“Tea for two” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holme Lacy
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Tea for two”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My wife and I had received a Christmas gift for a Tea for Two with Warner Leisure Hotels. Our friends had already stayed at the Holme Lacy Hotel and they all said it was a wonderful experience so we decided to go there. Every member of staff, without exception were so pleasant, friendly and went out of their way to be of assistance to us. The hotel itself is very imposing, with lovely peaceful grounds with a lake to walk around. An eighteen hole putting green is available for residents to use.
When we sat down for our Tea for Two a very happy and pleasant lady brought us a tea pot and informed us that we could have refills as and when required. She then brought us our tea which was mouth watering to the eye and simply delicious to the taste. She told us that when we were ready she would then bring us strawberries and cream. We could not eat everything as it was too much so we requested a doggie bag to take home what was left. The meal was truly excellent. as we walked back to our car we spent some time and money in the hotel shop. The lady who served us they was so helpful and friendly.
We spent about three hours at the hotel and we wouldn't have missed it for anything.
A beautiful afternoon.

1 Thank Keith H
Holme W, Guest Relations Manager at Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your great feedback. We have a great team here at Holme Lacy so I am so pleased to read that you found everybody pleasant and helpful during your afternoon tea for two experience. I’m so pleased that you enjoyed the food and I have passed on your great feedback to our kitchen and bar team. We hope you will be back to visit us again soon!

Yasmin Priday

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have recently returned from a top notch warners break. Totally recomend this hotel,only bad point was the lack of air conditioning as it has been extremely hot and sticky. Food was fantastic, thank you scottish dave for your help. The grounds were beautiful to walk around and enjoyed a trip into Hereford cathedral to see mappa mundi. well worth a visit.Hope to be back again soon.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi there and thank you for your great review. I’m really pleased to read that you had a great stay with us and I have passed on your special mention to Dave the chef. Our grounds team work very hard so it’s fantastic that you had a nice walk around our gardens. I’m sorry to read that the lack of air conditioning had a negative impact on your stay – I have passed this feedback on to our management team for review. We hope to see you again at Holme Lacy in the near future.

Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just finished a weekend here and it was fab fab fab
This was a trip with my adult daughter and we found the beds in our standard room very comfy and the room spotless.
The food was very good and plentiful and our waitress Lydia in the Courtyard Bistro was a delight,
The entertainment was fab and the band Edward Starr amazing , danced my feet off! I was even given a CD which was passed on by another guest Janet.
The Spa was fab abd Becky gave me a wonderful back massage. We were a bit close to the music area though asked for a quiet room but were moved when requested with no quibbles at all
The only 3 things I would like to see improved are
* more slalad dressings please
* improved WI FI boost please . This will be an increased demand for this as the clientele will become more IT Savvy
*Air conditioning or fans in the rooms.
We will be back asap but would like to know how to access the suites online?

Room Tip: Ask to be placed as far from the Pavillion as possible.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Gail_DaveWales
Hello and thank you so much for your great review. I am so pleased to read that you had an enjoyable holiday with us and it’s great to see that you were pleased with all aspects of your break such as the room, food and the entertainment. I have passed on your kind comment to Becky. In regards to the Wi-Fi you will be pleased to hear that we should have Wi-Fi in all of the guest rooms by the end of the year. There shouldn’t be a problem accessing the suites online but should you wish to make a booking for one of our suites please feel free to call us direct (01432 870870) as all of our Holiday Sales team know the rooms really well and we also have pictures of the rooms which we can send you. We hope to welcome you back to Holme Lacy again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just returned from a Monday to Friday break at this hotel & have to say it was extremely good.So much to do that my friend & I decided not to go on the two coach excursions that had been arranged by our party.The food was absolutely exquisite & a special mention for the two no.2 chefs 'Scottish Dave' & 'Lee' who gave us a very informative lesson on how to cook omelettes-even jam ones!There are beautiful grounds to walk round and a lovely terrace looking down over a carp lake where it was very nice to be able to sit & have a quiet drink or listen to live music.The room was very comfortable(could do with some new softer pillows though).A lovely heated,indoor swimming pool-not too big, where you can have a quiet swim or get involved in the aqua fun at 5pm each evening.The weather was more than kind to us during our stay so each evening was nice to sit outside until the entertainment started at around 9.30pm.It might be an idea to choose your stay depending on what entertainment is planned because some acts command a younger audience than others.Ours wasn't a themed entertainment week like Michael Jackson or Status Quo for instance so the holiday makers were older than us but it didn't mar our stay.The meal times are a bit regimented-you have to book a slot for the duration of your stay and only between 6 & 7.30pm.Breakfast was 8-9.30am although in some of the literature it reads 8-10.As a result of this we arrived for breakfast the first morning at 9.30 to find that it was all being packed away,however,the restaurant staff were extremely understanding & cooked fresh eggs for the two of us & put us at ease.A very laid back atmosphere & a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We were on the top(2nd)floor-no noise at all.The lift did break down while we were there though so i...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello there and thank you so much for your fantastic review. I am so pleased to read that you had an extremely good stay with us at Holme Lacy. I have passed on your special mentions to Lee and Dave. It’s great to read that you managed to make the most of our beautiful gardens in the lovely weather and I am really pleased that you made the most of the facilities and activities that we have to offer. We hope we will see you again at Holme Lacy in the future!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have just returned from this hotel with my mother and it was a very good weekend break overall. The hotel was ornate and had picturesque grounds to walk around.

