“A country retreat which you want to share with friends.”
Review of Brockington Hall

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Brockington Hall
Ranked #3 of 3 Bodenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We organised a number of rooms for us and friends to stay for the night as we were attending a function in Hereford and local hotels could not accommodate us all. After booking, a few of the our party became very concerned about reviews they had read but on arrival, we realised we had made the right choice.
Drawing up to the long gravel drive, seeing the beautiful gardens and the impressive frontage to the building we were very satisfied and entrance into the building pleased us further. Keys were left and the rooms of this beautiful and spacious house were labelled with our guests names and with a bit of juggling, everyone were delighted with their en-suite rooms. We also realised that luckily there were no other guests staying so we had the whole house to ourselves.
The communal accommodation was perfect, sitting rooms, games room, fully equipped kitchen, conservatory with sitting and eating areas and as it was nice weather, we used the lovely outside spaces set up for both eating and relaxing whilst overlooking the golf course. A basket of essentials were left for us so we would have a continental breakfast etc which was a nice touch as we had come fully prepared to cater completely for ourselves.
Our only complaints as a group seemed to be the use of the golf-course no longer was free, oven not working properly, the dinner plates were too large for the dishwasher and unfortunately a large picture broke it's hanging string and fell to the floor with a loud smash!! Otherwise it was a luxury home from home and these minor issues certainly would not stop us from staying there again!
A beautiful house which is a wonderful place to share with friends and family for an overnight stay or longer break.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cei D

Reviewed 8 June 2013

We booked Brockington Hall for a group of friends and family attending a local ball, and arrived with some trepidation, having read previous reviews. However, we were all hugely impressed. The large house was comfortable, clean and we settled in immediately. We made good use of the large kitchen the following morning, cooking breakfast for 18 - though the oven was not working properly. The house, facilities and garden were perfect for a large group, and we would certainly plan on using it again. I do think that their website is a bit misleading - it does suggest that it is a hotel, when in fact it is entirely self catering (though basic breakfast materials are made available). It also said that free use of the neighbouring golf course was available - not the case.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank paulandcei
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We stayed at brockington hall in november 2012. There was 22 of us for my husbands 40th and we had a ball..... However it is now January 2013 and I still do not have £1000 bond back. Which I gave at the time of booking in good faith. We did not damage the property and the owener Russell Warren Stevens advised me I would have it back before Christmas. The T&C's state I will have my bond back within 2 weeks of out stay. I am not in a legal battle to get my bond back.
Russell has a number of properties in the Uk - so I find it hard to believe he cannot afford to return my £1000. Although he says he is waiting for bookings and then will pay me. This is an awful situation and I have been well and truly ripped off.....becareful if you book with any of his properties - www.classiccountryhouses.com - you may not get your £1000 back !!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank RippedOff20121000
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I tried my usual place in the area but alas it was full. I found this on another site. The picture makes it look great and I must say it does look very nice but that is where it ends. I was greeted by a 'housekeeper' my room wasn't ready and I was told my breakfast would be in the kitchen in the morning. The hall was covered with leaves and dusty. I was the only one in the building. No staff were on the premises at all. Is this not a breach of health and safety? Not what I expected or believed I was booking. The house is huge and has potential but not for me. I will not be returning regardless of the paperwork in the room suggesting I will take away fantastic memories. Didn't work and definitely will never use again. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Wasn't worth the £70 I paid for the night.

Room Tip: Use another hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
9  Thank YorkshireTeddybear03
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We stayed in August this year and had a very enjoyable stay. We had a large group of families with children of all ages. When we read the previous review after we booked we were a bit worried but as it turned out we had none of the same issues.

The house was clean and tidy. If I can offer any advice it would be to make sure that you look at the sleeping allocation carefully. The downstairs accommodation is overflow really and only suitable for kids - and at the expense of the downstairs rooms. My 2 boys slept on a sofa bed in the study which meant no one else could use this room. Being 5 they didn't mind but the proper bedrooms are all upstairs. I would suggest limiting the numbers to match the proper bedrooms.

The house has plenty of parking and is a good location for exploring this wonderful part of the world.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mark P
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed in Brockington Hall with family recently, for a family get together. There were 24 of us I think, and although the property claims to sleep 30, it doesn't - I was on a very uncomfortable sofa bed and several of my (Adult) family members were in bunk beds.

So, the house - we drove down on Friday, in the snow (it was about -4) only to receive a phone call telling us the heating was broken. Then another telling us the house was 'warmed up and ready for our arrival' as the managers had taken portable heaters in. We got there, it was freezing. And the dodgy heaters they had brought had burnt holes in the carpet.

We proceeded to cook dinner, and make the best of it, all walking round in full outdoor hats. scarves, gloves etc. Then at about 9pm, midway through cooking chicken for 24, the power went. At this point, we were in a pitch black, freezing cold house, trying to find our way round by phone light, and convinced someone was playing a practical joke on us.

The owner was nowhere to be found (on holiday in Spain apparently) and the manager was helpfully in Suffolk. A random guy came round and started fiddling with the fuse box but had no clue. Dinner was ruined of course, about £50 of food down the drain. Eventually they said we could all stay at the hotel they owned in Leominster, the Royal Oak. I don't need to say much about that because the reviews on this site say it all (search for them if you're interested). Horrific.

So the next day, after the horrors of Leominster's Royal Joke Hotel, we went back to the house, still no heating, turned out they just hadn't filled the Calor Gas up. Even though they knew they had a party of 24 on the way and it was snowing. Electrician sorted out the electrics on sat morning, and the calor gas man turned up eventually.

So then we had heat and light at least. Still, many other issues with the house - not big enough for 24, only one fridge, no kitchen equipment, dishwasher didn't fit plates in, shower in my parents room gushed out cold water all night, and probably would have flooded if we'd stayed longer, no welcome hamper (which we were promised on booking), incredibly uncomfortable beds, I could go on and on and on...

The worst thing was the way we were treated - no customer service at all, and the owner was a patronising idiot when we contacted him about it. Several other negative reviews in the visitors book, although none had had quite the experience we did.

Shame, it could be lovely if done properly - but as it is, avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
14  Thank MaccyD88

Been to Brockington Hall? Share your experiences!