“Not So Good”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Woburn
Skegness, United Kingdom
“Not So Good”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This is the kind of hotel which encourages people to stay at Travel Lodges and Premier Inns. At £ 75 for a double room, we were surprised to find it was not en-suite. Shabby and uncomfortable. One miserable sachet of shower gel, one packet of biscuits and a kettle lead that did not reach the plug. We met family and used the hotel as a place we could all stay. The others did a little better as they shared a flat ( one bathroom between 3 rooms ). Never mind off to dinner for a forgettable meal. Overdone lamb and steak. Veg extra, a tiny portion. Cheap nasty white wine and the red somewhat better. Lovely waitress.

Room Tip: If you want to stay together as a group, choose the flat, although you might be better off elsewhere...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
, Owner at Longs Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
I am disappointed to hear about your trip advisor review and more so after I have done some investigation with my staff to find that you booked the room on late rooms which clearly states the type of room you have booked -unfortunately not all of our rooms are full en-suite, there are a couple that share a tiolet as described in this cut from the booking you made. "Standard Double Room sleeps 2. Room only. Non Smoking Requested, 1 Adult
This standard double room is well appointed and may either be located in our courtyard (sharing a bathroom with two other rooms which may or may not be occupied) OR In the main building with own en-suite shower, but sharing a toilet opposite."

We understand you were clearly unhappy with this when you arrived and as we explained at the time, we would have upgraded you but unfortunately we were fully booked and unable to do so.

I take on board your comment about the shower gel and will be looking into replenishing what we offer.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Hungarian first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Wow! We've been a bit reluctant due to the reviews. BUT:
Longs Inn has a new management since end of May. We enjoyed the stay.
Very friendly service. Restaurant very tasty and as a resident discount included.
Breakfast more than remarkable.

Lows: Carpet may need a change. However: Just a few weeks at under new management.

Summary: We will come back.

P.S: Woburn and Woburn Sand are attractive (especially with kids). As Non-Englishman: Keep in mind that there is no service at early check-out (at 8:00) on a Sunday.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank oere
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

This is a lovely, characterful old building, which is seriously let down by it's staff. There is no feeling that either the guests or the building are cared for. Our room was a good size and well furnished but had not been hoovered, the bathroom was shoddy, with a broken blind. Large bathroom but badly laid out and with tiny shower cubicle and no bath.
English breakfast was good - cooked to order, but a long wait for it to arrive. However, the continental breakfast included in room rate seemed to be a very limited choice.
Overall it didn't really give value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sarky59
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We had booked 3 rooms in total 2 doubles and a family room. When we got to our room we went in and the double premier room as advertised was tiny and bathroom looked like it had only just been added and it was put into a cupboard the shower was not a full size stand up shower it was about half the size so if your quite big you would never of been able to fit in it, As we had another double room booked we were able to have a look at another one which was a very good size with a full size bathroom even had a bath. So we were a bit confused why we were paying the same amount, We went to reception and asked for another room but there was no other room so the manager took a considerable amount off the room rate which we were happy with. The rooms themselves were very clean with good facilities. The bar area was good and the breakfast was excellent all cooked to order which was great. It does have noisy floor boards and it is noisy with the traffic but what do you expect from an old hotel. I do think the room we stayed in should never be charged at full rate as i think a lot of people probably moan amount the size, so if its advertised as double for single occupancy and charged at a lower rate then people would have no reason to moan. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Now, I'll start by saying the building is lovely and the rooms, whilst modest are most definitley clean. I have no issue with that.

I was on a business trip and decided to stay over rather than face a 6 hour round trip in the car. I got checked in well enough, no issues there either. Decided not to have a drink or dinner and just get an early night as I had a long day ahead of me. So the scene is set.....10pm in bed, asleep by 10.15.pm. With me?

Bang on 2am the fire alarm goes off, I decide to put some clothes on and head down, I'm half asleep and when I get to the bottom of the stairs it's clear to me the staff and maybe a few locals are having a lock in. The cry of "oh, a punter!" goes up. So I ask "was that the fire alarm?" The gentleman who checked me in replies "Oh, s*** was that your room? It's all supposed to be disconnected! (???), did it keep you up?" I reply "Well, it woke me up" so he says "how about a nice cup of tea in the morning to say sorry?" I mumble something about just wanting to get to sleep and head back upstairs.

I couldn't drop off straight back to sleep so I began to read within half an hour the noise begins - people literally running around the hotel (staff? - the number of voices I heard were three male and one female matching the same dynamic as was locked in downstairs) slamming doors, swearing and hooting like it was a midday walk in a park. This continues; and continues; and continues. At precisely 4.19am I hear a voice outside my door "Think this ones free, not sure what room we put that c*** in" and the door starts rattling! Someones actually trying to get into my room so I yell "Oi! It's not free!" much laughter and the voices trail back up the hallway aware now that I am awake. The noises continue; and continue. Finally abating at 5.08am - less than three hours before I'm due at work.

A hellish experience and it's no wonder this place is struggling. Give it a wide berth. Go elsewhere. I never even got the cup of tea.

Room Tip: Don't do it
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Corken1981
Leighton Buzzard
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Long's is a former coaching Inn and now has rooms, however, we didn't stay there so this is about the restaurant. You can park behind the inn as long as you are not driving anything too wide for the narrow passageway that gives access in this old building. There are a couple of hundred listed buildings in Woburn and I imagine this may be one of them.
There are real ales on offer but served chilly and with a creamy head, though they taste fine and my Adnams was welcome. The menu and specials board are sensibly limited and both our soup of the day and main courses were nicely presented and showed some flair...except for some sad little chantenay carrots which detracted. My halibut had a properly crisp skin and was perfectly cooked within. My partner found his steak equally good. We also enjoyed the soup of the day, potato and wild garlic, served with wedges of a good white bread. Sadly, we were alone in the dining area and only towards the end of our meal did another table become occupied. This doesn't help make a sparkling atmosphere and the cause may be down to a couple of things; the prices and the decor. There's cheaper competition all around and not everyone is happy to pay between £10 - £15 for mains. The decor is a little schizophrenic - not quite a pub and not a restaurant....but not in a good way that might turn it into a destination venue. With food that is veering towards "gastro" you need to match it with cleaver designer decor. Give them a try though. The staff are charming and they are really trying.

Room Tip: Didn't use the rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

A tradtional beautiful 17th century inn needing some tlc. Great food and service, felt sorry for staff under a lot of pressure to make an old building work which clearly needs a lot of investment. Worth visiting just for the historical value though, and the friendly chatty staff.

Room Tip: All rooms needs atttention, have stayed a few times. All have what you need and great deals on agenc...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woburn
The Woburn Hotel
Hilton Milton Keynes
Hilton Milton Keynes
#14 of 34 in Milton Keynes
Premier Inn Milton Keynes South Hotel

Been to Longs Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!