine and the entertainment which included the tribute band '' and a comedian later in the week was superb.

The in-house entertainment team were also superb and a nice touch was when they stood by the entrance welcoming everyone as they entered the dance hall, it's little trivial things like that that can make a difference sometimes.

There were different activities going on all through the day with quizzes, sports activities (Archery, shooting, golf putting, fishing etc.), walks and talks, Ghost walks, swimming, Historic walk rounds etc. so if you wanted things to do or you just wanted to relax and wander through the wonderful gardens you were well catered for,

We will be going back again you can be sure of that. Another brilliant holiday.

Room Tip: The Signature rooms with a patio between the shop and the ballroom are excellent.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keith M
Thank you for your kind review on your recent stay with us. It makes very happy to hear that you had a wonderful holiday with us and even managed to catch some fish from our beautiful lake.
We hope to see you back with us soon.

Saundersfoot
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Brilliant....Lush...Wonderful....Amazing......!..These are just a few of the superlatives that our friends used over the week-end..!!!!...OK.... Warners "were"directed at a specific age group.....many still think it's for "the oldies"....but the "younger set" are creeeeeeping in....now ....that's creepy...!!! I saw what I consider to be "children" this time around.......but........they were kind of "older" children!! They were with parents who were probably in their 50's........if this becomes a "regular" occurence it might change the state of affairs....maybe sad......but.....it's the way of things in this present climate I suppose..!!! I booked a return trip for my birthday in March next year and managed to get our friends to join us again.....We just love it....all the staff ...from chamber maids to management.....are obviously well trained to be courteous considerate and respectful of "the older generation" none of them shy away....they keep their heads up and they show an interest and are polite and attentive....their attitude seems to be that "nothing is beyond the realms of possibility"...so they don't make you feel old.......they make you feel "special"...! I've had my working life......if I was to have it again.....I would like it to work in such a wonderful environment...!!!!! (I actually thought about applying for a job....I'm 66+++)

Room Tip: We like the new extension end wing beyond the Pavilion overlooking the rear car parking area and pre...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jimboSaundersfoot
Thnak you very much for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your short holiday break with us. we are looking forward to welcome you back on March for your birthday celebration.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

I could go on all day about how bad this hotel is.Terrible A la Carte restaurant - the chefs can't even poach an egg. Noisy bedrooms - the windows won't open and shut and sleep is a non event. Poor entertainment, inexperienced (cheap) staff - all in all, terrible.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank PaulD590
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

We have previously stayed at Nidd Hall and Thoresby in this group of hotels - and enjoyed them both - we would give them 5 stars. My partner had also stayed at Holme Lacy some years ago, and was very much looking forward to staying there again - he had told me how good the house was inside, with large rooms to relax in and just read a book. Sadly, we were very disappointed.
Let me start with the good things - the grounds, gardens and exterior are excellent - the best gardens in any so far - congratulations! The staff were also generally very pleasant and helpful (with one notable exception) and would always smile and greet you if you walked past. Having someone to greet you as you drive up to the building is good too - although the chronic shortage of disabled spaces is a problem (it needs some spaces behind the Pavilion for those staying at that end of the building).
After that though, it was mainly downhill. Reception was chaotic. There were only 4 other couples trying to check-in when we arrived. There was no obvious queuing system, people were just standing around wondering where to go. There were 2 or 3 desks arranged at an angle - I guess like an American 'Meet and Greet' but no obvious sign as to if they were open. Staff were wandering around and took no notice of you. There was a room beyond reception with yet more desks - but was this also check-in - or just administrative offices? We stood behind another couple standing near one of the desks - no one behind the desk though. After some time a receptionist came back and completed what was obviously a check-in part-way through. When finished with them, she never looked at us, but took our papers with the booking reference. After some time, she got up and disappeared to another desk (no explanation as to why - but watching the other desk, the same seemed to happen there). She returned and gave us our room key and wished us 'have a good stay' in what I can only describe as the same degree of enthusiasm and sincerity you would expect from an American supermarket check-out girl. We had to ask about dining and were just directed to go 'round the corner'. Reception badly needs someone to greet you and direct you and some general management. It felt more like a business conference check-in.
We were assigned a dining table in the Courtyard, and fortunately were in the area under the skylight, so at least it was well lit by daylight. The dining area in the room you enter through was positively gloomy though. However, the rows of tables were far too close together - we were in the middle of a row, and struggled to get past other diners to get to/from the seats. We don't mind being close to the next table - we enjoy meeting and talking to people, but you do need room to get in and out. There were large mirrors on the rear wall of the Courtyard, presumably to make it look bigger. Unfortunately, the net effect was to double the perceived number of diners and make it look (my partner's comment) more like a cafe. On the first evening, the room was unpleasantly hot; I noticed they had fans in place for the other evenings.
Following other comments on here, we had a look at the Bremner restaurant. The main room looked fine, but the seating in 'the corridor' looked like an afterthought. I would have hated being seated here - it was dark and gloomy and just felt like the corridor it once was (see below).
The Orchard room (fine dining) which we looked in was again rather oppressive and gloomy. Goodness knows what it would be like in winter. Our dining neighbours did comment that they had found it very difficult to see the food in that restaurant.
I should comment that our waiter in the Courtyard was excellent (Mateusz?). Friendly and attentive and quick service.
As to the meals; my feeling is that they are not as good as they have been elsewhere (but maybe they have gone downhill too). The evening meals now seems to push you towards the carvery - there is little choice beyond this. Starters were rather bland. The overall impression I came away with was that instead of the evening meal being to be enjoyed, it was something to be got over with as quickly as possible.
Although my partner quite enjoyed breakfast, I ended up having just orange juice after the first day. The cereal table had very limited choice - and the muesli was sickeningly sweet. The bowls of fruit looked to be straight out of a tin. Breakfast was OK I guess if you like a fry-up, but not if you want a reasonably healthy breakfast.
The Terrace Bar service was slow - and the room itself had all the charm and character of a station buffet vintage 1970. Such a shame, because the ceiling was one of the wonderful plasterwork ceilings of the major rooms.
Our Standard bedroom was OK - large and comfortable bed, spotlessly clean and well serviced each day while we were having breakfast. But please provide some more lighting! The only way you could see what was in the wardrobe at night was to open the bathroom door and use the bathroom light. Even more importantly, there is totally inadequate lighting to allow you to read in an evening, unless you were in bed and held the book under the bedside light.

I have left our most serious criticism to last however. Since my partner last visited, the whole atmosphere of the historic house has been spoilt by making what was once the impressive corridor off reception a part of the Bremner restaurant. This now means that the main thoroughfare from the front of the house and reception to the bedrooms and other areas is through the old State Rooms - such as the lovely Blue Room. This has destroyed the feel and character of these rooms. The seating is now limited to either side the corridor which has been created through them. Furthermore, they are no longer places to relax in - they are just busy thoroughfares. In fact, there are now no suitable areas inside the house to just sit, relax and read - apart from your bedroom. I do wonder as well, how long the lovely floor in the Blue Room will survive all the foot-fall. For all the atmosphere that is now left, we both felt we might as well have stayed in a Holiday Inn. We did ask our neigbours in the restaurant - some of whom have been regular visitors to Holme Lacy and other properties in the group - and they shared our views.

Overall then, very sad and disappointing. We will possibly return to Nidd, but not to Holme lacy. We will also now be very cautious about recommending Warner to anyone else.

8 Thank RogerWarrington
#1 of 1 in Much Birch
Wilton Court Hotel
Wilton Court Hotel
#1 of 14 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel? Share your experiences!