“Forced march and many blisters curtail the walk”

Ranked #2,860 of 16,154 things to do in England
Sterling, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Forced march and many blisters curtail the walk”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I'm going to offer a critical review because I haven't seen this type of information for the coast-to-coast walk. I should say upfront that I lasted 3 days in intense heat before inadequate socks and lots of sweating caused me 9 blisters that led to me coming home early. That said, here are a few cautions:

1. This was a guided walk, including 6 walkers who are in the UK Ramblers, so they walk regularly. That's fine, but for whatever reason, this wasn't a walk, or a hike. It was more like a forced march undertaken by an Army squad that needed to get to a battle ASAP. There was no identification of sites, flora or fauna along the way, and very little time even to take pictures. The main thing I saw was the 18" or so in front of my feet where, with luck, I would put my foot on the next bit of rock without slipping and breaking something. It's a beautiful area, the Lake District, but I could have seen more of it online, and much cheaper.

2. Each night I was hoping for a good meal and a cold beer, but neither one happened. And this is from someone who's been to the UK on other types of trips >25 times since the mid 70's. No Indian food on any pub menu (what's up with that?), bland overpriced food. And Grasmere had 2 restaurants that RAN OUT OF FOOD in July?? I mean really??

3. I could handle the walk itself: no sore muscles or heat exhaustion, the latter suffered by one of the other marchers. I stayed hydrated and had no stamina or endurance issues. So it's a feasible trip. But, other than saying you've done the whole thing, I can't see the appeal.

Visited July 2013
29 Thank StLouisnative1948

Houston, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“We are now 75 y.o.”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

And have hiked the C2C 4 times since 2004. Loved every time. In 2012, the weather was "a bit blowey," according to the Brits. We Texas boys would say gale force winds, hail twice, fog - fog, but also sunshine. All make great stories. We have used Sherpa to move bags every time. One year, a co-hiker developed a foot problem and Sherpa moved him, along with our bags, at no extra cost. A great PLUS! We hope to hike it again in 2014

9 Thank Philip C
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Do it.”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Aided by sherpa van doing the heavy carrying,this trek allowed me to sample the great countryside and the people who live there.from the delightfully helpful denise,at the excellent kirkby hostel,to newknees,who has done it before,but took timeto hobble and chat.
Go with an open mind and enjoy the whole experience.

4 Thank Julian W
tampa fl
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Fantastic adventure for 72 year old guy!”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Yes,I decided to do this trip on my own after recovering from 2 total knee replacements. I started in St. Bees with beautiful sunshine and finished in Robin Hoods Bay with sunshine. However, during my 16 day adventure, there was rain, sleet, hail, high wind, and fog intermittent. Although the countryside is none to compare, the people in the country are the beauty of the trip. It is a daily journey which tests your skills of endurance, map reading, and planning for the unexpected changes of weather. Many questioned that I could backpack without the typical packhorse couriers along the way to carry luggage to next location, but I wanted the flexibility and independence of doing this myself. I meet many incredible people from many parts of the world and the most gracious and kind hearted were in the countryside. It is an experience you will treasure. Do not take the preparation and physical training for granted, but it is worth every minute. Enjoy!

25 Thank stylinagain
Sydney, Australia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Coast2coast”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We are a group 4 couples in our 50's of average fitness and we have all just completed the C2C walking for 14 days straight. Sherpa van looked after our accomodation bookings and bag transfer all seamlessly and our accomodation was all fairly good with some outstanding choices. It was sensational, a most beautiful and picturesque journey which at times was very challenging. Mostly we elected to take the hight routes across the fells which really added to the challege especially in the first 4 days. The comdraderie, the people you meet, the fabulous snapshot of rural England, and experiencing the fells and moors in extreme weather all make or an incredible adventure. Yes come prepared with good boots, waterproofs and good navigation is essential. Next time I would add 2 days either as rest days or to break up a couple of the back to back long stages. Don't over analyse it as it is worth the effort and while its not a physically easy holiday, mentally you really unwind quickly emerging yourselves in the surroundings. Don't hesitate...just do it!

20 Thank Cakdak