“Great house band”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holme Lacy
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Great house band”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

My wife and I are leisure club members and thoroughly enjoyed the polished, professional performance of the house band in their early evening set, 6th March, 2014. Clova fronted the group and sung and danced her way delightfully through the set with a strong engagement with both dancers and the rest of the audience. The band served up a variety of rhythms for the quickstep, waltz, salsa and barn dances, etc. and played a number of requests, including Ella Fitzgerald's, "Every time we say goodbye", with an infectious jazz rhythm. Great work, the House Band!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra E
Holme W, Guest Relations Manager at Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Thank you very much for your comments regarding our Resident Band here at Holme Lacy House.

Clova, along with the band, are exceptional and she has a lovely voice.

I hope that you continue to enjoy your evenings spent with us here.

Kind regards,

Rachael Fitton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
Bucks
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

We have been going to Warners hotels for about 10 years staying in the Historic rooms as a speacial treat to celebrate anniversaries and birthdays, this was our first time at Holme Lacy and will be our last.
When we arrived at reception we were given a "pack" with our room and table number written on the back this also included a map. When we stayed at Cricket St.Thomas we were given a glass of champagne taken to our room and a porter carried our luggage, Holme Lacy reminded me of booking in at Butlins when my son was young.
We stayed in room 210 which is a lovely room with a geat view over the lake, My wife noticed that there were no bathrobes in the room which is standard in Historic rooms, and that was my first call to reception, then I noticed that there was no coffee for the coffee machine when housekeeping returned following another call to reception she gave me a couple of coffee's rather than the tray I was expecting.
When we went for a walk around the grounds I asked the receptionist if they provided breakfast in the room and she said yes and it would cost £5 which I was happy to pay, she told me to consult my room pack and order in the restaurant, there was no room pack and when I asked her later she then said that they had been removed as they were out of date, I had to ask two waitress's about ordering breakfast in my room niether of which had any idea what to do, finally the restaurant manager took my order. I had asked for the breakfast to be brought to our room at 09:00 at 09:15 I phoned reception to ask if we were going to get it, there was no apology just "I will phone the restaurant" When the breakfast finally arrived at 09;30 it was cold and there where no side plates, butter, marmalade and no apology.
Luckily I asked the swimming pool attendant when we were looking around if there were towels at the spa and he said they were in the room, with the absence of room packs I'm sure that many people have to return to their rooms to get them, I found ours in the wardrobe.

We were given table 80 in the Bremner restaurant, every other time we have been able to choose our table I soon found out why this was not the case at Holme Lacy, the tables are about 3 inches apart from other dinners, not exactly what I had in mind to celebrate our anniversary. The restuarant manager did find us a table for four although it was next to the salad bar. We decided to pay the extra £36 to dine in the Orchard restaurant something that was always a free alternative in the past when staying in a Historic room.

We were woken at 7:30 on the last morning by people talking outside our window then for the next hour we had to listen to cars being driven along the gravel path, the people talking were the staff parking the cars of vistors I assume using the meeting rooms.
So it ended as it started, badly and me wondering why after some lovely breaks at Warners it had ended with us probably never going to one again.

Room Tip: Room 210 lovely view, its above the patio area so don't stay there in the summer unless you are...
14 Thank G S
Cornwall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

Holme Lacy House Hotel is a beautiful stately home, this was our second visit. The Food was good, and the staff in the restaurant are lovely, very helpful and attentive, I would say the lady who is behind the counter on breakfast service should try to smile and say good morning once in a while, she always looked so miserable. The Entertainment Staff are good, and a special mention to Allison, what a lovely friendly lady, and so full of enthusiasm. The entertainment in the evening was not really for us, four or five couples would be there every night and the music played was really geared for ballroom dancing, it was lovely when they eventually (an hour or so later) played something a bit more modern, and then the floor was full, the Entertainment Team shows were professional which we both enjoyed, although they were very similar to the shows we had seen the year before.

The only downside for us was the Room, we were in Room 229 which is a Signature Room, the room is large and we had a nice view, but the first thing I noticed immediately were the windows, the woodwork was covered in mould green and black, and when I opened the windows to let in some fresh air I immediately noticed the inside of the woodwork was green and black and full of live flies who were "living there" YUK, I have never seen so much mould, I did report it, but in the end I rolled my sleeves up and removed most of it on the inside of the windows myself, I do know mould spores are not the healthiest of things to have in your room. I did take a photo of the window. One of the lights did not work, the toilet roll holder was lose on the wall as was the toilet seat. We did report all this to the Receptionist, and she never even said sorry or remarked about my complaints, just wrote it on a notepad and that was it!! not a very professional way to deal with a complaint. But this was really the only thing that let it down for us. We met some lovely people whilst we were at Holme Lacy and enjoyed their company.

