“This hike changed my life...”

Ranked #3,111 of 15,934 things to do in England
Wilder, Kentucky
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“This hike changed my life...”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I did this hike with a friend after graduating high school instead of the ever-so-popular "beach week." We learned a lot about independence, responsibility, perserverance, reading maps, patience, and determination.

It took us over two weeks (I suppose as non-regular hikers we should be grateful we made it considering some of the very difficult mountains, but I'm sure a professional would laugh about how slow we went). Our days ranged from 8 miles to 14 miles. We got lost once and side tracked into Pooley Bridge which was a lovely town.

We stayed at hostels and carried all of our things with us. There are services that will take your luggage from town to town if you are unable to carry - up to you. We wanted the BACKPACKING experience.

And we got it.

We did the trail backwards, ending in St. Bees. Our friendhip grew really strong over the trip, it showed a huge amount of trust from our parents in letting us have this adventure. And in the end, the picutres I have of me standing on top of a mountain, and my once-in-a-lifetime journal of experiences and drawings are way better than the average hangovers and shamecations that come from beach week.

I'm grateful to my parents every day for supporting me in this trip.

Visited June 2013
20 Thank CinciPro

palmerston north
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“More than a walk”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My wife and I (70 and 69 yrs of age) did the walk in September 2013. We had already completed the Camino de Santiago and had also walked across Israel. We thought therefor this would be a stroll in the park.

WRONG, this was a challenging walk (climb) across Britain and we underestimated the severity of some of the terain. That aside and starting off with three days of rain and windy conditions we managed to get on with it. The scenery, people you meet and accomodation were excellent, (although freedom walking on our own we had Sherpa book the accomodation and take luggage) we met some wonderfull people and an absolute highlight never to be forgotten was meeting a husband and wife doing the walk for the second time. Nothing unusual you might say about that, however give this some serious thought, "The husband was blind". I have yet even after 45 years as a Police Officer never been so humbled.

Moaning about the terain, sore feet and whatever quickly became forgotten.

Unfortunately my wife injured her foot halfway across the walk and had to be transported by Sherpa. I tried to insist that I go with her but she said no you carry on and finish the walk (not really what I wanted to hear) but I did and am thankfull that I did.

To all the wonderfull people we met, Hi, and if anybody from the American hiking club that was doing the walk that we tagged along with from time to time reads this we would be please to hear from you. (wynne98@slingshot.co.nz)

Take the plunge if you want an adventure, this walk is definitely worth it.

Visited September 2013
35 Thank wynne98
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“amazing! and so were the packhorse team!”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

did this with 2 friends, very very hard but enjoyed it none the less, saw so many places and met some cool people, did it in 14 days and had 2 days rest, stayed one night in a static caravan thanks to amazing peter at the orchard caravan site in reeth! one friend ended up dropping out due to blisters and sheer exhaustion, make sure you take loads of compeed plasters!
im not a great lover of heights so some of the mountains 'kidsty pike felt like they were going to get the better of me but i found it to be exhilirating, you just have to make sure you do some walks of at least 16 miles before you start your walk, we ended up running on the last day to try and get back to watch man united and arsenal at the pub, we went the wrong way and ended up in whitby, we worked out we ran 25 miles! got to the pub and it wasnt on!! dont rush!! and enjoy it, if you dont enjoy it then its utterly pointless! :-)

Visited August 2013
9 Thank Jon W
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“One of the best holidays we have ever had.”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is a wonderful walk through some of the most attractive scenery in Northern England. I am sure however that it It will not suit everyone. It suited us. We walk each week, have good warm and waterproof gear, good comfortable boots and enjoy walking the Lake District Fells for two weeks every year. And we had a good idea of what was involved before we booked it!

Those walkers who we met on the Coast to Coast Walk and who were also really enjoing it had done their research in advance about what to expect. They were doing it in about 17 days and not trying to do it in a very short time. They were people in general who had a little time to, and wanted to, "stand and stare" and loved English scenery in all it's varied moods. They enjoyed it rain or shine, heat or cold, mist or winds. Although for most it is extra special when you get sunny, clear, but not too hot days.

The walk passes through the Lake District, over the Pennines, through Swaledale, across the Vale of Mowbray, up on to the Cleveland Hills and across the North Yorkshire Moors and with some spectacular coastal scenery to start and finish.

We used Packhorse in Kirkby Stephen to book our accommodation, transport our luggage, help us with odd queries and generally arrange things for us. We found them very good indeed. All the accommodation was good, and many of the places that we stayed in were exceptionally good.

The Coast to Coast Walk is not a National Trail so there is no central government funding to the many local authorites on the way to signpost or waymark the route. We found that the eastern end of the walk is better signed than the western end. We also found that being able to use a map and compass was really handy when we got lost which we did on a few occassons in common with many others we met. It all adds to the interest because, if you do lose the way, you are still in dramatic, remote or simply beautiful countryside. We found that mapreading skills are also helpful with the variations in the route both within the Wainwright original guidebook and the newer guidebooks as well.

We just found it a wonderful adventure and met some really interesting, kind and happy people either looking after us or walking the route. If we had the time and money we would do it again as soon as possible. We loved it.

Visited September 2013
23 Thank Dee-and-Tea
Sydney NSW
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A Truly Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Four of us from Australia just completed this walk in August. We used Contours to book the accommodation and arrange bag transport, which all worked perfectly. We took what some would say is a very leisurely 18 days to walk, no rest days but a couple of days which were really only four hours walking, which suited us. Anyone thinking about doing this walk should do it. We have done a number of long distance walks and this one is right up there and the reason for this is the variety and also a sense of achievement. Variety because the walk is in 3 distinct chunks - the Lake District, the Dales and the Moors, all quite different and its great to get this change. The sense of achievement comes from knowing that you have truly got from one coast to the other, under your own steam, and thrown that Irish sea pebble in the North Sea. You will meet lots of people along the way, some you might only see a couple of days apart - on the walk, in a B and B, or at a pub at night. Its nice to run into people you never knew, but who become familiar faces along the way. I estimate that 90% of people doing the walk don't carry their heavy packs - just a daypack and get their case moved. Nearly everyone travels east, we only saw a handful coming the other way, for reasons that are well written up. I would suggest you take the Steadman guidebook, its also got good drawings rather than relying on narratives and maps. If you are super fit, go for it - in whatever timeframe you think is fair. If you aren't super fit, but keen to walk, just get some practice walks in beforehand. Do it at your own pace - we met a few people doing it in 10-12 days, most 14-15 days and a few longer than this like us. I would do this walk again in a heartbeat, the challenge for me is its on the other side of the world!

Visited August 2013