“Very average, but good value”

The Bell Hotel & Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Woburn
Buckinghamshire
“Very average, but good value”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night with my sister in July. We were greeted at reception although it was confusing to work out which building to go to as it is split across a road. The outside of both buildings look warm and inviting. The staff seemed pleasant enough and told us where to find our room.

We were on the ground floor not far from reception. Our room was tiny but the decor was okay.

We ate in the restaurant for dinner and after having to find our own menu we also had to ask to order. There were only about 3 people in there so can't think what was keeping the waitress busy. I ordered a burger and my sister a pie. The pie was good but my chips were almost raw. We also had to ask to pay.

When we returned to our room we noticed you could enter the building around the back and found a fire escape door we could go through next to our bedroom. The fire door had been left wide open and wasn't visible from reception...it seemed quite unsafe to allow people to wander in and out at night without having to go through reception?!?

Our room was absolutely roasting and the window didn't open. Our bathroom was dirty and has exposed pipes and rusty down pipes. The sink was so small and had a shelf above it so we struggled to brush our teeth.

Breakfast was okay but,again, the service slow and lacklustre.

Overall it wasn't the best stay and I'm not sure id want to stay for more than one night. It's a great base to explore Woburn from, but if you're looking for a nice romantic or spacious hotel room as a treat then I'd look elsewhere. Very average.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This review is for the pub/restaurant only. There was no freindly welcome when entering the pub & ordering at the bar. I wouldn't go as far as to say rude but certainly made no more effort than the bare
minimum.

The menu is simple & fairly generic yet the chef still managed to make a poor job of it. Under cooked chips &
Lausange that was tempid in the middle.My steak had more fat than a weight watchers meeting on the 1st of Jan.

The waiter persisted to address me "mate" & all exchanges were followed by a cheers. Thou not a sliver service restaurant a little more decorum would have been appreciated.

• Stayed August 2014
grimsby
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed last weekend for 2 nights. Had a room on the top floor at the back of the hotel, nice and quiet. Room a bit on the small side but bathroom ok nice hot shower,shampoo/shower gel, handwash/handcream all provided. Tea/coffee in room also iron/ironing board. Loved the olde world feel of the hotel and inn. Breakfast at the inn was good as was the friendly service. We ate both evenings at the inn and found this also to be of good quality. Couldnt fault the hospitality and service (well done Wendy and the rest of the staff) throughly enjoyed our stay and would return again

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quieter as busy road to front of hotel
1 Thank jessieGrimsby
Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Yes not so impressed this time with my visit. It just felt less looked after, no shower/shampoo in the room. There was no running cold water in the room at all, there was a warning to say Water Extremely hot but did not expect the cold water to be running hot water too.

Hotel staff were friendly enough but in ways lacking a professional approach. Always important when being served shorts in the bar that the right glasses are used but again just felt a lack of professionalism and hospitality knowledge that I feel should be available and certainly in a hotel/inn that will I am guessing expecting customers from all over the world!

The bar area on Sunday evening was noisy with pub guests after 11pm which was a tad annoying - as a lot of swearing too. Having grew up in the area and using this pub/hotel when I come back to visit I feel somewhat less inclined to come back to this hotel and feel sad that this could be an excellent space for local and global visitors to the lovely village of Woburn but is somewhat lacking at this moment in time!

I hope that I am proved wrong and if I do come back later this year that I will be pleasantly surprised!

Room Tip: Maybe better to have rooms not in the pub zone and in the hotel area.
1 Thank BritHammy
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The Bell Hotel & Inn, responded to this review, 14 September 2014
Dear Guest, we are very sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay with us.

However we are a new team and we are in process of training new staff members. I hope on your next visit you will be pleasantly surprised from the professionalism of our team.
The shower gel and hand soap are always there in the bathrooms.
They are blue liquid in a transparent plastic bottles, which I am sure you will find in every Old English Inns Hotel, according to the brand standards. I am sorry if they were not up to your standards.