Room Tip: Room 229 had a nice view across the grounds, it was just a shame about the window frames being so di...
3 Thank blonde1505
Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

We spent the weekend 7th/10th February (Las Vegas) break and were totally satisfied with most aspects of our stay. The entertainment was first class on all 3 nights. Service was excellent. Food was also very good. We were phoned twice during the week before our stay to ask if we were ok with the lift access not being available to historic rooms due to maintenance issues.
The decor is very tired and particularly needs attention to the ceiling. There is paint flaking off in many areas and many very large cobwebs that need to be got rid of. The cleaners could also learn how to use a duster more often.
Grounds were very well maintained (despite the floods).

Room Tip: We chose one of the Historic rooms as it was our 40th anniversary but most rooms had more than adequ...
1 Thank paul_williams_52
Hello,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in February. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable break at Holme Lacy House; your kind comments and praise for the entertainment, service and food will be passed on. I will also pass your comments on to our Housekeeping and Maintenance Teams regarding the cobwebs and paint as this is not our usual standard.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Dudley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

Ideal Hotel with beautiful grounds, set away from the hustle and bustle of normal life, where you can take part in activities organised daily, or just chill out doing your own thing without peer pressure . If you fancy a stroll down to the very quiet village, there's a few houses, old church, school and a pub, other than the exercise it's about 1 hour's walk there and back.
The Holme Lacy House itself is steeped in history from the 14ct.,the rooms , restaurant and staff cannot be faulted, the food in my case as a Coeliac, therefore Gluten Free, had other guests clambering in disbelief as the range of starters, main and dessert I had to select from, which I chose at breakfast so chef could have prepared for my evening meal, first class.
The sports facilities, swimming pool and evening entertainment were also excellent .
There's no local bus service so we had our coach take us to Gloucester one day and Hereford the next, weather was wet, but so what, we were on holiday, therefore you take whatever nature throws at you, making the most of it.
This was our second visit to Holme Lacy, we weren't impressed when we first visited 2 yrs ago, obviously changes for the better have been made, a thoroughly relaxing enjoyed holiday .

Room Tip: Front 2nd floor - # 307 ,2 tele's, garden and village view slightly obscured by balustrade, de...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fermentingtom
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

It’s great to read that you had such a wonderful time with us at Holme Lacy House despite the weather not being so good!

It’s also lovely to read that you were well looked after by the chef and appreciated the sports facilities, swimming pool and evening entertainment that we have.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future,

Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Just returned from a weekend in Holme Lacey with 3 friends, we all booked 3 single rooms myself as a treat a historic which i was assured had lift access, my other 2 friends had single rooms, on arrival, I was told the lift in the old house was out of order, and that the only lift working was the sevice with access via the restaurant and kitchains, this must have been against all health and safety rules! This lift only went as far as the secound floor, as my room was in the attic on floor I was still left with a steep staircase to climb. I suk ffer from a heart condition so I requested a change of rooms but was told this was not possible.
The first night we went to see a first class show but I left with a walk back to my room via a dark restaurant and kitchain, the following morning I asked to the duty manager to see if he could sort something out but no one contacted me, so I spent the the next two evenings in my room watching TV.
Someome from Holmelacy should learn some customer service skills.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the old house.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank valmerthyr
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. We have wrote to you regarding your stay with us. If you do wish to discuss the matter any further then you are more than welcome to contact myself on 01432 870870.

Kind regards,

Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have just returned from a very enjoyable 4 night mid week break at Holme Lacy House Hotel, an elegant stately home in Herefordshire. The Hotel is part of the Warners Group. The food was excellent and served in the wonderful Bremner Scott Restaurant in all its splendour.
The room was spacious and had everything that we needed.It was very clean. There were many activities to do throughout the day and entertainment every night. We used the Leisure centre every day.Even though the weather was poor we enjoyed the break very much.

As a couple in the 40-45 year old age bracket we did find that most of the other guests were probably much older.

Room Tip: We went for a "Signature Room". The rooms are bigger than standard rooms with a King size...
2 Thank David A
Holme W, Guest Relations Manager at Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor following your break at Holme Lacy House and I was pleased that you had such a excellent time.

It was lovely to read that you enjoyed the daytime and evening activities and entertainment that we have to offer, the food and standard and cleanliness of the room.

Once again I thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holme Lacy
The Pilgrim Hotel
The Pilgrim Hotel
#1 of 1 in Much Birch
Premier Inn Hereford Hotel

Been to Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel? Share your experiences!