“Awful”

The Bell Hotel & Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Woburn
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel was the worst hotel that I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. Our room was small, with an old small bed and the en-suite was so tiny it was claustrophobic and the door didnt close properly. When we got back to the room after a wedding nearby the window did not open. The rope for the sash window was clearly broken. There were old holes left in the wall and no toilettries (shower gel, shampoo, conditioner). I could not stay in the room without the window opening (in August) and had to get up and call the night porter to try and change rooms. He did not apologise and said that room 11 was a 'good' room? Eventually he got up and gave me the key to a single bedroom upstairs. When I got up there, I don't think it had been used for a while as there was a large chemical leak from the bottom of the loo and dismall old bed under the window. About ten minutes after I had been in bed I felt something moving on my knee and realised that it was a big spider. Un-surprisingly I had an awful night's sleep. Sadly at breakfast the hotel did not redeem itself with a Basil Fawlty waiter and poor full English breakfast. I also found it asonishing and unacceptable that there is no lock on the main hotel door, it is simply open 24/7 and as guests you are not given a key to it so I can only assume that this wasnt a one-off. You have to manually lock your own bedroom door too which I'm sure not everyone realises so anyone could simply walk in at any time of night. I never complain and have never written a bad review but felt compelled to by my awful experience.

Room Tip: I would be surprised to hear there was a good room?
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natasha D
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The Bell Hotel & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2014

Dear Natasha,

We are very sorry to hear that your experience with us was not up to your expectations.

We are in process of renovating some of the rooms as we are aware they have some maintenance issues. Unfortunately the process sometimes is slow and long as our building is listed (as are all old English Inns Hotels) and any repair needs to be approved centrally in order to proceed with the maintenance work.

We would be happy if you and your partner come back and see the positive changes we have managed to do.

Looking forward to welcome you again!

Thank you for your honest feedback!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

after reading some of the reviews on TA i was a little worried about this hotel. can only say i think other people must have written about the wrong place. staff were very friendly and attentive, room was lovely and clean with a huge bed all the usual bits and pieces in the room. yes , some bits were a bit tired but everywhere was clean and not a bad smell anywhere. did not have an evening meal in the hotel but breakfast was lovely. lots of choices, including fresh fruits, cereal, pastries, toast, full english, smoked salmon .

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest thank you for your positive feedback! We are new team and we are very passionate about our work and our aim is always to keep our guest happy.
We are hoping to welcome you soon again!

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

What a disappointment. My partner and I stayed here for my friends wedding. I booked the hotel over a week prior to the date and was told as it is one of the few last rooms they have available and as it is school holidays the rooms were set at £95 a night. In utter shock i asked if that was the best he could do, as it was out of my budget. He finally dropped it to £80 which now I've stayed, I know was still very much over priced! Give me a travelodge over this anyday. After checking in we walked up to our room, it was like walking into a sauna, the hallway was cool considering how warm it was that day yet you step through the door into our room and it was ridiculously hot! There was no air con at all and after opening the windows to the road the temperature dropped ever so slightly to meet the heat outside. After returning from the wedding around 12am again we walked into a sauna, it was unbearable! My partner slept all of 10minutes when he fell asleep in a bath of cold water! I could not believe how hot this one room could be, the radiators were even warm although they weren't switched on! After what seemed like an endless night we decided enough was enough and got up at 6am to have cold showers to cool down. At 8am we went across to breakfast where the waitress couldn't have been nicer, she was the only credit to the hotel. The breakfast was nice, although a spoon of baked beans seemed extremely tight for a full breakfast. The pastries and fruit juices were nice and presented well. When it came to checking out I was behind someone else paying, another couple, and to my shock their room cost less than mine, which isn't professional and fair. When asked if my stay was okay I explained the issues we had, the answer I got was: okay, that will be £80. There was no attempt to apologise or rectify anything, I never complain but to have been asked and then completely ignored was just rude. Totally unimpressed. I regret paying all that money when it would have cost less to get a taxi home. If you need to stay at the hotel, avoid room 25! Next time I will read reviews before booking a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I am still confused I booked 2 rooms £60.per night B.&B. when we arrived we went to the Bell Hotel picked up the keys and we were sent over the road to the Bell Inn. We wondered around went up some rather scruffy stairs where we found our rooms. In fairness my room was O.K. a little tired but fine for a one night stay , my brother was not so pleased and said he felt his room was not clean ? In the evening we decided to go out to eat, being unsure of the food standards. Next morning breakfast was fine well presented and service good. If I was in the Woburn area again and all the other Hotels were fully booked I would risk another stay but next time make sure I had a room in the Hotel and hope it was better.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is in the Hotel side.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stopped by for a drink on several occasions but the pub side now seems to be under new management. The bar staff are slow and rude. Food was poor and all processed or frozen. The management seemed more interested in arguing with their customers rather than sorting out serious issues. Customer service is non existent. I will.NEVER go back! Plenty of other great venues in the village so don't make the mistake I did and visit the bell.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 16 June 2014

For 85 pounds a night you would expect a descent quality.Unfortunately the room was smelly (damp stain on the ceiling) ,noisy (my room was facing the street and I was awake by 6 am on Sunday morning by passing cars,quite large quantity for such a small village I have to say),small room,small bathroom.Not very clean either.No tea/coffee facilities in my room,full English breakfast looked terrible ( my friend had it-missing sausages and beans,poached egg was overdone),toasts burned,the guy serving breakfast looked miserable and rushed.
I have to complement the receptionist though- she was helpful ,allowed me to use the telephone few times,as I had no network connection on my mobile phone (no EE network in this area,unfortunately).We got back to the hotel around 2 am and the front door was open although no staff present at the reception.
I think the rooms need to be a bit updated,decorated ,new carpets and curtains will make a huge difference.Not impressed at all.

Room Tip: try not to have a room facing the street,probably facing the car park are better,although smaller
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Edyta D
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The Bell Hotel & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear guest, we are very sorry to hear that you are disappointed from your stay with us.
However we are new management team and we are taking on board a lot of new staff which is in a process of training at the moment.
We are also in process of painting and decorating our rooms .

Thank you for your honest feed back! We hope to see you again in near future and hope you will find our place much more refreshed and with much better service

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed for a friend's wedding near by , when we arrived want told where are room was which was across the road , when we got back at night the doorswere all locked and no staff around to ask ! Breakfast is toast and cereal not even worth it ! Can hear the restaurant music from 6am from the 1st rooms upstairs and when we checked out they said we needed to pay when we had already paid online the staff are rude and would never stay again !

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear guest , we are very sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us.
However we don’t have a night porter in the evenings and it is always required for people who attend weddings or parties and who would be back very late in the night to come and check in early so we can give them the key to the rooms and explain which door will be open.

As far as the payment procedure we apologise for the confusion, we did not charge the card at the time of the booking as sometimes we are given cards only to secure the booking , it was not noted on the booking card details whether to charge this particular card or the guest will pay themselves on departure.

Thank you for you honest feedback , we really appreciate it!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woburn
Longs Inn Hotel
The Knife & Cleaver
The Knife & Cleaver
#1 of 1 in Houghton Conquest
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes

Been to The Bell Hotel & Inn? Share your experiences!