Looking to welcome you again!
Thank you for your honest feedback!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel was the worst hotel that I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. Our room was small, with an old small bed and the en-suite was so tiny it was claustrophobic and the door didnt close properly. When we got back to the room after a wedding nearby the window did not open. The rope for the sash window was clearly broken. There were old holes left in the wall and no toilettries (shower gel, shampoo, conditioner). I could not stay in the room without the window opening (in August) and had to get up and call the night porter to try and change rooms. He did not apologise and said that room 11 was a 'good' room? Eventually he got up and gave me the key to a single bedroom upstairs. When I got up there, I don't think it had been used for a while as there was a large chemical leak from the bottom of the loo and dismall old bed under the window. About ten minutes after I had been in bed I felt something moving on my knee and realised that it was a big spider. Un-surprisingly I had an awful night's sleep. Sadly at breakfast the hotel did not redeem itself with a Basil Fawlty waiter and poor full English breakfast. I also found it asonishing and unacceptable that there is no lock on the main hotel door, it is simply open 24/7 and as guests you are not given a key to it so I can only assume that this wasnt a one-off. You have to manually lock your own bedroom door too which I'm sure not everyone realises so anyone could simply walk in at any time of night. I never complain and have never written a bad review but felt compelled to by my awful experience.

Room Tip: I would be surprised to hear there was a good room?
1 Thank Natasha D
Dear Natasha,

We are very sorry to hear that your experience with us was not up to your expectations.

We are in process of renovating some of the rooms as we are aware they have some maintenance issues. Unfortunately the process sometimes is slow and long as our building is listed (as are all old English Inns Hotels) and any repair needs to be approved centrally in order to proceed with the maintenance work.

We would be happy if you and your partner come back and see the positive changes we have managed to do.

Looking forward to welcome you again!

Thank you for your honest feedback!
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

after reading some of the reviews on TA i was a little worried about this hotel. can only say i think other people must have written about the wrong place. staff were very friendly and attentive, room was lovely and clean with a huge bed all the usual bits and pieces in the room. yes , some bits were a bit tired but everywhere was clean and not a bad smell anywhere. did not have an evening meal in the hotel but breakfast was lovely. lots of choices, including fresh fruits, cereal, pastries, toast, full english, smoked salmon .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest thank you for your positive feedback! We are new team and we are very passionate about our work and our aim is always to keep our guest happy.
We are hoping to welcome you soon again!
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

What a disappointment. My partner and I stayed here for my friends wedding. I booked the hotel over a week prior to the date and was told as it is one of the few last rooms they have available and as it is school holidays the rooms were set at £95 a night. In utter shock i asked if that was the best he could do, as it was out of my budget. He finally dropped it to £80 which now I've stayed, I know was still very much over priced! Give me a travelodge over this anyday. After checking in we walked up to our room, it was like walking into a sauna, the hallway was cool considering how warm it was that day yet you step through the door into our room and it was ridiculously hot! There was no air con at all and after opening the windows to the road the temperature dropped ever so slightly to meet the heat outside. After returning from the wedding around 12am again we walked into a sauna, it was unbearable! My partner slept all of 10minutes when he fell asleep in a bath of cold water! I could not believe how hot this one room could be, the radiators were even warm although they weren't switched on! After what seemed like an endless night we decided enough was enough and got up at 6am to have cold showers to cool down. At 8am we went across to breakfast where the waitress couldn't have been nicer, she was the only credit to the hotel. The breakfast was nice, although a spoon of baked beans seemed extremely tight for a full breakfast. The pastries and fruit juices were nice and presented well. When it came to checking out I was behind someone else paying, another couple, and to my shock their room cost less than mine, which isn't professional and fair. When asked if my stay was okay I explained the issues we had, the answer I got was: okay, that will be £80. There was no attempt to apologise or rectify anything, I never complain but to have been asked and then completely ignored was just rude. Totally unimpressed. I regret paying all that money when it would have cost less to get a taxi home. If you need to stay at the hotel, avoid room 25! Next time I will read reviews before booking a hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woburn
Longs Inn Hotel
Longs Inn Hotel
#2 of 3 in Woburn
The Woburn Hotel
The Woburn Hotel
#1 of 3 in Woburn
Best Western Moore Place Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor
Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House)
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes

Been to The Bell Hotel & Inn? Share your experiences!