Rooms: Our standard room was spacious and had firm yet comfortable beds. On our first night our room was close to the Pavilion (evening entertainment venue), meaning we could hear the loud music so my mother asked to move rooms the following day where the evening music was less audible. Both rooms had Freeview TV, an iron and ironing board and plenty of storage. Two minor criticisms I have about the rooms are no Wi-Fi and no air conditioning and the sleep quality was rather average.

Food: My mother and I dined at the Courtyard Bistro Restaurant, which had a contemporary look, a lively and relaxed ambience, good music that wasn't intrusive and good lighting. The staff were friendly, particularly Lydia, and the food was edible on the whole. I liked my meal of haricot bean and vegetable soup, pea and mushroom risotto and profiterole gateau on my first night as well as the salad bar but I was disappointed at the limited range of salad dressings. My second night meal, which consisted of Mediterranean vegetable terrine, pulled pork Charlotte and a trio of chocolate desserts was also good if a couple of the chocolate desserts were a bit bland. While there was a better selection of vegetables on my second night, the peas and sweetcorn were overcooked. On my final night the menu had an Around the World in 80 Days theme, which included dishes from all over the world. I had chicken goujons with Caesar salad; roast turkey (which was succulent if pink in places) with roast potatoes, carrots, meatloaf, sherry and mushroom cream, cranberry sauce, horseradish sauce and gravy; and meringue with cream and forest fruit coulis. Breakfast was pretty much the same every morning but still good despite the fizzy peaches on my first morning. There were cracked glasses on my second morning and dirty plates on my departure day. On the Sunday my mother and I had afternoon tea with strawberries and cream. It was a good tea with great cakes, scones and sandwiches but the mustard in the ham sandwiches was hot and the strawberries tasted a bit sharp.

Activities and entertainment: My favourite activities were swimming, Aqua aerobics, the coach trip to Hereford followed by a free cream tea, getting a manicure and a pedicure and the welcome evening show on my first night. The coach drivers acted like your guides and gave us commentary on Hereford and it's surrounding area and Megan, the beauty therapist who painted my nails, was bubbly and full of good advice such as telling me to bring my flip flops when I next have a pedicure.

Other feedback: I have already mentioned Lydia's friendly attitude in the Courtyard Bistro and Megan's bubbly and advisable nature but I wasn't happy with the attitude of one of the maids. I gave my mother my card key because she left hers in our room and when I went to look for her I couldn't find her so I waited by sitting on a couch in the corridor. A maid approached me and laughed when she saw me but she still let me in my room. When she knocked on the door to give me my sunglasses I dropped, she laughed again. I wasn't amused and I found her rather childish.

Overall: In spite of the noise of the music on the first night, the minor restaurant hiccups and the maid's childish attitude, I enjoyed my stay and I would happily return again in the future. 4/5.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, choose one on the first or second floor closer to the main hotel entrance or at...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stompgal
Hello there and thank you very much for your review. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your dining experience in the Courtyard Bistro. I have passed on your special mentions to Lydia and Megan. I have also passed on your feedback about the range of salad dressings to our Executive Chef for review and monitoring. I’m glad that you made the most of the facilities and activities that we have to offer. I have also passed on your feedback about the housekeeper to our head of Housekeeping. I’m very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us overall and I hope that we may welcome you back to Holme Lacy one day in the future!

Yasmin
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We have recently returned from a four night break at this very good Warners hotel.The only reason we have downgraded our review from excellent is the lack of air-conditioning in the rooms.This July has been very hot and a good nights sleep was impossible.That's the only negative.The entertainment was of a professional standard,especially the resident group and girl singer.The food and service in the restaurant was excellent,the staff friendly and helpful,the room clean and,apart from the heat,comfortable.The bar prices were reasonable and the grounds in perfect condition for us old walkers.This is the Third Warners hotel we have visited and is generally of the standard we have come to expect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Derek L
Holme W, Guest Relations Manager at Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Hello there and thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to read that the hot temperatures in your room caused you discomfort and I have passed on your feedback about the air conditioning to our management team for review. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed the entertainment. We have a hardworking team so I’m glad to see that you found everyone friendly and helpful. It’s great to read that you made the most of our gardens in the lovely weather as well! I hope you will come back to visit us at Holme Lacy again soon.

Gainsborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Beautiful setting, good room as a signature let down by the quality of the food. Entertainment very good , Angie was very good with our room. The quality of food was worse than Nidd Hall and Sinah Warren and we felt let down.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Keith R
Hello and thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the entertainment and your signature room. I have passed on your special mention to Angie. I am very sorry and concerned that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us. Please feel free to contact me on 01432 870870 to discuss this matter further so that I can give our executive chef some feedback to be reviewed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holme Lacy
#1 of 14 in Ross-on-Wye
The Pilgrim Hotel
The Pilgrim Hotel
#1 of 1 in Much Birch

Been to Warner Holme Lacy House Hotel? Share your experiences!