“Pleasant stay but with a few issues.”
Review of Longs Inn Hotel

Longs Inn Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Woburn
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay but with a few issues.”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My friends and I stayed here for one night whilst at a wedding in the village. We rented the courtyard apartment (£195 per night) and were actually very happy with the accommodation which comprised of two double bedrooms, one single bedroom, one shared bathroom and one kitchen (stocked with tea, coffee, biscuits, crockery etc). The rooms were clean, tidy and of a good size, although the TV's in the rooms were small and it would have been nice to have a living room. This was not an issue for us as we only spent a small amount of time in the apartment but if you were staying for longer, it may be an issue.

There was plenty of parking although the archway access to the car park is very narrow and would not be suitable for large cars. Breakfast was included in the price of the room and although it was a nice breakfast, I got the impression that our presence was an inconvenience to the staff - one young man seemed to be new and couldn't answer a few questions which was acceptable but the other staff member seemed to huff and puff about catering to a larger table (if you have an apartment that accommodates 5 people, surely you should have a table that seats more than 4 people?). Maybe we caught them during a busy time but it left a slightly negative view of the staff.

Overall we were happy with the accommodation, the location and the price and would recommend the Longs Inn but there were a few issues that could be improved.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SarahL8732

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hungarian first
England
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I've given one star simply for the staff who were very pleasant nice and welcoming. From the moment though the dreaded room 11 was involved it's a car crash. I've stayed in 100's of hotels and this room had without question the thinnest walls I've ever encounter. You couldn't just hear next door using the bathroom you could hear everything ! The plumbing sounds like there's water coming in your room when next door flushes their loo.Beds very lumpy TV tiny with not many channels. Apparently there are upgraded rooms available insist you have one and not those in the courtyard.Breakfast was also rubbish but after no sleep the night before no surprise .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank nick7p
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We booked to stay in Longs Inn after a wedding. We arrived, and was sorry to find our shared bathroom covered in the other guests dirty towls - not great for a 85 pound a night room! We raised this with the reception and asked if we could change room.

It was fully booked so they offered to check us out. We decided in this option, and kindly took up their offer.

Th next day they then deducted the full costs from our card!

We raised this after as I felt it wasn't reasonable and certainly wasn't made clear when this was given as a solution to the dirty bathroom.

In out opinion there are far better hotels nearby, with more modern decoration and there own bathrooms. Be warned, not to be recommended at all!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank AnnaCRevell
Westoning, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

me and my wife visited Longs the food was grat the Servise was grat we will go back soon.this is an inn that has good price and excellent servise you must visit if you are in Woburn well dune to all the Starf.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here several years ago on business and it then called the Magpie, it was pretty poor and tatty. Now it's completely different, it's 400 years old so yes it's going to be slightly old fashioned but it is nipping clean, in comparison to the Magpie this is luxury, but seriously I couldn't knock the people who ran it (very friendly and accommodating) the bedding was comfortable and clean, the room was very relaxing with a 4 poster and seating area with a large television, if this was all I was reviewing I would give it a very good! However, we had an evening meal and breakfast, which unfortunately wasn't up to the standard of the rooms. Our mains on the evening where pretty average, beef with all the trimmings was tough beef and gravy with veg and large frozen then roasted potatoes! I have to say though it was cheap enough as before 7 marked mains were £7 which you can't fault, however, it was the last night of a break and we did want to leave it on a high note and we were looking for something a bit better than average, which is a fair comment. San Miguel was very well kept and a reasonable price, for the area the wine was a good price for a decent Sauvignon Blanc. Breakfast! Bacon on one plate was just about cooked and so was the sausage, both dishes were served Luke warm with an underdone egg on one, which all happened to be on my plate. It could have been so much better as the quality of the bacon sausage and egg was very good. Serve on hot plates and you are half way there. All in all I would be probably stay here again, but I would think twice about eating here unless its convenient

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew S
Hexham
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This place is under new management and the owners have worked crazy hard to make this a terrific place to stay. They are working through the building doing renovations...how they've managed to achieve floors which don't squeak in such an old building is beyond me. The staff are wonderfully friendly and the breakfasts absolutely outstanding, including home baked bread in the best bacon sandwich I've had for years. Plenty of space in the family room, which we took for three nights, so had plenty of opportunity to notice the smaller touches, such as if you don't eat the selection of biscuits one evening, they're replaced with a different selection the morning after to see if they're more to your taste. It sounds like a tiny thing, but the whole establishment is run with attention to detail like that and we really appreciated it. The family room hasn't been renovated yet and my partner's initial reaction was "hope you didn't pay much for this"...by the next evening he had totally changed his view. Wifi was another unexpected bonus. This is a lovely place to stay and we would recommend it without hesitation. The restaurant is excellent at all times, not just for breakfast...reviewed elsewhere.

The only thing we'd change was the traffic noise, which is constant all day all night with lorries cutting through to avoid the M1, but this affects every hotel in Woburn as they're all on the main road. If you're a very light sleeper we'd recommend that you pick a different village,but if you pick Woburn...stay at Long's Inn!

Room Tip: Plenty of space in the family room if you like a bit more room or are taking a longer break.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sussex
Reviewed 28 August 2013

One night stay with business. The room was spacious and comfortable with a large four poster bed and en suite. All the usual facilities in the room with towels and toiletries on the bed.
Food was very good, I had an enjoyable dinner and a large full English which was great. The restaurant was separate from the pub, which I liked as an alone traveller I prefer to not sit in the middle of a pub and eat my dinner.
My only gripe was the shower, I couldn't turn it off!! I if course let reception now and I am sure this will have now been fixed.
Would certainly stay again and reccomend.

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woburn
The Woburn Hotel
#14 of 34 in Milton Keynes
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,427 reviews
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor
Premier Inn Milton Keynes South Hotel

Been to Longs Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!