“Nice place, lovely venue.”
Review of The Woburn Hotel

The Woburn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Woburn
Thatcham, England, United Kingdom
“Nice place, lovely venue.”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed for one night, we had an executive double room with an additional single bed. The room was exceelent and comfortable, lots of te and coffee and the bathroomwas clean and well stocked. Theonly let downs were the car park was a walk made worse with bad weather and the morning breakfast servers were not that pleasant all in all a lovely stay and would return again.

Room Tip: Call the hotel ratherthan use the website!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Davidattheinn, Manager at The Woburn Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we have noted your two negative points.

We all look forward to welocming you back soon in Woburn.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

We stayed here for two nights in August 2013.

The check-in was efficient and friendly. Our room which overlooked the rear garden was comfortable, clean and warm. The bathroom was clean and well-stocked.

We managed to lock ourselves out of our room safe but the problem was quickly resolved by the duty manager.

The breakfasts are excellent and the service good. Although the buffet section can be a little crowded when busy.

The food in the restaurant is very good, if a little pricey.

We were staying as part of a wedding party and during our stay one of the guests was contacted in the night about the death of a close relative. The hotel staff were excellent in dealing with this, arranging with security to open and providing transport to Woburn Abbey to help recover the guest's car from the car park.

We would stay again and recommend it to other visitors to Woburn Abbey and the surrounding area.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Graham J
Davidattheinn, Manager at The Woburn Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are very pleased that you fully enjoyed the facilites and service at The Inn at Woburn during your recent stay.

We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back very soon in Woburn.

Kind regards,

Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Enjoyed our short stay here. The room was clean and well appointed although the pillows were hard and uncomfortable. We attended a special wine tasting dinner. The food was good and the service excellent. Staff were friendly and overall a very pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vjoynes
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed our popular Winemakers' dinner here at the Inn last Friday.

I have noted your comment about the pillows and will investigate the matter further with our Head Housekeeper. I do hope this did not prevent you from getting a decent night's sleep.

Once again thank you for posting your review and this site and we all hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back soon at the Inn at Woburn.

Thanet, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed here for the wedding of a Grand-daughter whos reception was held in the sculpture gallery at Woburn. The marriage itself took place in the lovely local church at Woburn.
Our room was small but adequate...in a quiet position overlooking an apple orchard at the back of the hotel. The bed and en-suite facilities were very adequate.Unfortunately there is no lift and I found the stairs rather steep...the hotel was full so we were unable to move to a lower floor room.
The bar is quite pleasant, somewhere the whole family could gather before our evening meal at an adjacent hostelry.
I thought breakfast was a bit muddled. We had a family table which had access to a buffet table. constantly running out of items it was not well organised! The eggs were constantly overcooked.I gather other guests could order breakfast to be prepared individually which I would have preferred.
The reception at the sculpture gallery was beautifully organised on the other hand.The setting was gorgeous and the food was superb, each table being served together...every course was wonderful, especially the steak main course...it was certainly a memorable occassion.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are much quieter, no lift if you have mobility problems, however there are ground...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Davidattheinn, Manager at The Woburn Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us for your grand daughter’s wedding,

I am glad that you enjoyed you stay and I am sorry we could not provide you with a room nearer to our public areas. I have also noted your point regarding the breakfast buffet.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon in Woburn.

Kind regards,

oxfordshire
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We had spent a delightful week-end staying with our former neighbours and we decided to conclude our visit with lunch in nearby Woburn.Having previously enjoyed lunch in the large bar area where out little Westie sat quietly under our table we decided to go back. However, upon entering we found several members of staff grouped behind the reception desk which immediately reminded me of my experiences staying in Soviet bloc hotels during the Cold War! There attitude - 'we don't alow dogs' - was also reminescent of the less than polite manner of Soviet officialdom in the 1960's!
Obviously hotels may change their policy regarding pets but there are ways of putting things!
We soon found an excellent place for lunch in Woburn that was delighted to welcomes the four of us plus our dog.
We shall not be returning to the Inn at Woburn with or without our dog!.
From The Oxfordshire Doglover

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank OxfordshireDoglover
Thank you for posting your review on this site.

I am sorry that some of my colleagues have made you feel so unwelcome here at the Inn.
Although we consider ourselves as a friendly, welcoming and hospitable team, it seems that on this occasion we failed to deliver and for this I apologise.

As a dog owner you will appreciate that every establishment preparing and serving food, has the right to choose whether or not they want to allow dogs (this does not applies to guide dogs). For Health and Safety reasons we do not accept dogs in all our food service areas, however we always try to accommodate as much as we can by providing suitable external sitting (weather permitting), and a bowl of cold water for your pet. Dogs can also be tied up outside and still be minded by their master when sitting in our main lounge.

