“Utterly charming...the people AND the place”
Review of Longs Inn Hotel

Longs Inn Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Woburn
Hexham
“Utterly charming...the people AND the place”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This place is under new management and the owners have worked crazy hard to make this a terrific place to stay. They are working through the building doing renovations...how they've managed to achieve floors which don't squeak in such an old building is beyond me. The staff are wonderfully friendly and the breakfasts absolutely outstanding, including home baked bread in the best bacon sandwich I've had for years. Plenty of space in the family room, which we took for three nights, so had plenty of opportunity to notice the smaller touches, such as if you don't eat the selection of biscuits one evening, they're replaced with a different selection the morning after to see if they're more to your taste. It sounds like a tiny thing, but the whole establishment is run with attention to detail like that and we really appreciated it. The family room hasn't been renovated yet and my partner's initial reaction was "hope you didn't pay much for this"...by the next evening he had totally changed his view. Wifi was another unexpected bonus. This is a lovely place to stay and we would recommend it without hesitation. The restaurant is excellent at all times, not just for breakfast...reviewed elsewhere.

The only thing we'd change was the traffic noise, which is constant all day all night with lorries cutting through to avoid the M1, but this affects every hotel in Woburn as they're all on the main road. If you're a very light sleeper we'd recommend that you pick a different village,but if you pick Woburn...stay at Long's Inn!

Room Tip: Plenty of space in the family room if you like a bit more room or are taking a longer break.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hungarian first
Sussex
Reviewed 28 August 2013

One night stay with business. The room was spacious and comfortable with a large four poster bed and en suite. All the usual facilities in the room with towels and toiletries on the bed.
Food was very good, I had an enjoyable dinner and a large full English which was great. The restaurant was separate from the pub, which I liked as an alone traveller I prefer to not sit in the middle of a pub and eat my dinner.
My only gripe was the shower, I couldn't turn it off!! I if course let reception now and I am sure this will have now been fixed.
Would certainly stay again and reccomend.

• Stayed June 2013
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Stopped here ready to go to safari the following day! Bit odd lay out, checking in, in the middle of people dining. Pointed to our room and to be honest was expecting it to be awful, apart from tv not working the room was lovely. Friendly Staff and decent hot breakfast. Would come again if I was this way

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My husband and I recently booked to stay at this hotel on the night of August 16th, 2013. Unfortunately, on the morning of the 16th, a family crisis developed, making it impossible for us to travel. I called the hotel to cancel, expecting to pay a cancellation fee, only to be told that I would be charged the FULL rate for the evening. And if further proof were needed that money trumped all other considerations, and that the guiding principle here was to make as much money as possible at every available opportunity, I was offered a discounted rate if I re-booked the hotel for a later date.

I might have been less affronted at such severe booking terms and conditions if I had received e-mail notification of them beforehand, but the hotel confirmation, including the aforementioned terms and conditions, arrived in my in-box on August 17th, one day later than the reservation itself! I note from other reviews that I am not the only traveller to experience an inefficient and muddled confirmation process from this hotel.

In attempting to discuss the situation with the hotel's management, I was politely hung up upon, after the person to whom I was speaking dispassionately demanded to know whether it was her fault that such a family crisis had occurred and insisted that there could be no movement of the hotel's position.

The building has a warm and charming facade, but, in my opinion, hides a cold, money-grubbing, and disorganized (the confirmation process) interior.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janet E
Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We booked for ourselves and some family via their online booking.The first surprise was that despite having received a confirmation we were contacted a month or so later to contat the hotel with credit card details again so the booking would be confirmed, as we thought it was all booked and secure.

The major surprise came when we arrived only to be told there bwas a function and food would not be available that night. No excuse for no letting is know. Having said that we walked down the road and had a great meal at the Bell.

Also we were told breakfast was at 7am,only to come down and finbd another guest waiting and the staff eventually arrived at 8am.

The rooms were excellent and we would certainly stay there again, but the overall service left a lot to be desired. It's not difficult to improve such basic service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

My wife and I decided to stay in Woburn to celebrate our 10th Anniversary, we searched for hotels and saw that Longs Inn was rated highly and so booked.
We stayed in one of the Inns en suite rooms and I was surprised at the size of the room and bathroom, lovely and roomy, with everything you might need, TV and free WiFi in the room and bar area.
The room was a bit dated, but this added to the whole experience, it took me back to family holidays of yesteryear. The included Breakfast was lovely, cooked to order and I heartily recommend the sausages, delicious!
I found the location excellent within reach of all the local restaurants and bars, and within easy reach of the M1 and Milton Keynes to fulfill any shopping or entertainment needs.
Parking was ample, but be warned the access is very restricted, so if you have a 4x4 ask when booking where best to park.
I really enjoyed my stay, and will definitely return, and would advise anyone staying at Woburn to think about Longs Inn if you are looking for real value for money.

1 Thank Blackers1979
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband chose the Long Inn's hotel as a stay over for our friends wedding locally. On arrival it had a nice small check-in and was swift service. Our Premier Double Room was located on the 3rd floor after 2 sets of narrow staircases. The room was clean and quaint but the carpets were tatty and extremely worn in certain areas. The room was nicely decorated. What let this hotel down was the very hard/thin matress and extremely creeky bed that seemed to be held together what boards of cheap wood. Also the toilet and bath area has a 'sani-flow' system, which meant that anytime you flush or drain the water the noise was soooooo loud and you would easily wake up your neighbours in the next room. We ended up being paranoid to flush the toilet or drain the bath until we knew it was a suitable time in the morning!
This hotel is lovely downstairs and there is good option for the breakfast included in the price. Can't complain at all over the service or restaurant area.

1 Thank LJ123456
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woburn
The Woburn Hotel
The Woburn Hotel
#1 of 3 in Woburn
The Bell Hotel & Inn
The Bell Hotel & Inn
#3 of 3 in Woburn
Best Western Moore Place Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor
Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House)
Hilton Milton Keynes
Hilton Milton Keynes
#16 of 34 in Milton Keynes

Been to Longs Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!