“Like good english oak, this place is maturing just fine.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Royal Oak - CLOSED

The Royal Oak
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: The Royal Oak is a traditional pub with a local drinking trade and a heavy emphasis on being a traditional pub in a very informal setting ,serving fresh food in a very casual bar setting rather than gastro style, we are a 16th century thatched cottage pub with an eclectic mix of furniture.So if you like the old fasioned pub but with very good freshly prepared food and you don't mind the odd local popping in for a pint we are the place for you.
London, United Kingdom
“Like good english oak, this place is maturing just fine.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Situated just outside the buzz of the cross roads sits this little pub, with its lily reed roof, ample size garden, fire places and little windows, called the Royal Oak.

For sometime now, this has always been a site that catches one's eye as you drive through the village. Over the years i have seen this place have its fair share of dress ups and to this day, it remains proudly bold with good character and charm.

So with a fist full of change in my pocket, i parked up one day to venture in, needless to say i was surprised. Through the old victorian style latch door, i was greeted by a cosy landing proudly displaying the bar, to my right was a snug area with an open fire place and to my left a dining area, colours of purple and white splashed the room to a modern styling white a black and white chalk board proceeded to inform of todays catch.

I, like any punter, decided at this stage to wet my whistle as they say. Now i believe a true test of any landlord is his Guiness and his Ales. I am happy to report both were delightful and well kept. I browsed through the wine list and there is plenty to choose from with great selection of new and old world wines. The locals in this particular pub are very welcoming as is the landlord, Terry i believe.

Many moons passed and i once again return to this venue, this time to test out the food. Once again, i was amazed and happy. Now i must mention at this stage that i am a cook myself, so believe me when i say this is good. Freshly made food to order, hand cut chips, homemade pies, Amazing Pate ( Have now eaten both the Mackerel and the Liver ) and good filling burgers, all washed down with great beer and ale.

We have since had our xmas dinner her, lavish portions of great food and not one remark from a table of 12 chef's, merely full bellies.

If your looking for a country pub, one that has memories spread around it's walls with plaques of previous punters who have now left us to the big pub in the sky, dogs under each stool, a garden that is nicely tucked away and great eating, then this is a place to give a try. I certainly look forward to my next visit and to trying out the steak next.

Keep up the good work and the english pub alive.

Jason

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Great village pub ,food excellant for value and taste Well worth a visit with lovely walking for dog owners and pub is dog fri”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Had a very nice work Xmas Do here, 3 course meal all homemade dishes, ample portions and very tasty. Had been in before for drinks only .A really friendly nice pub .
with these tough economic times pubs need every bit of business they can ... so being dog friendly is now becoming more acceptable GREAT:-)☆ as in the miserable winter its usually dog owners out walking in all weathers who helps keep pubs like this trading .

milton Keynes
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Cannot fault the staff, the chef is excellent, food was superb. The venue is clean and rustic and cosy. I would highly recommend this pub for a drink or a meal. And its Dog friendly.

Letchworth, United Kingdom
“Disgusted”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I thought I would treat my girlfriend to a meal in a country pub and we settled on this place as she liked the look of it, I was disgusted that dogs are allowed to roam while you're sat eating a meal. My girlfriend isn't a dog lover and was concentrating more where the dogs were than enjoying her meal. The landlord wasn't one bit interested and we will definitely not be returning there. My personal opinion is the place should be shut down, refurbished to get rid of the dog smell and re-opened with no dogs allowed. Disgusting place and should be avoided.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank goody0039
tezza99, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
This review is to the best of my knowledge nothing to do with our food products or service but is a personal vendetta, yes we do allow dogs in our premises as does all the pubs in the village but only if they are under control and not in the main body of our dining area.
Watford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Had a great meal at the Royal Oak, Woburn this evening. We had their Christmas menu, which was really good value. Freshly cooked food, great atmosphere, friendly welcome, really very good. Will definitely be back.