I sincerely hope you will reconsider returning to the Inn and allow us to redeem ourselves.

Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I'm sorry to say but a year ago I was singing the praises of the afternoon cream tea at the Woburn Inn but gradually it's got worse and worse. I take most of my clients to Woburn for an afternoon drive round the deer park and then into the Inn for tea and scones. However, as with lots of products you buy in a supermarket, the scones have got smaller, while the price has remained stable. The scones and the amount of clotted cream provided has really been reduced to half what they used to give in the cream tea at Woburn. When I first went there a few years ago, the scones were huge, warm with a generous pot of clotted cream and another pot of strawberry jam. The jam has been served in individual pots for quite a while. For my last visit, the scones had obviously been microwaved and and were too hot, so the slither of clotted cream melted on the open scone. Worse than this the scones are simply half the size they used to be. The cream tea in Woburn itself is bad enough. I would much rather they go back to the large scones, a proper dollop of clotted cream and increase or even double the price. If it's just as bad next time I take clients for tea at the Inn, I'll have to find somewhere else to go. Sorry but you have guys at Woburn are messing up the good thing you have going there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank John G
Davidattheinn, Owner at The Woburn Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback regarding afternoon tea at the Inn.

I am sorry to hear how disappointed you are with the size of scones and amount of cream and jam offered with our cream teas.

We do serve smaller scones with our Duchess Anna Maria Full Afternoon Tea; however standard size when ordered individually and all scones are made and baked on the premises.

Mr John G., I hope you will consider re-visiting in the near future and if so, please do contact me before hand to ensure we fully discuss your expectations about cream teas.

Wales
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The Inn at Woburn is a lovely looking building in the pretty, typically English village of Woburn. The reception area is well laid out, the bar is excellent and serves real ale, the meeting rooms are suitably supplied with sweets.
The bedrooms are a different matter. Whatever you do, don't consider getting dirty in anyway - this means golfing in the rain, shooting poor unfortunate pheasants in the country side, rambling in the mud or having a shabby but imaginatively energetic affair with your boss / secretary.
The reason for this is that although the rooms come complete with bathroom, there is an absence of water in them. On my first morning at the Inn I got plenty of exercise running around in the bath trying to get wet under the pathetic dribble that eminated from the shower head. On my second, I tunrned the shower on expectantly but all I got was the sloppy slurping sound of someone elses shower syphoning my precious water away. There was not even any water from the taps in the sink. Having cleaned my teeth with the water from the vases of lovely flowers strategically placed throughout the hotel I went downstairs to complain.
Me - There's no water in my bathroom!
Them - Oh yes that happens a lot.
Me - But this is a hotel!
Them - Yes but a lot of people got up at the same time.
Me - But this is a hotel, you can't get people up on a rota!
Them - Mmm (smile) sorry.
Me - Can I have a discount because I've not been able to use about one third of my room!
Them - No sorry, we've sent the bill off to your company already.
Me - Can I have a bucket of warm water and a rub down in the back yard?
Them - Mmm sorry sir, we can't do that because of health and safety.

So - although a lot of customers have given the Inn excellent feedback, due to the pathetic Basil Fawlty like response from reception (minus the humour but with a touch of sarcasm!!) it's lucky to get 2 stars from me, both are for the bar!!

P.S Please do not take your cat into your bedroom with you; you won't be able to swing it. You might get away with a kitten.

Room Tip: Ask for one WITH water!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank ChrispyWales
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed ‘the lovely looking building’, Woburn Village, our bar offering and our meeting rooms. I am, however, very sorry for the issues you had with the size of your room, the water pressure and the poor level of customer care that you encountered during your stay.

We strive to achieve the highest levels of comfort and hospitality, therefore please accept my sincere apologies that standards fell below what we would consider to be acceptable.
I have discussed your feedback with the relevant Head of Department and she will address the points raised with her team.

I am also sorry that you found your room to be small. We do offer executive double rooms which are bigger than are standard rooms and recently refurbished so should you wish to stay again you may prefer to request one of these.

Regarding the water pressure, the actions taken few months ago, to remedy this issue, have not fully solved it. We have been monitored it and have taken further technical advice to have it fully working, whatever the time or volume of water is required to have a decent shower or bath.

Once again, I apologise for a disappointing stay.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woburn
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor
Longs Inn Hotel
Longs Inn Hotel
#2 of 3 in Woburn
Best Western Moore Place Hotel
Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House)
The Bell Hotel & Inn
The Bell Hotel & Inn
#3 of 3 in Woburn
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes

Been to The Woburn Hotel? Share your experiences!